1648 Semi-V Jon Mod (Completed)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah... I went back through your build and saw what you meant. Even if it didn't leak now, it seems like it would be prone for it in the future. Sticking out like that seems to be a potential "bang into" hazzard.

You did an outstanding job on the build. Hope you're proud of it!

Simply awesome build! Congrats on finishing it and sorry to hear about the troubles on the maiden voyage. Looks like it wasn't all bad though... :)

Well, got a call from the marina. wasn't the side drain....ended up I have two cracks in my boat....they can't weld, so will epoxy and sand......oh....and the livewell pump worked for them....I had put a hose on it this morning to check and must've loosened the impeller from being stuck???? who knows...as long as it works, I'm ok.

Hence the the old saying "shakedown cruise" gotta shake it to find all the stuff you forgot to tighten,strap down, etc. By the looks of the fish you had a great maiden voyage. You did a great build by the way. =D>

OhioStateBuckeye said:
Hey awesome build! I watched your youtube videos and it turned out great. We virtually have almost the same build. I am doing an alumacraft 1648.
Where did you get your switch panels from? Also I was wondering if I could contact you in regards to the livewell plumbing. I am kind of nervous to drill holes in the bottom of my boat, so I want to make sure im not doing something stupid lol
Thanks,
Newwiremarine.com is where I had it custom built.

Johny25 said:
That live well is sweet Kevin!
Thanks!

Brine said:
Congrats on the fish.

You did an outstanding job on the build. Hope you're proud of it!
Thanks...yep...pretty happy with it!

TimRich said:
Simply awesome build! Congrats on finishing it and sorry to hear about the troubles on the maiden voyage. Looks like it wasn't all bad though... :)

Thank you!

bigwave said:
Hence the the old saying "shakedown cruise" gotta shake it to find all the stuff you forgot to tighten,strap down, etc. By the looks of the fish you had a great maiden voyage. You did a great build by the way. =D>

You know it! a necessary step. Wish I lived on the water...would make troubleshooting and repairs simpler....and Thank you.

With the weight you added to your boat it now has a new resting water line which can lead to finding cracks that you hadn't ever noticed before. My mouth was watering looking at those walleyes! Those are perfect eating size mmmmmmm....... I haven't had fresh eye in 18 years now.... :(

Johny25 said:
With the weight you added to your boat it now has a new resting water line which can lead to finding cracks that you hadn't ever noticed before. My mouth was watering looking at those walleyes! Those are perfect eating size mmmmmmm....... I haven't had fresh eye in 18 years now.... :(

Your basic Wisconsin Walleye Fish Fry....

Attachments

• 2012-03-19 18.47.39.jpg
    2012-03-19 18.47.39.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,528
Oh.... You had to go there huh =P~ ......lol. I could eat that everyday for the rest of my life and never complain

So my livewell issue is fixed! I have water in the tank now anytime! When the marina installed the pump in the transom, they had it turned so the outlet pipe was on the side and the hose could easily go under the seat....but I downloaded the installation manual (since the marina installed and I never received it) and the outlet port is supposed to be on top to flow up to the livewell....anyway, so it doesn't cavatate water it needs to be in this position, at least for an inline model.

So after doing that, just got back from a test run.....works like it was designed! happy camper....and the leak at the side is fixed also.! time to fish!

Attachments

• 2012-03-20 20.28.17.jpg
    2012-03-20 20.28.17.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,519
Hey Kevin, I am just curious, how do you catch those fish? Is that on a river? I have never fished for walleye's. I have had them for dinner before and they are yummy, especially with morel mushrooms had picked from the East Tennessee mountains. I could never seem to catch those bad boy's on lake Norris.

1/4oz jig and minnow...or lindy rig and minnow...these were on a river, yes....pre-spawn in about 7' of water in an eddy near incoming creeks....after spawn they will go deep until the hatch and then you'll find them deep in day and coming into shallows to feed in the evenings and mornings so rapala's or just slip bobbers and minnows/leeches work.

bigwave said:
Hey Kevin, I am just curious, how do you catch those fish? Is that on a river? I have never fished for walleye's. I have had them for dinner before and they are yummy, especially with morel mushrooms had picked from the East Tennessee mountains. I could never seem to catch those bad boy's on lake Norris.

Got some fresh morels (or as they're called around here "hickory chicks") in the fridge from this past weekend.

Nice fish. Glad to hear you figured out the pump issue.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
bigwave said:

Got some fresh morels (or as they're called around here "hickory chicks") in the fridge from this past weekend.

Nice fish. Glad to hear you figured out the pump issue.
Yeah....that pump was a curious thing...helps to read the instructions....I told the marina as they asked how I fixed it....it was news to them.....politely I said "did you read the instructions? it was in there". lol.....anyway, got that fixed and the drain line hose connection was actually what was thing that was leaking...even with the stop in place in the livewell, the water from outside the boat could leak thru the drain line connection by traveling backwards up the line.....so hopefully they tightened it up good and I'll now have a dry boat.

I'm not planning on doing anymore ordering, but I have 25% off coupon for the place I ordered my custom switch panel from. If you are interested and serious about ordering a panel, I'll give the coupon to one needy person....just DM me. Has to be used by end of June.

For months I've been trying to track down a leak in my boat....I always thought it was the livewell or some issue with my modification, but after numerous tests, I've found that the livewell is just fine.
The leak always happened more with someone riding in the boat with me than without. This past weekend afforded the opportunity to float the boat overnight without pulling it out of the water.....I launched it and just parked it without running it....checked in the morning...no leaks....ran the livewell...nothing. Went out fishing, didn't fill the livewell....and I didn't have a leak.....went out again, but this time filled the livewell and brought along the dogs...and low and behold, I had water in the bottom of the boat....I was so perplexed....well, I again took a look underneath the boat for problems...couldn't see anything...then I saw an area I couldn't see because the rubber stop was in that area....moved the boat back on the trailer and low and behold there was a 4" split right at the "semi-V" of the jon boat front end. The metal had thinned and weakened in the area where it rubs against the trailer stop. It only leaked when I had more weight up front to force water into the crack.

Shop said they can't weld it because the metal had been worn too thin (that's why it cracked) and said if they touched the area to weld it, it would explode to a huge hole....so I'm at a bit loss....tonight I applied 3M 5200 to the spot and will just hope for the best. Also thinking of lowering the point of the front trailer stop hits the boat. What's your thoughts?

Attachments

• boat repair 2012-07-13 001 (800x600).jpg
    boat repair 2012-07-13 001 (800x600).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,365
Kevin I would have them cut a piece of aluminum, put a break in the center where bow V is and weld it on. A little paint and it will look like it was always there.

Latest posts