1976 16' Lund Pike D Reborn

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jasper60103 said:
milli said:
This boat is kicking my butt on these floors. My last two were easy square cuts and this one requires much more precision. I will be glad when it's over and I get to fish!

I just stumbled across this build and wanted to say you're doing a great job!
And certainly understand wanting fishing time, and it goes quick in Minnesota.
Good luck and I'll continue to follow your progress.
-jasper

Yeah this year might be the shortest ever! Woke up to puddles of ice this morning.

I also cut every single wire in the boat except the wires running from the motor to the key switch. Everything else went to either broken lights or no where. I reran the main starter wires under the floor along the side. It really cleaned up the way it looks. I'm going to pick up a fuse block and rerun my lights and interior lights off of.

The trolling motor will have its own battery now up front so I was able to shorten down that wire as well. I might run a 3rd battery for extras too?

Handful of wires I took out.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 960
I got more done on the floors. I will get some pictures. So far the floor is roughed in and I will be doing a final figment tomorrow. Then Wednesday I will get the carpet done and Thursday I plan to take it out for a test ride to see how it is. Then Friday I have to get it loaded up and head 3 hours north for some fishing.

I ran up to the store this morning to pick up a new bilge pump and install kit. It says it will do 600 GPH (I hope that is enough). That will go in today. I also plan to finish the last section of flooring today. I am going to be cutting it really close with getting it done before my trip. (I am really glad however that I decided to get the floors done before my trip). If I get the floors in today and it is still daylight I would really like to get it out on the lake tonight to see what it is like. If I do I will post up some pictures.

perchjerker said:
looking good

I don't know if you mentioned it but check your wheel bearings and tires before the 3 hour trip

sorry I see now that you did

good job

Yeah, that was one of the first things I did. They were shot. The old tires were dry rotted and could barely hold air.

jasper60103 said:
That thing should be rock solid with 0.75" plywood.
Keep up the good work ! =D>

-jasper

I searched everywhere to find out what thickness of plywood to use. I ended up going with the 3/4 inch because I didn't want the floor to dip or bow when you walked on it. I believe that when Lund made the boat they used 1/2 inch but they also used the foam as part of the support so the floor didn't bow. That foam was so water logged that it would take years to dry it out.

I also had to piece the wood together yesterday and today to make it all fit without removing the seats and benches. I did the floors in 4 sections.

Almost done with the floors! It's been a lot harder than any other boat I have ever done.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 942
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 941
I also found that if I hold my phone sideways when taking the pictures they work right when putting them on here. So I will start doing that from now on. Thanks for putting up with sideways pictures!

The back of the boat is now carpeted and all the flooring throughout the boat is screwed down in place.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 926
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 926
Tomorrow will be a long day between work and night school. I plan to get the bulge pump installed and the new control box cables installed! I plan to leave the console the way it is until after my trip because I know that it is going to take a lot longer and I want to install a fuse block and a onboard charger.

I have also decided to put the bow mount trolling battery in the rod holder along side of the boat close as far up front as possible. I want to keep the front platform clear and clean for fishing!

So I ordered new cables for the control box and when installing them yesterday the plastic sleeve that connects it to the shift lever on the side of the motor cracked and broke. Luckily I only had to drive an hour over to WI to get a new one! Now my throttle and shifting is buttery smooth.

Today the bilge pump will go in and the carpet will be done.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 805
This boat has been a lot more work than I originally thought. It was in way worse condition then what I was expecting. I'm really glad for the folks on here. With out it I am not sure If I would have gotten this far. I have learned a lot along the way. I am far from finished, however the boat will be in the lake tomorrow for a final test run before my trip. As long as everything goes smoothly on my trip and nothing else breaks I plan to redo the console and install a new trolling motor and a platform up front. I want it to be storage for the battery and extra gear. More pictures will be put up tonight of what all I get done tonight.

List of things to do today:
*finish carpet on floors
*install bilge pump
*install battery trays
*wire up the batteries
*get another sheet of plywood to finish up the rod locker and driver's seat

I plan to have 3 seats in the boat total. Drivers seat, a seat up front, and a rear seat on the back bench. I don't plan to ever have more than 3 people in the boat at once. Next year as my family is growing I plan to buy a newer bigger boat. I would like to get an even wider boat for stability. This boat works for now and it is so far the most stable boat I have owned. My beam is 72 inches. My next boat I would like to be 84 inches or wider. Until then I will fish the heck out of this boat!!!!

milli said:
This boat has been a lot more work than I originally thought. It was in way worse condition then what I was expecting. I'm really glad for the folks on here. With out it I am not sure If I would have gotten this far. I have learned a lot along the way. I am far from finished, however the boat will be in the lake tomorrow for a final test run before my trip. As long as everything goes smoothly on my trip and nothing else breaks I plan to redo the console and install a new trolling motor and a platform up front. I want it to be storage for the battery and extra gear. More pictures will be put up tonight of what all I get done tonight.

List of things to do today:
*finish carpet on floors
*install bilge pump
*install battery trays
*wire up the batteries
*get another sheet of plywood to finish up the rod locker and driver's seat

I plan to have 3 seats in the boat total. Drivers seat, a seat up front, and a rear seat on the back bench. I don't plan to ever have more than 3 people in the boat at once. Next year as my family is growing I plan to buy a newer bigger boat. I would like to get an even wider boat for stability. This boat works for now and it is so far the most stable boat I have owned. My beam is 72 inches. My next boat I would like to be 84 inches or wider. Until then I will fish the heck out of this boat!!!!

I've enjoyed following your build so far.
And I think you will love it after all is said and done.
Thanks for sharing.
jasper

Over my lunch break I found a guy on CL that was selling a used trolling motor, Anchor with rope, brand new winch, and some used life jackets. I ended up getting everything for a really great deal. The trolling motor is a transom mount 36lb thrust. Its older but works and will get me back to shore if my motor acts up.

I installed the winch over my lunch break today. It is a pretty large one compared to what I had before so I had to drill new holes to make it fit. Looks great and best of all it works! My old one was ripping and rotten. (not safe)

I also figured out how to move the boat further forward on the trailer. I can adjust the winch bracket to get another 1-2 inches of room. I feel that the trailer is a bit to small for the boat but by moving it a bit might help some and not have so much of a over hang.

It's 9:30 here and it is getting so close to being done. I had to take a break for a minute so I figured I would give y'all an update.