20' Lowe Olympic Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whistler said:
I know this is premature but do you plan on keeping all the aluminum shinny once finished! If so you just got another full time job you probably going to have to work into your already busy schedule. :(
You're right Whistler! A lot of upkeep and a sunburned wazoo! :lol: I plan on painting it with white/grey Herculiner which can still be pretty bright here in Florida. I'll just have to hope for the best, and see how it works out. Thanks for looking. Jerry

Jonboat Jerry said:
whistler said:
I know this is premature but do you plan on keeping all the aluminum shinny once finished! If so you just got another full time job you probably going to have to work into your already busy schedule. :(
You're right Whistler! A lot of upkeep and a sunburned wazoo! :lol: I plan on painting it with white/grey Herculiner which can still be pretty bright here in Florida. I'll just have to hope for the best, and see how it works out. Thanks for looking. Jerry

Jonboat Jerry, I'm going to run a little off topic here but it all your fault! :wink: You mentioned Herculiner which is a Brand name. Have you used this specific product before and if so I presume you were happy with the results. You're planning on using it again! If you haven't used it before what did you base your decision on to go with Herculiner, vs. the many other brands of similar type products.

whistler said:
Jonboat Jerry, I'm going to run a little off topic here but it all your fault! :wink: You mentioned Herculiner which is a Brand name. Have you used this specific product before and if so I presume you were happy with the results. You're planning on using it again! If you haven't used it before what did you base your decision on to go with Herculiner, vs. the many other brands of similar type products.
Hi Whistler, Many people here in Florida, (air boaters and a bazillion 4X4's) are using it with few complaints.
It's on son's pick up and airboat and wears well. I watch the Jeep and airboat forums too.
There are users on this forum who have used it with good results. (search for posts)
It is readily available from most of the prolific Auto Stores around here and not too hard on the pocketbook.
Also is available in white and lite grey which is helpful in Fla. That's about it, hope that helps.....Jerry :)

Yikes, Here it is, end of Sept, start of Oct and I'm still not in the water!
This weekend I sliced up that big piece of DP that was on the bow and
added some hinges and hatches. Installed a small clamshell on the anchor hatch
to make space for the rope when the anchor was out. I know how everyone likes
pics, so enjoy....Jerry
Center hatch is for access to the fresh water tank
DSC001502.jpg

looking down from console
DSC001482.jpg

same, but with hatches open
DSC001472.jpg

starboard side
DSC001452.jpg

Here's that clamshell
DSC001512.jpg

again
DSC001492.jpg

WOW, looks great Jerry, are you cutting with a fine tooth wood blade? I had thought about buying an aluminum oxide blade at one time but never did..... 8)

Hey Jerry,

I read a thread on here somewhere where someone had thier boat done with white lineX. They too were worried about it being too bright, Turns out it was no problem for them. Dont' worry about the white being too bright, Most glass boats are gloss white and dont blind anyone, so a textured white will be even easier on the eyes.

I used Tuff coat on mine and it really cut down on the heat. Both Herculiner and Tuff coat are rubberized non skid and it really works good. I complained alot about the application of the Tuff coat but looking back now it really wasnt that bad. It was Just soo hot in late July and early Aug here that it made anything outdoors unbearable.

Herculiner doesn't require a primer like Tuff coat does so the application will be much easier.

mmf said:
WOW, looks great Jerry, are you cutting with a fine tooth wood blade? I had thought about buying an aluminum oxide blade at one time but never did..... 8)
Hi Mike, I'm using fine tooth (80 or better) Carbide Cabinet blades on all 3 saws. The aluminum is so soft that it's not an issue.
I always check, after making a cut, for heat buildup but so far everything stays reasonably cool. The flecks of aluminum
coming off the blade are incendiary though, so I wear glasses. I'll replace the blades after the project is done.

reedjj said:
Hey Jerry,

I read a thread on here somewhere where someone had thier boat done with white lineX. They too were worried about it being too bright, Turns out it was no problem for them. Dont' worry about the white being too bright, Most glass boats are gloss white and dont blind anyone, so a textured white will be even easier on the eyes.

I used Tuff coat on mine and it really cut down on the heat. Both Herculiner and Tuff coat are rubberized non skid and it really works good. I complained alot about the application of the Tuff coat but looking back now it really wasnt that bad. It was Just soo hot in late July and early Aug here that it made anything outdoors unbearable.

Herculiner doesn't require a primer like Tuff coat does so the application will be much easier.

Hey Reed, Thanks for the heads up on Herculiner and Tuff coat. It's always good to hear from someone that's had first hand experience with a product. Been a while.....are you still fishin the G3?
Thanks for looking guys. :)

best build of 2011 ??? anwyays, do you know when you plan to have this all finished ? also just curious why you put a fresh water tank on board ?

V8_TITAN said:
best build of 2011 ??? anwyays, do you know when you plan to have this all finished ? also just curious why you put a fresh water tank on board ?
Wow Titan, I didn't think it was that good, but thanks.

Every month, I keep saying "by the end of the month" and I under estimate the amount of work to be done, so
the latest guess is Oct 30. :)

As for the FW Tank, the boat came with a very old gas tank that I didn't trust, but was serviceable after some cleaning.
After catching a few slimy bloody fish, the deck gets pretty messed up. Plus there's the salt water all over the place.
I like to clean the boat during the down time on the way back in, so when we get to the dock there is less to be done.
Thanks for looking....Jerry

good idea, my girlfriends uncle took us to key west on his 30 foot scarab last month to go lobster diving, i have to admit it is nice to have freshwater to spray on things when you way out there.

Also forgot to ask, how much did you spend on the materials for the deck ? like the diamond plate, and the aluminum? square tubing ?

I too am interested in the 2X2 tubing but for another project. I checked the Lowes website locally but was unable to locate it. I switched to a Lowes in Fl. as you stated it was commonly used in Fl. but was still unable to locate it. Can you help me locate it with a part number or a direct link to Lowes or Home Depot?

You also mentioned using an 80 tooth blade to cut the diamond plate. I probably asking a dumb question but is this for a circular saw. jig saw or saws all etc.

whistler said:
I too am interested in the 2X2 tubing but for another project. I checked the Lowes website locally but was unable to locate it. I switched to a Lowes in Fl. as you stated it was commonly used in Fl. but was still unable to locate it. Can you help me locate it with a part number or a direct link to Lowes or Home Depot?

You also mentioned using an 80 tooth blade to cut the diamond plate. I probably asking a dumb question but is this for a circular saw. jig saw or saws all etc.

Whistler,
Here is HD's info for EZ SCREEN https://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202453633/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Here is Lowes Land info for BERTHA https://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=56499-84974-47127&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3035589&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
Price should be around $30 for 10' stick and $25 for 8'.

I Have a Black&Decker Table saw (10" blade), a Porter Cable compound miter saw (10" blade), and
a Skill Saw (7" blade). All are 80 tooth, carbide tip. Hope this helps...Jerry :)

V8_TITAN said:
good idea, my girlfriends uncle took us to key west on his 30 foot scarab last month to go lobster diving, i have to admit it is nice to have freshwater to spray on things when you way out there.
Also forgot to ask, how much did you spend on the materials for the deck ? like the diamond plate, and the aluminum? square tubing ?
Titan, I will have 3 4X10X1/16 sheets of DP @$125 ea, 1 sheet of 4X10X1/8 @ $250 (for Console), 10-12 sticks of 2X2 square tubing @$30 ea., at least 20-30 pkgs of pop rivets @$5 ea. 10-12 pkgs of Capri clips @$5 ea. by the time it's done.
Total is probably north of $1600, but I'm sure my S.O. can tell you to the penny! :lol:
This does not include the TM @$500, H.B 798ciSI @$700, VHF radio (left over from a previous boat), and all the hardware items steering wheel, breaker panel, batteries, fuel tank, wiring etc....... jerry

Jonboat Jerry said:
Whistler,
Here is HD's info for EZ SCREEN https://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202453633/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Here is Lowes Land info for BERTHA https://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=56499-84974-47127&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3035589&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1
Price should be around $30 for 10' stick and $25 for 8'.

I Have a Black&Decker Table saw (10" blade), a Porter Cable compound miter saw (10" blade), and
a Skill Saw (7" blade). All are 80 tooth, carbide tip. Hope this helps...Jerry :)

Thanks for your quick response, an taking the time to look those up! None of the local stores carry the tubing. :( I'll look around at some a little further away and maybe I can locate some. Now If I'd leave ya alone you could get something done! Thanks Again!

Im still using the G3 I love it! It is exactly what I would have gone for if they made one! Maybe a bigger motor LOL. Im going to head out tomorrow morning to Nassau sound and Little Talbot Island for a little saltwater action.

Jerry- First of all thanks for replying to my post on Sept 14. I did end up buying a 16' Lowe jon boat but it's fairly new and not much of a "project boat". The price for the boat trailer and bow mount trolling motor was so good I had to get it. A real steal! The boys and I are going to add some storage (framed out in aluminum like yours) and a live well so there will will be some work to do on it. I kind of hate to see you finish this project because i am enjoying watching your progress so much. Thanks again.

Daddio said:
Jerry- First of all thanks for replying to my post on Sept 14. I did end up buying a 16' Lowe jon boat but it's fairly new and not much of a "project boat". The price for the boat trailer and bow mount trolling motor was so good I had to get it. A real steal! The boys and I are going to add some storage (framed out in aluminum like yours) and a live well so there will will be some work to do on it. I kind of hate to see you finish this project because i am enjoying watching your progress so much. Thanks again.
That's great news Daddio, congratulations on your new ride! (pics please)
Now you guys can go bend some rods and we will be looking forward to pics on your mod. =D>

I guess I better update this thread before someone comes nockin' on my door.
The DP arrived Tuesday, so I started hacking on the hatches.
Got the Starboard side done and the Port side almost complete before I realized I hadn't taken any pics! :(
Starboard side looking aft
DSC001522.jpg

again
DSC001532.jpg

Port side looking aft, last one to go
DSC001552.jpg

trial fit
DSC001542.jpg

back was bothering me so I moved to the table saw. Drilling the holes in the hatch. Trim strip for the hinge is on the right
DSC001582.jpg

drilling the trim strip
DSC001642.jpg

trial fit
DSC001652.jpg

riveting in the trim strip and the hatch
DSC00166.jpg

Done! :D
DSC00167.jpg

Next is wiring and a windshield....anyone have a go at bending lexan?

Just wanted to say that I have been watching your build for sometime now and love the way it is turning out. Keep up the great work.

When I was building patio covers and carports out of aliminum "W" roof panels and extruded gutter recievers and fascia, I used an 80 tooth plywood carbide tipped blade and lots of wax.(on radial arm saw, shop pre-cuts and skillsaw, on-site cutting) That stick in a cardboard tube is best. It's bees wax and paraffin mixed. It lubricates the blade and reduces heat build up while cutting through the metal. Cuts like it was butter.

Great build, Jerry. I have been watching with great interest.

Latest posts