Custom Flat 1654...under construction -Complete! 10/24

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am about finished with the front deck. KiwiGrip looks good. Started to install some of the electrical that will not require removal in order to get the wiring done. Also installed the bow rod holder mounts. Live well is just sitting in the hole at this point because I still need to insulate it. That lid got awful hot sitting in the sun so I decided to go ahead and insulate it before final installation. Can only work on it about 1 1/2 hr 2 or 3 evenings a week because of other family duties. My 16 yo son cruses by and lends a hand occasionally but is more interested in the stereo and whether I am going to install an amp and if he can connect his Ipod to it. He is a good boy, just has teenage boy stuff on his mind these days.

KiwiGrip was tricky to apply to the larger surfaces and still get an even-looking texture. Also had to plan the application so as to be able to remove the masking tape as I went. Stuff seems pretty durable - we will see. The purchased storage hatches are bothering me because of their color. I bought them cheap cheap on clearance. I am sure it was the color that wasn't so popular. Oh well, on the bright side, they work great!
FrontdeckKiwi.jpgspeakerled.jpgbowrodholder1.jpgflushmount.jpgcupholder.jpg

rellis,

Your boat is looking great. Real nice attention to little details. On the hatches: In the pics they look like WWII Marine Khaki green to me and look pretty good contrasting with the Kiwigrip. I like that color and was planning on using it as a bottom paint and trim with some Khaki Tan topside when I finally do my boat.

Man that looks awesome! Looks factory. It's nice to see a mod go down without carpet. Hope it holds up as well. Probably gonna be a lot easier to maintain. Once again, great job.

Thanks for the words fellow tinners. I insulated and installed the live well last evening. Got the plumbing done as well. I am working on stuff that can get accomplished within an hr or 2 during my evening sessions. Still need to schedule an extended session to apply the KiwiGrip to the floor. Started to look at my 1984 50hp merc and planning actions on it. It is in above average condition and has power tilt. May try to build a stand to mount it on instead of installing and then working on it. Hope the power tilt and trim still works. will start running elect wiring this evening. Going to the Lake house this weekend so will not have much time to work on her.

Your boat is extremly nice and will be very fishable. The only thing different I would have done, would have put the live well in front in front of the console. It would be deeper inside and hold more water for lots of fish. When moving from place to place your fish would not get beat up so bad as in the front where it will be rougher riding. Otherwise you have a super good looking boat you can be very proud of, good luck fishing.

rusty.hook said:
Your boat is extremly nice and will be very fishable. The only thing different I would have done, would have put the live well in front in front of the console. It would be deeper inside and hold more water for lots of fish. When moving from place to place your fish would not get beat up so bad as in the front where it will be rougher riding. Otherwise you have a super good looking boat you can be very proud of, good luck fishing.

Thanks rusty,
You are right about the live well. I was trying to think of everything but have limited experience with fishing boats. Really didn't ever think about the fish getting jostled around too much. Not sure I would have changed my set up though, but maybe. I stared at this boat for many a evening trying to come up with a good design and right equipment. Its hard work designing and implementing mods from scratch. Thanks to the guys and their projects on this forum, I had some fine examples that help to jump start many of the mods.

Also, i ordered a manual jack plate on Friday. Decided to go with a jack plate so I would not have to deal with the mounting holes on my motor not matching where the transom supports are located in the boat.

Still have to complete the electrical wiring and install the electrical components. As far a the electrical components go, I will have running lights, courtesy lights, aerator, bilge pump, radio and speakers, trolling motor, and a couple of accessory plugs. Of course, also will have to wire and install the tilt trim panel somewhere on the console. That is the one thing I did not cut a hole for before painting the boat.

That Robbie Guy said:
I've gone completely through this thread 4 or 5 times now.
I'm in love with this build. hahaha.

This is a well executed, great looking, sharp, quality build.
I can't wait to see the end result. My hats off to you.

I believe i've finally decided to keep my can:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14088

Your thread has definitely given me some ideas, inspiration, and motivation.

I'd like to ask you a few questions,
as well as maybe see your boat in person. If possible.

Alright guys, I installed the stern hatches - hinges and all - as well as the gas tank and battery box. Also got the live well insulated and installed. Been working on the electrical a little here and there. Manual jack plate arrived last Thursday and installed it today. Everything went like clockwork on the jack plate installation. Looks like everything will fit just fine concerning the jack plate/motor. Have also been trying to figure a place to stow rods while underway. That is why you see a couple rods in one of the pictures. Haven't figured that one out yet. Also checking spots for the stern rod holders and cleats. I still have a lot to do, but the garage is beginning to clear out as things are installed in the boat =D> Kinda dreading all that wiring and soldering. I have quite a bit of experience with electrical components and wiring. I just don't like to do it. Here are pics of recent progress.

Attachments

• sternhatches1.jpg
    sternhatches1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,243
  • hingesinstalled.jpg
    hingesinstalled.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,243
  • latcheinstalled.jpg
    latcheinstalled.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,243
  • livewelldrain.jpg
    livewelldrain.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,243
  • jackplate1.jpg
    jackplate1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,243
  • console1.jpg
    console1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,243
  • sternrodholder1.jpg
    sternrodholder1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,243
  • seatsinstalled1.jpg
    seatsinstalled1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,243
  • livewellinstalled1.jpg
    livewellinstalled1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,234
Applied the KiwiGrip to the floor yesterday and did touch up tonight. Also put the reg. #s on. That kiwigrip is a bear to apply to large areas. One has to plan carefully the sequence of application, tape removal and blending sections together. The stuff starts to dry very quickly and causes problems with blending with neighboring sections. Pretty much down to electrical and installation of the motor. Trailer was in great shape to start with. Nothing needed there but some new wiring and led lights. Looks like I might meet my October 1 deadline :lol:

Attachments

• regnumbers.jpg
    regnumbers.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,322
  • rearview.jpg
    rearview.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,322
  • kiwigripfloor4.jpg
    kiwigripfloor4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,322
  • kiwigripfloor2.jpg
    kiwigripfloor2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,322
  • gastank1.jpg
    gastank1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,322
How much did the kiwigrip end up costing, I am trying to go that route but I think carpet will cost me a lot less.

Thought I would post some progress on the electrical. Got all the wire ran and most of the electrical components in place and in most cases installed. Running the wire was fun :roll: My son and I worked on it most of the day yesterday and part of the day today to get it to this point. All of the spade clips that are involved with the trolling motor or connecting the batteries were crimped, soldered and shrink wrapped. I used #4 wire for all trolling motor/battery connections. #10 wire was used for power and ground running to the bus blocks. Clips were also soldered. All connections to electrical components were also soldered and shrink wrapped. #16 wire was used for most electrical with the exception of the accessory plug and bilge pump, #14 was used on those. All wire is tinned marine wire. This week's evenings will be spent connecting everything to the console switch panel, connecting AM/FM/Ipod Radio and VHF Radio. Yes I am going to install a VHF only because I happen to have one that I bought 9 years ago and never took it out of the box and I will be taking the boat out in Galveston Bay at times.wireclip1.jpgBreaker.jpgNavlight.jpgwirebundle2.jpgPosandGrndblock.jpg

Attachments

• TMandAcc.jpg
    TMandAcc.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,198
Great work rellis. Super clean.

Anything you wish you would have done or bought different thus far?

rellis1962 said:
The purchased storage hatches are bothering me because of their color. I bought them cheap cheap on clearance. I am sure it was the color that wasn't so popular.

Rellis, you can paint them! I camo'd mine and they're holding up great. Only areas where it is not holding is insid of the hinge.

100_4042.jpg

100_4244.jpg

I've been working on wiring the console switch panel. Only items not connected yet are the radio and bilge pump. I took some pics of the cabin leds at night. It looks really nice. I may install more on somewhere around the front casting deck as well. Here are some pics. An unforeseen bonus is that the leds on the rise to the front deck provide some back lighting that gives a bit of light to the inside of the storage compartments.

Attachments

• ledbacklitstorage.jpg
    ledbacklitstorage.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • nightleds2.jpg
    nightleds2.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,150
  • nightleds3.jpg
    nightleds3.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 1,150