Fishing pole for a 5 year old

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuckinfutzracing

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is probably and odd request, but my nephew is turning 5 soon and I want to get him a fishing pole for his birthday. I don't want to buy him one of the plastic Disney version but something that he can learn with and use for a few years. But I also don't want to get him anything that is going to be too complicated and make him frustrated with fishing all together. So, I thought I'd reach out to the nearest panel of experts that I have access to. I was doing some reading online and saw that Zebco has a starter kit for kids so I was gonna look at that. I greatly appreciate any input from any of you who might have dealt with this situation already.

Take care
Mickey

Skip the Zebco starter kit - at 5 he will be able to learn a spinning rod and reel just fine. Plus, he will have loads more fun

I suggest looking on ebay (etc.) for a used reel and possibly rod. If not, get a used reel and then get a $30.00 graphite rod (6') from your local tackle shop. You can get him a complete decent set up for less then $50.00

Here is a reel that will be fine:

https://cgi.ebay.com/New-Shimano-IX...916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e5e48b5c

And a rod:

https://cgi.ebay.com/Daiwa-Sweepfir...240?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c188bb0d0

Back when I got my boy started (he was 5 as well) I got him a Zebco package that included a rod and two spincast reels (a 22 and a 33) from Cabelas. I don't think they still sell that combo, but they do have a number of other spincast combos - https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/fishing-rod-reel-combos-spincast-combos/_/N-1100312/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104595480?WTz_l=SBC%3Bcat104793480%3Bcat104762880

FYI, my boy graduated to using a baitcast reel pretty quickly (he insisted on having a reel like his dad's!).

I was started on a tree limb with some line and a rusty hook but I would recommend a Zebco 33. They last forever.

Start with the Zebco..as said, they last forever... I still have mine from many many years ago...lol

If it seems too simple then he can upgrade to something else... never hurts to have 2 poles...even if your 5.... still fish with one (bobber) and cast with the other...

Outdoorsman

I started both of my kids casting spinning reels in the backyard at that age. IMO, it will help if the spinning reel has a trigger. Get him a micro setup so that everything is smaller.

zebco used to last forever... now they are almost worthless.
I would look into a spinning reel and at 5 you don't want anything to long.
If you can find an ice fishing set up you will be good to go.

I would probably look at an ultra light spinning combo. The rod will be smaller and easier to handle for a 5 year old.

I have noticed some "youth" combos around.
4-5" poles with decent reels on them.
I plan on getting one for my 4 year old this spring.

Casting with those little 2 foot poles is like throwing it by hand.

I've bought 3 Zebco 33 combos over the past year and a half. Between the three of them, I have about an hour of fishing before all three were TOAST. I've emailed Zebco and NEVER even got so much as a response. I will NEVER buy another one unless it's an old one in good shape. The old ones lasted....the new ones aren't worth the receipt that you get with it! I did buy a Pflueger Cetina that I like a lot. It's a spin caster and it even came with a second spool for line. A little more expensive, but worth not having to deal with more crap like Zebco makes now.

Wow..how times have changed....

Does anybody remember "back in the day" the old "Cane Poles"...long (sometimes one peice) with 1 "eye" on the end to tie the "string" too and then you just wrapped the string around the end of the pole. Did they have those in the south or were they just a northern thing...??????

Just remembered them while re-reading this thread.....

I still have a couple of them

Outdoorsman

My dad had about 4 or 5 of those that I remember using with a bobber from the bank. Wish I still had all that gear. He had a couple old baitcasters too.

Outdoorsman said:
Wow..how times have changed....

Does anybody remember "back in the day" the old "Cane Poles"...long (sometimes one peice) with 1 "eye" on the end to tie the "string" too and then you just wrapped the string around the end of the pole. Did they have those in the south or were they just a northern thing...??????

Just remembered them while re-reading this thread.....

I still have a couple of them

Outdoorsman

I remember cane poles without the eye on the end. You tied the line to the tip and then ran the line down the pole tying a series of half hitches so that if your tip broke you would not lose the fish.

Here is a 4-6 spinning UL.
https://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Wally-Marshall-Signature-Series-Spinning-Rod-and-Reel-Combo/product/10202312/-1525692

bearsphan3.14 said:
I would probably look at an ultra light spinning combo. The rod will be smaller and easier to handle for a 5 year old.

I agree and the other advantage is that with an ultralight, every fish feels like a whopper. I think that set-up would make it more fun and fun equals a life-long interest for him (unlike the guitar my son had to have when he was 12).

I know that shimano makes a spinning reel that is only $10 and you can get it a walmart and sports authority. Or you can get the spinning combo for only $25. it is a really nice set up for a beginner.

I have had good luck with the "ugly cast" spincasting reels from walmart(i think there around 13 dollars) and just a shakespere excursion rod.. i have a set up similar for line and bobber fishing.