Fishing pole for a 5 year old

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get him an el cheapo rod and reel that he'll either break or outgrow within a year or so {with you buying another rod and reel}, or bite the bullet and spend a little and get him something worth having to start his fishing career with, it's your choice. Check ebay I've gotten some nice new reels cheap with shipping.On the rods watch out or you'll often spend more on shipping than your saving For a good quality, bullet proof ,easy to learn and use combo try a 8 or 10 lb diawa silvercast spincaster with a light action ugly stick , he'll still be using it ten years from now .

P.S. I thought about what I said and I realized I 've been spoiling the heck out of my grandkids

I have kids in the range (ages 8 and 3). With my oldest, we just kept her on the disney rods until she was almost 7. Even if they do stay interested and calm enough for fishing, the rods will end up in the water, so the disney ones that float are your best bet until they get a little older. I will most likely start my youngest next summer on the same basic disney rods until she is 6 or 7.

what about one of these rods ???? https://www.daiwa.com/Rod/detail.aspx?id=213&parentid=226

I'd go with Disney setup. No sense putting much money in one for 20 minutes of fishing a trip. My daughters both fished with Snoopy rod and reels! =D>

I started my niece with a spongebob combo when she was 3, by the time she was 5 she needed an upgrade. I got her a pflueger spincast combo; its pink, 5 ft long and an ultra light. She always wants to go fishing but within the first 15 mins without fast and furious action, she starts wading in. The rod and reel work great, I always seem end up casting tiny jigs and just hook fish and hand her the rod. While the pflueger is definately a nicer setup, for starters there's nothing wrong with a mickey pole, or in her case, spongebob.

I just got both my Daughters one of these, they were 25.00. They had the disney stuff, it didnt out last the yard in 2 days.

ugly-stock-junior1.gif

i used an old ice rig bout 2 ft long with a zebco . face it the kid just wants to do something with a 2 minute time limit , do a little boat riding do a little fishing . if they like it , one day a couple years late,r you can fish more than you ride.
ed

The Zebco 11 ultralight combo is a great choice for small children. The reel is the prefect scale for small hands and the rod makes a large bluegill feel like a smallmouth. I have one of my own that I keep in the boat. If the bass aren't biting I use it to throw a Beetle Spin for some guaranteed sunfish action.

At 5 my son started with a 5'6" graphite pole, with a spincast closed face reel, after about 3 months of teaching him to cast, he wanted to do what dad did, so I handed him my spinning reel, showed him how to flip bail hold line twice to cast 1st time he did it was bad by about the 5th cast you would never know he didnt know how to cast a spinning reel, now he is 9 he wants to try a baitcaster, and the sad thing is I cant even cast a baitcaster, good luck on your decision, and anything you choose will be a good one...

My son is seven years old and just bought a Wright & McGill Skeet Reese pole yesterday from Dicks Sporting Goods for $25.00. It came with a rod and reel, a hat, DVD and practice casting weight. He loves it, he says it looks like a reel fishing pole, and we are off to catch his fist fish on this pole today.

Attachments

• skeet.jpg
    skeet.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,030
AroostookAngler said:
My son is seven years old and just bought a Wright & McGill Skeet Reese pole yesterday from Dicks Sporting Goods for $25.00. It came with a rod and reel, a hat, DVD and practice casting weight. He loves it, he says it looks like a reel fishing pole, and we are off to catch his fist fish on this pole today.
That is a pretty cool looking setup. You'll have to report on how well it works and how it stands up to abuse.

Well my first pole was a cane pole too. My parents still have pictures of me running up the bank with my pole over my shoulder dragging catfish to shore cause I was only 3 and didnt have the strength to pick those 3-6 lb fish outta the water. It was a blast and some of the funnest fishing I ever remember doing. Then when I was 9 my dad and I made home made cane poles from cane we had found down by the creek by our house. Those were/are the toughest cane poles I've ever used and I still break them out for panfish on occassion. I even caught a 23lb channel cat hybrid on it about a year ago. THAT WAS A FIGHT!!! I ended up in worse shape than the pole. New line and it was good to go. My next fishing set up was a Zebco 33 on a 5ft fiberglass rod. I have no idea who made the rod but it was perfect for me from ages 5-10. It was easier to fish along creek banks with because it was so short and I wasnt having to fight overhanging branches just to cast. I've passed it on to my son now and between the two of us we've caught enough fish to feed a large army for a year or two. I agree with some of the other guys though. The older Zebco 33's are the way to go. I bought a new one for a girl I was dating a couple years ago and it was junk. But if you can find an older one at a flea market or yard sale you just cant beat them.,

When my son was 2, I bought him an ul spinning combo at walmart for about 15 bucks (shakespeare I think). Two years later he seen a transformer rod that he just had to have. I tried to explain to him that it was a piece of junk and that he wouldn't like it. Of course he insisted on it and I don't mind letting him learn a few leasons the hard way (seems like thats the only way he learns anything #-o ). He used it a couple times and it mysteriously disappeared. When I asked about it, he said he didn't know where it was. About six months later I asked about it again. He slipped up and told me he hid it. He is five now and is still using that same spinning reel, but every once in a while he will use the 2' transformer one. But after a few minutes, he remembers why he doesn't like it and puts it up.

I have two boys...12 and 15 now....but years ago I bought them their first "real" rods/reels (Disney, Nickelodeon, cartoon themes didn't qualify). I bought two 5'6" Shakespeare Ugly Stiks and and I put an old Zebco 33 on one and an old Zebco 404 on the other. Those Ugly Stiks are pretty tough and you can't beat the "old" Zebcos. They are still using them now. I think the rods cost about $25 per at Bass Pro.

I'd go with an ugly stick spinning set up, just because he's young and accidents do happen. :)

basstender10.6 said:
I know that shimano makes a spinning reel that is only $10 and you can get it a walmart and sports authority. Or you can get the spinning combo for only $25. it is a really nice set up for a beginner.
i just bought my nephew this set up, i wouldnt spend alot of money of his first pole the get dropped, stepped on, used as snake charmers :) , swords all the such, i grew up with all younger cousins and such and was the only kid that realy fished so i got to take them out when thet got older wow talk about learning paitence, but good for you!

I would have to agree with an ultralight set up. I have always had a couple since I was a kid. My nephew uses one of mine after his spider man rod and reel died a quick death. It's short enough and it looks like a real fishing set up. I use an ultra light a lot of times with him so he see's I use the same thing.

I have several ultra lights. I have a Browning rod and spinning reel I bought at Bass Pro (my favorite), had 3-Shakespeare Ugly stick spinning combos from Walmart, Shakespeare Micro cast Spincast combo from Walmart, and one other that I don't recall the brand of rod or reel.

The Shakespeare spinning combos are ok but I have had one of the reels break after heavy use. Catching a 5# catfish and lots of use and abuse. Still lasted 4 years though and the rod is still going strong.

I agree with several posters the Disney setup is a good deal and probably good enough for a start. Remember, this rod and reel may get planted some where in the lake and pond, never to be seen again. However I do look for a reel that is not made on the rod, that way if the reel messes up you still have a useable rod or vise versa. I bought my daughter the Zebco 22 outfit and her cousin borrowed it at the pond last weekend and lost the top part of the rod, so at least we still have a good reel. I had a old rod left in the garage from her older brothers so we put the 2 together this morning and went out for a little while before it started raining. No fish caught, but she still had a good time, went by Academy and bought some corks and hooks and she got a new pair of sun glasses....along with eating a candy bar and drinking a coke while she was fishing....Oh and at 7 she flipped over stepping stones and looked through leaves and found the worms this morning. The rod and reel really don't matter it is the time. :D

Flintcreek

Latest posts