270Handiman's 1649 Custom Flat Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much handiman! This is a great build!

Are you welding your front extended deck? I dont see any rivets

Thats exactly what I want to do with my front deck

And more! I think these are the last of the deck framing pics. I don't see it in any of the pics, but there is another support bar on the back of the hatch cover.

100_4045.jpg

100_4046.jpg

100_4047.jpg

Your boats coming along great, what size gas tank is that, i think you have me wanting to spend some money

fish2keel said:
Thanks so much handiman! This is a great build!

Are you welding your front extended deck? I dont see any rivets

Thats exactly what I want to do with my front deck

Nope, all rivets. Some of them are done from the bottom where possible, some I drilled through the top of the tubing and shot the rivet through the inside, and the rest are done using the homemade L-brackets you see in the pics.

I'm running out of deck build pics, other than putting the skin on. I apparently had a lapse in picture taking at some point because I don't have any that show the additional cross braces I put in the deck. I edited on of the other pics to show how the rest of the braces ran. Of course they were pretty and neat and evenly spaced, but this gives a general idea.

100_4045-1.jpg

Final phase starts tonight! Gotta get her finished so she can start looking for a new owner. I have a new project waiting!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9670 using Tapatalk

270Handiman said:
Final phase starts tonight! Gotta get her finished so she can start looking for a new owner. I have a new project waiting!

So what's the new project? You spent a LOT of time, effort, money, and "married man vouchers" on that Custom boat (I'm hitched myself and have been working on my Alweld), so your new project must be another exciting one at that.

The new project is going to be an 18' true flat bottom boat for use with a Mudbuddy surface drive motor. The motor is actually what started the project, because it's being built up from parts. My initial idea was to just jerk the motor off this boat and pull the console, and let her rip. However, after thinking about that a while, I just can't stand the thought of tearing up this boat by running a mud motor on it. So she'll get a new home and I'll get a boat that doesn't have quite the same sentimental value!

Been awhile since I've posted but came back to your build to see the nice job you did on your camo.
The build was great also,nice job.

Hi Handiman

Your boat looks wonderful - hope mine will look as good.

I noticed that your first used a light brown paint and then a dark brown? My kit olny came with sand, black and one brown. Did you add another or do something different? Can't want to get my holes filled and then start the stencils.

Thanx

rrawhide

rrawhide said:
Hi Handiman

Your boat looks wonderful - hope mine will look as good.

I noticed that your first used a light brown paint and then a dark brown? My kit olny came with sand, black and one brown. Did you add another or do something different? Can't want to get my holes filled and then start the stencils.

Thanx

rrawhide

You noticed right. I added the darker brown myself. It went on in the same step as the light brown. It adds some depth and shadows to it I think.

rrawhide said:
Hi Handi

What dark brown did you use and where did you get it?

thanx

rrawhide

I just used the brown Krylon camo color. Actually, I used all the camo Krylon colors plus the light brown from Styx River.

Nice boat, On my boat, I was thinking of putting Aluminum Diamond plate, what is your suggestion? Like I see that you used sheet metal, Do you think Diamond plate is way to expensive?

Latest posts