Flat Bottom or V bottom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmattingly

Reaction score
Ok so I have a choice here, I have the option of either getting a 15 ft flat bottom jon boat or a 16 ft V bottom jon boat. I plan on converting the one I get into a bass boat. Putting on a deck, making storage bins, livewells, and trolling motor. Which one would be better for the job? Which one would be more stable

Attachments

• TWO BOATS.jpg
    TWO BOATS.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 442
Length and bottom width of each boat will be a big factor in stability. Since you didn't list the width, it will be difficult to say which is more stable. As far as framing up for the raised decks, I'd say the flatbottom has a bit of advantage there because you aren't dealing with as many curved surfaces. Just looking at the pic, I'd guess that the semi-v is a much larger boat and probably more stable but that's just guessing from what I see in the pic.

the v will be more versatile.and will handle better in rough water.and probably more efficient power/gas wise.my v is very stable but its also 63 " wide at the top.

Do you know what the width is on the flat bottom? I am with the gentleman above if it is not at least a 42 to 48 inch wide. Looking at your post it looks like you are new to boating. That being said, there are other factors that come into pace, # of people that you will have with you, their weight and size, their age(very young to old and disabled), etc. Maybe someone else can help me out here. You just need to think about a lot of thing before you just buy on a whim. Good luck. Like Phil on Duck Dynasty says: Safety, Safety, Safety!

I got measurements on the flat bottom. It is 46 inches at the top and is a 1954 model. It will be only me 95% of the time in the boat. The most I will ever have is two people. I have fished for years and have been in boats all my life, just new to the whole jon boat scene.

I would go with the V. They are nice classic fishing boats. Definitely a lot of ideas on here for either that you choose. As long as you don't build the decks to high, you should be ok especially if it is only you on the boat. Good luck with your choice and build!

Get the V.

Its a lot bigger, will be a smoother and drier boat, will be more stable (the flat bottom is really narrow), and can handle a much larger outboard.

It looks like a nice boat .... keep us posted!

Latest posts