Fisher 1538 Jon modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
captpetej said:
stinkfoot said:
If it's any consolation my boat is surprisingly good in rough water(for a jon)

I agree, it did outstanding for what it is. I had to cross a few bays with 3-4' rollers(and lightning at my back) on a couple occasions. I was solo, and fairly empty, it did well, way better than I expected.

But, with the GF, and the dog in, I needed more weight in the back, even with the Merc on the back. I ordered wire to move the front trolling battery to the back.

I'll post up some pictures from the trip later this week. Already planning the next round of mods. I'm kinda glad I waited out the front deck, I know exactly how I want it laid out now that I've used the boat a bit. (and already watching for a 16'+ deep V project boat...lol)
Put the g/f and dog directly in front of you to block the spray. That's what I do....... :LOL2:

stinkfoot said:
captpetej said:
stinkfoot said:
If it's any consolation my boat is surprisingly good in rough water(for a jon)

I agree, it did outstanding for what it is. I had to cross a few bays with 3-4' rollers(and lightning at my back) on a couple occasions. I was solo, and fairly empty, it did well, way better than I expected.

But, with the GF, and the dog in, I needed more weight in the back, even with the Merc on the back. I ordered wire to move the front trolling battery to the back.

I'll post up some pictures from the trip later this week. Already planning the next round of mods. I'm kinda glad I waited out the front deck, I know exactly how I want it laid out now that I've used the boat a bit. (and already watching for a 16'+ deep V project boat...lol)
Put the g/f and dog directly in front of you to block the spray. That's what I do....... :LOL2:

LOL! we think alike, I tried that... she dealt with it(and the boat rode better), but I've been tasked with a "new" seat mount so she doesn't need to sit on the floor...lol (she doesn't know how spoiled she is with a carpeted floor) 8)

Well.... after fishing this thing all last season, it was time to replace the old front deck, and build the storage up front that I really wanted.

I'm horrible at documenting, but basically I ripped out the old wood deck, and started basically new.

I've still got a bunch of welding to do, and need to frame in the anchor box lid still, hoping to wrap this up in the next week or two.

XsBNiSG.jpg

lQ0YfyG.jpg

It always takes longer than you plan.... even if you plan in extra time... :roll: :roll:

Got the front deck frame all welded, and the bottom painted:
6TeMNc0.jpg

Front tackle and misc storage done, there will be another in the locker behind it that holds 6 standard 3700 boxes, this one holds 3 oversized boxes, and 3 regular, or a double deep and a thin, you get the idea.
PanR4Do.jpg

YcLN2XA.jpg

Planning to weld it into the boat tonight, then finish the paint on the top. then it's time to cut and fit the wood for the deck. I'm under the gun now, it snowed yesterday, but they are calling for 50-70* for the next week or so... fish will be biting

Latest posts