first rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bouttimeiv

Reaction score
Ok just got a 16 ft monarch semi V with a 40 hp mercury .Ive been wanting to do a build after reading this site for the past months and finally found a boat at the right price(free) .so I know this is a broad question but where do you start ???? the motor ,the trailer ,the boat it self .I got it home last night and did a water test with no leaks and cleaned out 4 years of plants and moss growing .BUt now Im overwelmed on where to go from here .
Thanks and as soon as I figure out how to post pics I will.

I started with cleaning and making sure there were no holes! Hows the trailer? if its in bad shape do that first. I didn't and then getting a much heavier boat on and off when I needed to make repairs was more of a problem. When that was done I did the framework for the deck then the deck, then carpet, then added from there.

heres my posts if it helps.

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35251

Like starz said I would start with the trailer. It will be much easier to assess and fix the trailer before doing anything to the boat. Make sure to check hubs/bearing, tires/wheels, bunks, lights, winch and strap, and look for any major rust. After going through the trailer and fixing what needs to be done I would move on to the boat. First check for any leaks or holes. Patch those first. Then you can begin with the decking of the inside. Good luck and make sure to post lots of pics, we love em.

Trailer would probably be the best to start on as other other guys mentioned. I didn't with mine bc I can put the boat in the back of my truck and get where I'm going.

But with your situation, here's how I look at it:

1. What good is a boat if you can't get it to the water?
So start with the trailer.
2. What's it matter if the boat looks pretty or has bad *** cup holders if you can't go anywhere once you've made it to the water?
You said it doesn't leak. so before worrying about the layout and decking and consoles and seats and other junk, check/repair the transom. then I'd start on making sure the "go stuff" (motor/electrical/steering/allthatjazz) wouldn't leave me paddling or waving my arms around like a moron tryin to catch attention for a tow.

I feel like that would allow me to get the boat on the water faster, be able to use it without fear of a breakdown, so i could find what i really want out of the boat. Then I'd start on the things like decks and extra storage and whathaveyou.

That's just what I think. May not be the best procedure for some but its logical in my head.

Latest posts