Battery Isolator

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGiggles

Reaction score
I recently brought home a Tracker Tournament V17.

It has a 60hp Merc 2 stroke with an unregulated charging system. It makes ~14 volts at idle and 15 at cruise. Common from what I have read.

I'm going to run two batteries, the main starting battery which will run the lights, motor, and sonar. The second is only for the trolling motor and bow mounted sonar.

I'm thinking about running an Isolator relay to connect both batteries when the outboard is running, to help keep the charging system loaded (to minimize electrolyte loss on the starting battery), and give a little bit of a boost to the TM battery, even if it's not much.

Is this a good idea? If so, what is a good relay to use?

The Blue Sea ACR works very well. They are around $100, however, the emphasis on this forum seems to be "go cheap" so that may not be a viable option.

MrGiggles said:
... a 60hp Merc 2 stroke with an unregulated charging system. It makes ~14 volts at idle and 15 at cruise. Common from what I have read.
Uhhhh ... that IS regulated, the rectifier/regulator takes AC power from the stator and converts it to usuable DC lower, typically in that range at throttle, as voltage gauges aren’t highly accurate anyways.

Bob Landry said:
... the emphasis on this forum seems to be "go cheap" so that may not be a viable option.
I don’t agree with that as a stereotype of people on this board ...

Highly agree that Blue Seas makes good stuff!

DaleH said:
MrGiggles said:
... a 60hp Merc 2 stroke with an unregulated charging system. It makes ~14 volts at idle and 15 at cruise. Common from what I have read.
Uhhhh ... that IS regulated, the rectifier/regulator takes AC power from the stator and converts it to usuable DC lower, typically in that range at throttle, as voltage gauges aren’t highly accurate anyways.

Bob Landry said:
... the emphasis on this forum seems to be "go cheap" so that may not be a viable option.
I don’t agree with that as a stereotype of people on this board ...

Highly agree that Blue Seas makes good stuff!

Rectified, but not regulated. From what I understand it will not taper off charging current when the battery is full, requiring more frequent battery electrolyte maintenance.

Latest posts