270Handiman's 1649 Custom Flat Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next was the rear bench

100_4257.jpg

A few cuts, some paint on the new drivers seat base, and it now looks like this

100_5284.jpg

The next project is what I called "gutter guards" when I was working on them. This boat has huge ribs, so the floor was left short on both sides leaving this "gutter" where leaves, trash, cell phones, wedding rings, shotgun shells, and other items could get lost forever. You can see what I mean here

100_4506.jpg

The area in question

100_4029.jpg

100_4031.jpg

100_4039.jpg

My thinking from the start was to leave the floor as a solid sheet of aluminum, and have separate pieces on each side that would fit around the ribs and attach to the floor.

This meant that they had to be strong enough to cantilever out and still support the weight of a person standing on them. I ended up going with 1/4" x 6" 5086 plate. I bought 1 piece, had it cut in half, and brought it to the house.

I have a gap in my pictures of most of this process, but you can see here where I had the piece for this side cut to length, and laid in place pushed up against the ribs

100_5283.jpg

And if you look REALLY closely, you can see that I scribed a line to mark the cutouts required. I don't have any pics of the process, but once I had it all layed out, I set it up on my bench and got to work. The following pics show the end result before paint. What you don't see here is basically 2 weeks of cutting, cussing, test fitting and grinding! ](*,)

The "tool" I used to scibe all the lines are shown in these 2 pics

100_5287.jpg

100_5290.jpg

100_5285.jpg

100_5286.jpg

100_5288.jpg

100_5289.jpg

100_5291.jpg

The of course I had to paint them to match

100_5292.jpg

I had to put some thought into making the existing holes line up with the new holes I had to drill in the gutter guards because the existing holes let me tap down through the floor, the 1/2" floor runner below it, and the rib. That, plus an extra screw further out, should make it about permanent!

100_5293.jpg

100_5294.jpg

Is it on a stand in the picture looking out of the garage? The big question is what are you putting it on!

vahunter said:
I said trim unit but when I zoom it does look more like a jackplate so I was off a little. Haha

Yep, lol. I already had my trim unit detailed earlier in the thread, so I didn't give you credit there. However, now I have the trim unit mounted to the jackplate! :twisted:

So I take it your going to throw a mudbuddy 45 mag on the back of it sooner or later? with as mechanically inclined as you seem, why not buy the extra parts and make it a 5500 or 7000? Also, what will the little longtail be used for that you have in the garage?

You did an awesome job with the paint, and the entire boat. A little more than I would of put into my boat, but you definetely gave me a few ideas.. I appreciate you directing me to this thread. Did you ever put up a build thread on MMT?

brasso said:
So I take it your going to throw a mudbuddy 45 mag on the back of it sooner or later? with as mechanically inclined as you seem, why not buy the extra parts and make it a 5500 or 7000? Also, what will the little longtail be used for that you have in the garage?

You did an awesome job with the paint, and the entire boat. A little more than I would of put into my boat, but you definetely gave me a few ideas.. I appreciate you directing me to this thread. Did you ever put up a build thread on MMT?

It has been converted to a 5500, it was just a 45 block that we built up. The longtail was my first mud motor back in 1992. We ran that sucker for years! I used to have it on an old 14x36, but we finally gave up and trashed it a few years back and sold it for scrap. And no, I never did a build thread on MMT, figured they wouldn't be interested in a ribbed bottom boat.

I'm about to start my paint job on my new rig in a few weeks.

270Handiman said:
brasso said:

It has been converted to a 5500, it was just a 45 block that we built up. The longtail was my first mud motor back in 1992. We ran that sucker for years! I used to have it on an old 14x36, but we finally gave up and trashed it a few years back and sold it for scrap. And no, I never did a build thread on MMT, figured they wouldn't be interested in a ribbed bottom boat.

I'm about to start my paint job on my new rig in a few weeks.

Sweet! So you did all of this and now your selling the boat? :?

Whats your next boat gonna be? I take it your throwing the 5500 on it?