20' Lowe Olympic Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mike, You were asking about the number of rivets a while back
and I did a quick general estimate at about 2,000. Got to figure out hatches,
anchor storage, and TM arrangement for the front next. Finish the console too! :)

Wow, your boat looks awesome. Very clean, professional looking work. Have you figured out what you are doing for a motor yet?

olbrazosDon said:
Two questions for you Jerry.
1 is the bracing for the floor already painted
2 what year is your vw bug
Yes Don, It is 2x2 aluminum box used for screen porches. Comes with a nice baked white enamel finish.
The "Stuka" is a '73 standard bug (whats left of it). It is stripped inside, very light and very fast. Here is a link to
Photobucket. https://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg261/JerrySweet/Stuka/

Derek said:
Wow, your boat looks awesome. Very clean, professional looking work. Have you figured out what you are doing for a motor yet?
Thank you Derek, I have a 50 Evenrude laying on the floor in the garage, that I'm praying will check out ok. [-o<
Currently, I'm stalled figuring out the front deck layout for the TM, Anchor Roller/storage, seat, and hatches.
Thanks for looking guys......Jerry :)

Well the deck layout is starting to come together.
Here are my two "Speed Bumps" for today, the mount for the anchor roller and the Trolling Motor.
Picked up a 10' stick of 2X2 angle at lowes land and started slicing.
DSC011222.jpg

DSC011223.jpg

Cut 4, 6" sections of angle
DSC011227.jpg

stack them together to form a box
DSC011229.jpg

DSC0112210.jpg

used 2, 12" sections for each side of the TM......Checking the wedge of the bracket
DSC0112211.jpg

rivet the bracket
DSC0112212.jpg

Check for fit and duplicate for the other side
DSC0112213.jpg

the back of the anchor bracket
DSC0112214.jpg

Back of the TM bracket
DSC0112215.jpg

Back of the TM bracket
DSC0112216.jpg

Clean deck again :)
DSC0112217.jpg

This is a truly a remarkable project and I have really enjoyed watching your progress. My sons and I are considering a project boat and we would like to frame out the deck similar to the way you have done it with the 2x2 aluminum. I keep looking at all of your photos and there are two things I can't figure out. (1)Can you tell me what you used for the perimeter of the frame? More specifically, the curved pieces that run down both sides of the inner hull. (2)How did you attach it to the inside of the hull?

Thanks for looking and the comments guys.
Daddio said:
This is a truly a remarkable project and I have really enjoyed watching your progress. My sons and I are considering a project boat and we would like to frame out the deck similar to the way you have done it with the 2x2 aluminum. I keep looking at all of your photos and there are two things I can't figure out. (1)Can you tell me what you used for the perimeter of the frame? More specifically, the curved pieces that run down both sides of the inner hull. (2)How did you attach it to the inside of the hull?
Sure Dadio,
First I marked off a line on the inside from the front to the back using a short piece of 2x4 (looked about right).
Here are a few pics for clarity.
The aluminum is a 1X2 "C" section 10' long which I marked at 1' intervals and drilled out the holes before starting.
DSC00289.jpg

The 1X2 is just flexible enough to force, starting from the front, into position along the line with some clamps.
DSC00291.jpg

Looking to the front
DSC00295.jpg

looking aft, you can see the nyoc nuts between the deck beams
DSC00294.jpg

The holes in the "C" section are now a guide to drill from the inside out. I fastened with Stainless Steel 4-40 X1 1/2 screws
with Nyloc nuts.
DSC00293.jpg

Hope this helps Dadio, get some Tin and get started, it's a great project for those boys too! :)

Thanks Mike, The Videographer was pretty good and asked
some intelligent questions, it was a very laid back interview.
Back to boating.....:)

Been busy as ....... I just ordered my last 4X10 sheet of diamond plate (that makes 3 total).
Got the fuel tank, water separator, and line plumbed back to the motor/transom.
I finally got some continuous hinges for the decking so I can finish what was cut out.
I picked up bilge pump kit and thru hull so that can be installed.
I got the console roof cut out and I'm working up the nerve to cut and bend the lexan for the windshield next. 2X4 sheet $50 at Lowes Land
I must stop to fish once in a while, I'm taking a USPS Safe boating class on tues evenings, and
I'm hacking hard to get this done! Safe Boating :)
Anchor Hatch
DSC001382.jpg

Again
DSC001392.jpg

Trolling motor battery boxes and fresh water tank
DSC001442.jpg

Fuel line to motor and bilge pump to be installed
DSC001402.jpg

House and start battery boxes to be installed
DSC001412.jpg

Access hatch for Fuel tank and shutoff valve
DSC001422.jpg

Fuel tank and shutoff valve
DSC001432.jpg

Looking great Jerry! I really like your anchor davit/hatch setup! I know going is slow when you are thinking and doing at the same time and do not want to make a mistake! I am slow anyway but working with the aluminum is very time consuming, I know.

Just had to pick at you a little bit, keep up the great work you are doing! :D

I know this is premature but do you plan on keeping all the aluminum shinny once finished! If so you just got another full time job you probably going to have to work into your already busy schedule. :(

Latest posts