20' Lowe Olympic Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting to mock up the console.
DSC00193.jpg

DSC00195.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

Cooter, you bet! It's a common 2X2 box used to make screen porches so common here in Florida.
It can be found in Lowes, Home Depot, and a host of other places I'm sure.
It is probably over kill, but it is readily available here. The sheet used in the console is 1/8 thick
T6061 (over kill again)....Jerry

Jerry, boat is looking good man. I meant to ask you, after the rustoleum primer you used has had some time to dry now, is it pretty hard? that is, does it skin up easily? Just curious as I have never used their latex base aluminum primer before but it looks great on yours!.... :?

The Latex based primer is durable, but I think the oil based primer is a little better.
I walk around on the inside working on it, and it shows no sign of scuffing or wear.
If I move a heavy piece of metal over a rib section, it is possible to scrape or gouge
through it. The areas that have a top coat applied over the primer are tough as nails
so the latex primer bonds very well and it's easy to work with.
Over all, I'm happy with the results. :)

Getting down to the expensive stuff now.
Made two dry storage lockers for the back, out of storage bins from Lowes. They were too tall
so I cut them on the table saw about 3" around the top. Put the bottoms inside the tops and pop
riveted to the correct height.
DSC00208.jpg

DSC00202.jpg

Assembling all the pieces, the orange tank is for fresh/not potable water washdown
Outside of the console is primed
DSC00211.jpg

Leaning post checked for fit. 36" cooler will fit underneath
DSC00212.jpg

Bait well in it's location
DSC00213.jpg

Reedjj, MMF, this should fill in the blanks a little better. :)

Is there going to be a shower in that center console? :p

Just kidding this project is blowing my mind! Great work. Framing looks absolutely beautiful.

OK Jerry, breaks over, time for you to get to decking!.......just kidding! It's looking very nice! :wink:
PS.....man, you could HIDE a lot of fish inside that center console!

hyzerbomber said:
Is there going to be a shower in that center console? :p
Just kidding this project is blowing my mind! Great work. Framing looks absolutely beautiful.
LOWEBIGJON said:
NICE RIG..
Thanks for the comments guys, hmmmm....shower!
mmf said:
OK Jerry, breaks over, time for you to get to decking!.......just kidding! It's looking very nice! :wink:
PS.....man, you could HIDE a lot of fish inside that center console!
10-4 on the decking Mike. Hurricane coming up from the south, :eek: so I have to get this thing
covered up, out from under the house, and out on the lift in back pronto!

This boat build is wild. I can't wait to see more pictures.

Ordered 2 sheets 4 x 10 x 1/16 of D.P. today for the decking. Should be delivered in a couple of days.
Mocking up trolling motor location
DSC00217.jpg

Bait well roughed in
DSC00218.jpg

No Clamps! Everything riveted in!
DSC00219.jpg

The back of the bus
DSC00220.jpg

Got to get that door installed tomorrow
DSC00221.jpg

Thanks for looking guys
79Stroker said:
wow, thats coming along very nicely
Thanks Stroker, it's a work in progress :)
mmf said:
Bummer on the hurricane, I hope it misses you!!!!
We got lucky on this one......Looks like the hurricane is coming up your side Reed!

Yea, I kno! Not looking fwd to my weekend getting ruined....Funny thing is I found out about it reading this thread.. As soon as its relatively safe...maybe Sat afternoon or Sun Morning I'm going to take advantage of the heavy rains and storm surge to see how far upstream Black Creek North fork I can get!

Maybe I will find me a few stray kayaks or even a canoe..LOL!

Here is this weeks effort,
Got the console painted
DSC00222.jpg

Got the door on
DSC00223.jpg

Started the decking, got the bait well located. Blue tape is where the hatches are.
DSC00225.jpg

Paper on the console door is to protect against dings.
DSC00226.jpg

nother view
DSC00224a.jpg

79Stroker said:
im addicted to your build, boats looking great
Thanks for looking Stroker, she's a work in progress.
Hope to get the motor checked out next week and if it's good to go, I'll get it rigged and
in the water. :)