Custom Flat 1654...under construction -Complete! 10/24

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to pics of your Al floor. I am going with plywood mainly due to cost. I have some good ideas for my floor though. Hard to explain but I will post pics as soon as I get there. I plan to cut all wood but not put it in place until I do the painting. Paint, piano hinges, and stainless latches arrived this week.

Couple more details about cutting the front decking. The homemade scribe worked perfectly once I figured out that it needs to follow the contour at the point that the plywood will meet the side (1/2" up from the top of the framing). The point was whittled to a tapered point so the point would touch the side in just the right place. Also, you must keep the scribe tool as perpendicular as possible to the side as you scribe. Next I measured the angle between the side and the deck framing and set my jig saw to that angle. Cutting the sides of the ply at an angle to match the side of the boat made for a really nice fit. These pics might help understand what I am trying to say.

Attachments

• decking7.jpg
    decking7.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,131
  • scribetool.jpg
    scribetool.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,131
NICE BUILD!~!!

I just saw where you thought the livewell would come insulated... I have been using mine now for a few months, and the water actually cools itself inside the livewell and I don't have it insulated. The top or lid even in direct sunlight stays cool (and I mean literally cool) so I doubt you'd have to worry about anything like the water getting warmer.

This boat is just amazing, and your work is top notch. I wish I would have seen your "scribe" when I was doing some of my deck work. Very smart.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but make sure you leave enough room for carpet or whatever you wrap around the edges, assuming you do.

Awesome stuff.

Got a few things done this weekend. finished the TM battery trays and got the stern deck hatches cut out and coated with epoxy resin. There are battery trays on each side of the live well. Also got started cutting the floor but have not taken pics yet. By the way, no carpet in this project. All wood will be coated with epoxy resin sanded and painted the same color as the rest of the boat. Kiwigrip will then be strategically applied. O yea, also installed the pedestal seat bases. Used parkerized steel 1/4' riv-nuts and 5200. They are solid as a rock. I'm using seats without backs to minimize the torque on the pedestal seat bases.sternhatch2.jpgsternhatch1.jpgtmbattray.jpgTMbattray1.jpgTMbattray2.jpgpedseat1.jpg

Awesome work! Can't wait to see it finished. Looks like an excellent layout too.

Finally got some time to work on the boat. Put the floor and filler inserts in yesterday. Floor is 1/2" exterior coated with three coats of resin on top side and two coats on under side. No carpet. Floor and other appropriate surfaces will have a coat of Kiwigrip.

Attachments

• floorfinished.jpg
    floorfinished.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,096
  • floorfillers.jpg
    floorfillers.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,096
  • drain.jpg
    drain.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,096
  • floor2.jpg
    floor2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,096
  • floor1.jpg
    floor1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 1,096
More pics of progress. Installed the new bimini temporarily for shade while working on her.
Stern deck hatches are completed but not installed - waiting till after i have painted. Notice the cup holders. They are very convenient because the chairs will pivot when installed.
Chairs are just sitting there in these pics. Getting close to paint time. Inside and out will be paint color will be Bay Gray with Kiwigrip on floor and decks. Primed the live well because it will also be painted bay gray with Kiwigrip on lids.Bimini1.jpgcastingdeck.jpgsterndeck2.jpgseats1.jpglivewell.jpgrearview.jpg

where did you get your front seat from with the backrest? I have been looking all over for those, but can't find them

Haven't seen this thread until now. The boat looks great. If you ever need some help let me know I live in Katy and I work on boats for a living. It would be good to meet someone who has a passion for the tin boats.

russ010 said:
where did you get your front seat from with the backrest? I have been looking all over for those, but can't find them

Got the seats at Academy. they weren't my first choice. Tried to find some red and gray combo. I have 3 full days to work on it this week. Hope to get it painted by the end of the week.

huntinfool said:
Haven't seen this thread until now. The boat looks great. If you ever need some help let me know I live in Katy and I work on boats for a living. It would be good to meet someone who has a passion for the tin boats.

Huntinfool, Hey would love to talk/meet others that enjoy working on these floating money pits. I definitely don't do this to make money. It is more like therapy for me. My brother lives in the Cinco Ranch area of Katy. I am over there on occasion to visit. Maybe we could meet up on one of my visits. I am going to paint on Monday of next week. Prep in the am and paint in the pm if I can find a spot on my driveway that will be in shade long enough during the afternoon. May have to wait until early evening to paint. Weather permitting!

What kind of boats to you work on? Maybe I should correspond in a PM.

Got your PM. Good to talk to you. Cinco Ranch is right around the corner from me, so next time your in the area let me know. We can meet up for something cold to drink and chat about boats. If you get in a bind and need some help let me know. I'm hoping to either go fishing this weekend or scouting a new spot for deer hunting.

I've gone completely through this thread 4 or 5 times now.
I'm in love with this build. hahaha.

This is a well executed, great looking, sharp, quality build.
I can't wait to see the end result. My hats off to you.

Paint has been applied =D> Well it was a tough go of it but I finally got the outside and inside painted Bay Gray. Paint has a flat finish and seems to be very durable. Used a wagner sprayer which was a bit disappointing. The sprayer would act as if it was out of paint, make a loud noise and then splatter spray. I had to hold the thing almost level the entire time to keep it from doing this. I would recommend using the remote attachment to feed the paint for anyone planning to use this sprayer.
I have started to apply Kiwigrip to some of the hatches as you can see in the pics. Also, before I painted I cut all holes for electrical components. I have decided to complete the application of the Kiwigrip before running electric wires.
Kiwigrip is pretty easy to apply but you must remove any masking tape directly after application (within 5 mins).Kiwigrip1small.jpgkiwigrip3small.jpgpaint2small.jpgpaint3small.jpgpaint1small.jpg