Braid

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavman138

Reaction score
What braid do yall use? I have PowerPro on my saltwater reels, but I didn't know if yall had a specific brand that yall favored.

dyeguy1212 said:
I learned to bass fish on fireline, but this year I switched the BPS excel. It handles a heck of a lot better, and is dirt cheap.

Was thinking of trying the Excel stuff myself.

I have used both PP and Suffix. I have no complaints on either.

Jim said:
dyeguy1212 said:
I learned to bass fish on fireline, but this year I switched the BPS excel. It handles a heck of a lot better, and is dirt cheap.

Was thinking of trying the Excel stuff myself.

I have used both PP and Suffix. I have no complaints on either.

Its well worth the price, considering you get a spool of 300 yards.

I can't wait to try it out on anything foolish enough to hit my frog :twisted:

Spinning reels from 4 to 10 pound test - Fireline.

Spinning reels over 10 pound test - Suffix Performance Braid.

Casting reels, any poundage - Suffix Performance Braid.

I have some other lines on reels and as soon as its time to replace them, it will be with Suffix.

I have been bass fishing for as long as I could hold a fishing pole (nearly 40 years), including a few years of tournament fishing... I have never spooled a single reel with braid, not even a flippin' stick. :shock:

I suppose that makes me somewhat of an anomaly in today's bass fishing world.

I don't know why, really. I've just never had a problem with mono and it is a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to deal with (I can bite it with my teeth).

I did use a borrowed flippin' stick once during a tournament back in the day that was spooled with kevlar line (anybody remember that precursor to modern braids?). I hated the stuff. It was stiff and unruly and didn't appear to have any higher breaking strength than mono of the same diameter. It also floated and looked like a glowing key lime green rope.

Quackrstackr said:
I have been bass fishing for as long as I could hold a fishing pole (nearly 40 years), including a few years of tournament fishing... I have never spooled a single reel with braid, not even a flippin' stick. :shock:

I suppose that makes me somewhat of an anomaly in today's bass fishing world.

I don't know why, really. I've just never had a problem with mono and it is a heck of a lot cheaper and easier to deal with (I can bite it with my teeth).

I did use a borrowed flippin' stick once during a tournament back in the day that was spooled with kevlar line (anybody remember that precursor to modern braids?). I hated the stuff. It was stiff and unruly and didn't appear to have any higher breaking strength than mono of the same diameter. It also floated and looked like a glowing key lime green rope.

You should really jump ship and give it a try. Todays braid is really manageable, and a lot of people say its easier to learn how to use a baitcaster with braid as opposed to anything else. Plus the breaking strength has improved, at least a little, considering I tow my boat in with me in it when I get caught up in pads :lol:

I use 40# Sufix Performance Braid on one of my baitcasting set ups and one of my spinning setups. I then have 50# Sufix Performance Braid on my flipping/pitching setup. All I use is Sufix whether its mono or braid. :D