Custom Flat 1654...under construction -Complete! 10/24

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
270Handiman said:
Rellis, you can paint them! I camo'd mine and they're holding up great. Only areas where it is not holding is insid of the hinge.

I may just put some kiwigrip on the lids. I was wondering if it would stick. Did you do any special prep to the plastic before painting?

Brine said:
Great work rellis. Super clean.

Anything you wish you would have done or bought different thus far?

So far I have been pretty pleased with how everything has turned out. I have been thinking seriously about adding two more speakers somewhere.

rellis1962 said:
270Handiman said:
Rellis, you can paint them! I camo'd mine and they're holding up great. Only areas where it is not holding is insid of the hinge.

I may just put some kiwigrip on the lids. I was wondering if it would stick. Did you do any special prep to the plastic before painting?

Not really. I wiped it down good with rubbing alcohol, let it dry, then did it one more time for good measure. Don't be shy with the alcohol! I pour enough on my rag to make it run everywhere when I start wiping. The idea is to wash away any traces of any oily or greasy substances. Plus, if it's running everywhere, it will get in the places you can't get your fingers to and clean them up as well. Just be sure to take your gaskets out first.

Hope this helps,

Ok, I have the motor installed (1984 Mercury 50hp w/ tilt and trim). Motor installation went smooth. Hardest part was when my son I were lifting it onto the jack plate. She started right up after I switched the kill switch to the run position. :oops: She fires with just a bump of the key now and purrs like a kitten with a good pee stream. Next was installing the tilt/trim motor, lines and trim switch. I ordered a new 3 button trim switch as the old one looked pretty rugged. New switch has not arrived so I cleaned up the old one, figured out the wiring because the wires were cut to remove the switch and got it ready to plug to the hydraulic motor. I made a mounting plate for the trim motor/pump out of an old cutting board. I also cleaned up the trim motor/pump and spray on a coat of that bed liner that comes in a spray can. After everything was installed and the old switch temporarily hooked up until the new one arrives I gave it a try and it worked perfectly after I got all the air out of the lines. =D> Here are some pics after installation.

Attachments

• trimmotor.jpg
    trimmotor.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,082
  • motordown.jpg
    motordown.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 1,082
  • motorup.jpg
    motorup.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,082
  • merc50installed2.jpg
    merc50installed2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,082
  • Merc50installed.jpg
    Merc50installed.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,082
Maiden Voyage!!! Whole family wanted to go on the shake down trip. Boat did great. We spent about 1.5 hr on Taylor Lakes in Seabrook,Tx. I had a lot of weight on board with 4 grown people but I was still able to get her to 29+ easily. With a little tweaking on the jackplate and trim I am betting I get her in the upper 30s. Also got the TM installed this week. Here are pics and videos. 1st vid is of getting to 29mph. 2nd is after and my daughter giving me heck for getting too close to another boat. I really didn't (more than 50meters) but she is a really cautious girl and it is funny to watch. I made the TM base from leftover rectangular Al tubing. I stacked three together to make a 6"x4"x19" block and added a plastic end cap to cover the sharp edges. It is attached to the deck with 6 1/4" rivnuts. Seems very solid. Remember the Al deck is approx 1/8" thick so the rivnuts should hold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drTCfBcfbnI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHkii8mg_vU

Attachments

• 29.2mph.jpg
    29.2mph.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,006
  • tm1.jpg
    tm1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,006
  • tm2.jpg
    tm2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 1,006
  • tm3.jpg
    tm3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1,006
  • tm4.jpg
    tm4.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,006
  • tm5.jpg
    tm5.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 1,006
rellis, looks great! Your speeds are right there with mine. I top out at 33.5 with 3 people and trimmed all the way up.

By the way, what is a rivnut and where can I get some?

Must have been reading alot of Canadain posts...50 meters:)
Thats a good speed to run ,motor sounds nice.
Nice build.

270Handiman said:
By the way, what is a rivnut and where can I get some?

A rivnut is a rivet with threads down the center. I used 1/4" parkerized(rust resistant) steel rivnuts to attach the TM base to the deck. I used Al rivnuts in other places on the boat. All seem to hold very well. I will take pics and post this evening.

Zum said:
Must have been reading alot of Canadain posts...50 meters:)
Thats a good speed to run ,motor sounds nice.
Nice build.

Yea, I taught physics for 11 years. Metric system stuck with me.

rellis,

How did your kiwigrip hold up on the trip and now that you've used it and gotten it dirty, what do you think about it? I'm seriously considering it for my project.

How noisy is it compared to carpet? How comfortable is it? I thought about the stuff with the rubber in it, but decided against it.

Alrighty, I have been on two fishing trips in my recently completed Custom Flats Al boat. Some observations and things I would do differently if I were to do another boat project.

1. Kiwigrip is awesome but... I would choose a little darker color next time because it looks dirty with just some light traffic. On the plus side it is cool on the feet and very easy to clean - stiff bristle brush and a water hose and it is nice and bright again.

2. You can never have enough storage! I thought I had built in plenty of storage - I was wrong!

3. Front pedestal seat needs to be almost leaning height. I have correct this as you can see in the pics. This is the only way I can be comfortable while using the trolling motor and fishing at the same time.

4. Trolling motor is a beast! 71lbs thrust foot control. Lowest speed is perfect for everything so far. I tried the fastest speed and I might as well have been using the regular motor!! I thought the dang thing was going to pull itself off the mount. It is securely mounted, by the way.

5. Aerator timer was a good choice. Set it for 1min on and 3min off and kept fish perky until cleaning time (about 3hrs). Didn't have a lot of fish though.

6. Four 200lbs+ guys plus equipment is about the limit, too much if you are interested in speed.\

7. Boat was very stable with four people walking around fishing.

8. Did not use the bimini on either fishing trip. But is was a very pleasant temperature both times.

9. Have not used the stern pedestal seat. Considering stowing it until wanted.

10. Stern deck is great!! 220lbs guy used it for two hrs and it is no worse for ware.

11. Decided to install an on board battery charger for trolling motor batteries. I recommend this!!

12. Tilt and trim switch is in a perfect place. See picture.

Here are some pics of some changes made after completion

Attachments

• trimswitch.jpg
    trimswitch.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 975
  • batcharger.jpg
    batcharger.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 975
  • batcharger1.jpg
    batcharger1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 975
  • Consol.jpg
    Consol.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 975
  • sternpedestal.jpg
    sternpedestal.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 975
  • stern-pedestal.jpg
    stern-pedestal.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 975
I just stumbled on this post. Great job that you've done with the boat. This could be a primer for anyone who wants the "ultimate flats boat" and can't spend 25M.

I am also in Houston, but way up on the North side near Willowbrook mall. Are there any fish in Taylor lake at this time of the year? I usually go to GISP on West Galveston Island, but that is about an extra hour's drive for me. Looking for someplace a bit closer to go fish for a few hours during the week. I'm retired. thanks, Rich

p.s. Somebody was talking about a South Texas Tin-Boats get-together. We seem to have four or five guys all around Houston. Any interest? Rich