20' Lowe Olympic Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gators5220 said:
Nice work on those fish, little advice if you want it on the flounder, mud minnows are worth their weight in gold! Use whatever size lead jighead can get you to the bottom in chartreuse or red prob like a 1/4 to 1/2 oz, with a little hair on it if you want. They gobble em up!
Also nice work again on the trailer, attention to detail is also amazing as always! =D> =D> =D>
Thanks for the fishing tip Gator, I caught some of those in my trap, but didn't know what to use them for. I had some gulp
on a 1/4 oz jig and was bouncing it off the bottom when the flounder woke up. I'm getting better at catchin'. :)
bigwave said:
Nice trailer, good price too. Were the old bunk boards pt? With a little time and money your range will be unlimited.
Hey BigWave, those were saturated with PT and you can see on the tip end where it was always dipped in SW that the
end was gone. I had the springs and shackles replaced, luckly the axel and bearings were good. The target is some really skinny water up in Homosassa that has a lot of Trout, we'll see. Thanks for looking guys. :)

Hey Jerry! The boat is looking good!
I haven't heard from you in a while so I thought I would look you up!
BTW Karen says Hi!

Jerry, I know I'm rushing you but someone else spoke of your bunks. How or what are you going to do with them? Sorry so brief but got to run?

whistler said:
Jerry, I know I'm rushing you but someone else spoke of your bunks. How or what are you going to do with them? Sorry so brief but got to run?
Hey Whistler,
Still in the painting phase (Oil base DeRusto primer + Gloss White TC), but beginning to think about bunk replacement.

DSC00706.jpg

One is to use PT wood bunks with a heavy plastic shim between them and where they they contact the aluminum.
This is commonly used on boat lifts where the hoist beams contact the dock pilings.

DSC00702.jpg

Another idea is to use 2X6 aluminum box beams 12' long, bolting two together (4X6) on each side and caping with
a 1X4X12 composite/synthetic dock board. Pricey
I'll have to check with a local metal reclaiming business to see what they have first. Jerry

Sorry I was so short with my post but I'll explain. I guess all this pressure treated bunk stuff went right over my head or I just missed it when I replace mine early last yr. Now I'm not wanting to tear it all apart so to keep things simple I'm going with a prepackaged bunk slicks from Bass Pro. I pick up the 3x16 size. One of the reviews says their not solid but this brand appears to be. They had two brands and the other brand appeared it had open channels running length ways. That may be the one the review was speaking about. ??? There are probably other (read better) things out there if I looked around but this is quick and it appears it will take care of my concerns! I know some on this forum are buying HDPE boards and/or Wal-Mart cutting boards and attaching them to their bunks. There are some very resourceful readers on this forum! You being one of them! :wink:

Here is an update on the trailer. Paint is complete, two new tires mounted, fenders finished and mounted, new front crossmember fitted (needs paint), winch purchased, led lights purchased, and wiring started.
DSC00724s.jpg

DSC00723s.jpg

DSC00722s.jpg

Happy Holidays to all.....Jerry :D

ONCE AGAIN IM IN AHH OF YOUR WORK. THE TRAILER IS LOOKIN' GREAT!!! HOW HAVE YOU BEEN? LONG TIME NO POST. JUST BEEN WORKING AND DAILY LIFE KIDS, WIFE LONG DRIVE EVERYDAY . THANK GOODNESS CHRISTMAS IS ALMOST HERE . JUST THE OTHER DAY IT WAS HALLOWEEN . WHERE DOES TIME GO? I POSTED A COUPLE OF THINGS ON MY BOAT MORE TO COME.

Badbagger said:
Nice work.
Thanks Badger, like the boat, it's a work in progeress. Thanks for looking and Happy Holidays
bguy said:
ONCE AGAIN IM IN AHH OF YOUR WORK. THE TRAILER IS LOOKIN' GREAT!!! HOW HAVE YOU BEEN? LONG TIME NO POST. JUST BEEN WORKING AND DAILY LIFE KIDS, WIFE LONG DRIVE EVERYDAY . THANK GOODNESS CHRISTMAS IS ALMOST HERE . JUST THE OTHER DAY IT WAS HALLOWEEN . WHERE DOES TIME GO? I POSTED A COUPLE OF THINGS ON MY BOAT MORE TO COME.
Hey Brian, good to hear you are still kikkin....just need a bigger shovel. Happy Hollidays to ya.

do you have anything left over from alluminum square stock. do you still have the connection where you bought yours at. i want to redo the back of the boat over and larger casting deck. i am also going to use it to sit and drive. i want to add a two person seat cushion to sit on and mount a removable seat mount for a second seat like the front.

Hey Brian, Got the 2X2 Box at Lowes....10' for $23. Bertha White Framework Item #: 15491 | Model #: 47121
The 1/8 X 4 X 10 sheets of aluminum DP came from Cox Aluminum on Commerce Ave.

I also got a lot of aluminum at STR Metal Recycling on Ridge Rd that was a lot cheaper.
I took all my scraps to them to recycle and got about $20 :)
Keep Hacking.........Jerry

Well I got the metal today at American metals in sable park near fairgrounds. I got a 30'r for $35 and a load of L brackets. I showed them your boat and they were in aaah!

Very Cool Brian.
I got the trailer completed so I'm more mobile now.

Attachments

• DSC00471.JPG
    DSC00471.JPG
    357.4 KB · Views: 1,449
  • DSC00475.JPG
    DSC00475.JPG
    365.8 KB · Views: 1,449
bigwave said:
The trailer looks better than new.....you got one heck of a deal on that trailer. Great job. =D>
Thanks BigWave, I'm happy with the results. Now if this weather would just clear up.........

Sure, just took these. LED's are from Harbor Freight.
The PVC is 1 1/4" and the aluminum bracket makes a 90 degree bend
downward. Stainless Steel screw goes thru the whole thing.
I'm not happy with the floppy rubber license plate holder, to easy to
cut and steal. I will replace it with a metal (DP?) one. :)

Attachments

• DSC00492.JPG
    DSC00492.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 1,431
  • DSC00494.JPG
    DSC00494.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 1,431
  • DSC00493.JPG
    DSC00493.JPG
    303.3 KB · Views: 1,431

Latest posts