Custom Flat 1654...under construction -Complete! 10/24

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a mock-up of what I have been considering for the casting deck extension. I have about decided to put the pedestal seat on the original deck just forward of the casting deck extension. What do you guys think of installing the Fishmate Pro livewell a bit off center to make room for the battery? I think the weight distribution will be ok when water is in the livewell. Keep in mind that this boat has a true 54" floor. So stability will probably not be a concern. By the way, I ordered the livewell about two weeks ago and it is currently in transit. I will elaborate on the livewell after it arrives and I get a good look at it.

Attachments

• Al-boat-web2.jpg
    Al-boat-web2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 2,548
Don't put to much weight on one side, if your livewell is empty than the battery will have the boat heavy on that side, distribute the weight evenly, and keep the heavy stuff behind the splash line ( first 1/3rd of the boat from the motor) You stole that boat for 1200.00 dollars, I gave twice that for mine with a blown up engine, and still had to mod it. :shock: Good looking boat, tons of potential. Have fun!

Livewell arrived today. It is a 38" bait & fish from Fish Mate Pro. Looks good. Thought it would be insulated. I may see what I can do about that. Also, I picked up some square/rectangle aluminum pipe to use for the deck extension frame. Found some old aluminum street signs that I can probably find a use for during the many mods I have planned. Still trying to figure out where to put the batteries. I have decided to have a total of 3 batteries. 2 forward for the TM and accessories, and one aft for engine starting.

Attachments

• Al1.jpg
    Al1.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 2,536
  • Al2.jpg
    Al2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 2,536
  • LW6.jpg
    LW6.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,536
  • LW7.jpg
    LW7.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 2,536
  • LW10.jpg
    LW10.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 2,536
  • LW8.jpg
    LW8.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 2,536
  • LW2.jpg
    LW2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 2,536
Looks good. I wish Austin had better scrap yards to buy from. Speaking of which are those road signs I see in you pile of scraps? :D

Yes, I picked them up at the scrap yard as well. They are not thick enough for decking but will probably be useful for some of the other mods.

Insulating the livewell is pretty easy. You can use the foam board from and liquid nails to glue it to the sides or a more dense Closed Cell Elastomeric Foam to get the same R-Value but in thinner sheets. Either way you just glue it on the sides.

Finally got a little time combined with dry weather. Completed the aluminum framing for the deck extension. Pedestal seat will be installed on original deck.

Attachments

• deckframing 003.jpg
    deckframing 003.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,091
  • deckframing 002.jpg
    deckframing 002.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,091
  • deckframing 001.jpg
    deckframing 001.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,091
looks very good. if you stand alot that seat may get in your way. i mounted mine as far back as i could so i had plenty of space to walk around without removing the seat.

Have very little time to work on the boat lately but did get the stern deck framing completed. Rock solid. No noticeable flex when I stand on it. Next I will paint the interior walls, console and bench. Here are some picks.

Attachments

• sterndeck4.jpg
    sterndeck4.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,028
  • sterndeck3.jpg
    sterndeck3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,028
  • sterndeck2.jpg
    sterndeck2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,028
  • sterndeck1.jpg
    sterndeck1.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,028
stew6371 said:
looks very good. if you stand alot that seat may get in your way. i mounted mine as far back as i could so i had plenty of space to walk around without removing the seat.

I have to agree here. I would personally move the seat back a little some how. Being that far forward may not cause any "real" balance issues, cuz that boat is HUGE, but I would have better piece of mind knowing there was a little more real estate between me and the drink... On another note, your boat is awesome!

Pics of the front deck are a little deceiving. I would estimate about 4ft from where I plan to put the front ped seat to the front of the bow. Does that seem too little space?

I went back and looked at the original pictures and the mock up that you drew. Now, I am relatively new to small boats, so you cant take my opinion as gospel, however; I would have built the deck the same exact way you have it, but extend the deck to the next rib. I would put my seat base in between your two storage lockers if the base and supports line up. By the way, you've done a top notch job on your framing! I let a welder of 25 years fit and weld mine up and it doesn't look nearly as nice as yours. :mrgreen: I WANT YOUR BOAT!

Slow going, but got the front deck ply cut. Used exterior 1/2" ply. Will coat with resin and then apply some sort of none slip coating. Haven't decided which bedliner/coating to use.

template3.jpgtemplate2.jpg
template1.jpgdecking1.jpgdecking2.jpgdecking3.jpgdecking4.jpgdecking6.jpg

Looks great! Your way ahead of me on the decking part. On mine, I'm going to install the aluminum floor first from the front of the rear seat all the way to the backside of that 1st rib. It's basically a flat run, except the 2nd rib is about 1/4" higher then all the ones behing it. I plan to notch the floor supports to allow my floor to run flat all the way. It's about 9' of floor. Then I'll come out almost exactly like you did with a deck. I plan to put a built in 13 gallon tank and a battery under there.

Keep up the good work!