flatbotm's 1542 build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I considered it so I wouldn't have to grind off any galvanizing. But I will just weld it in a way that the welds can be cut back off later if need be. I saw a can of galvanize look spray paint at the farm store so I will touch it up with that.

It was free, it doesn't have a subframe(lots of storage space), and it is super strong it would support the boats whole weight capacity. It will also last a lifetime if I take care of it. Plywood if done right could save you some weight. Plywood is definitely cheaper. If it wasn't free I would have gone all aluminum probably.

For your biminit top idea... I wonder if you could put a pedestal seat mount in the back and one in the front then in each mount you put an extended seat post (about 5 feet) with a T on the top, kinda like a clothsline pole. then you could stretch material between the 2 T's and have the whole boat covered.

Similar to some of the guys on swamp people. Joe/Tommy, and RJ & Jay Paul.

Cool idea jj! You've got my wheels turnin now. Maybe even y shaped 2 on either side in back that run up and y into the front seat post pocket. Keep the ideas coming.

Today I picked up the tube for the custom bimini cage. I bought 6 20 foot sticks of 6063 T5 1 inch aluminum. The guy at the aluminum place was cool and threw in 2 extra pieces for free that were bent up a little. Im going to use some of those pieces to do some test bends. I also picked up some partial sheets one of 1/8 and the other is a little less than 1/8. Throw out some ideas guys before I start bending.
photo-138.jpg

The bender I'm using is a jd2 model 32 full hydraulic tube bender. I haven't bent aluminum yet so thats why Im glad I have some test pieces. My 1 in die has a 3 in radius so its going to be some tight bends. Here is a pic of the bender.
photo-72.jpg

Thanks Derek. I kinda went all out on that tool. No for the last 10 years or so I've been building jeeps and scouts. I bought it for that but it comes in handy for all sorts of stuff. Here is the jeep.
photo-82.jpg

nice. I like the tube work on the jeep aswell. I also wheel. This is what is left of my 88 comanchee
10725_256020450371_507375371_8947536_4241374_n.jpg

Nice Derek. That comanchee looks like it's seen it's fair share of wheelin. My other project right now is a 67 scout that I'm dropping a 2004 Chevrolet 5.3 and a 4l60e into. No tube work yet but the suspension and axle swap is done.
photo-84.jpg

I've built a few. I bought this one for $400. Then I sold the tranny and t case out of it for $400. So it's essentially a free scout. 79 ford hp 44 front and a 14 bolt in the rear. I love my 14 bolts. I'm setting this one up as more of a trail truck boat towing rig. The jeeps 60 and 14 bolt are all welded so it's not the best street truck. I build all my rigs for cheap using junk yard parts. I wish I could pick up boat parts as easily. Any ideas for my Bimini cage? I've been trying to come up with a design that has the least negative effects on casting.

thats they way mines is built. cheap junkyard/used parts. My jeep has welded d60/14b combo as well. Obviously mine never sees the street.

I would do one similar to the attached picture. that way you don't have the down straps in front to get tangled in

https://www.biminitops.com.au/wp-content/w3tc/pgcache/_index.html.gzip

TTT Darryn small.jpg

That's what I was looking for Derek. Something similar with a removable canvas top for trailering. Thanks

I ripped out the remaining carpet and wood from the middle section of the boat this afternoon. I have to decide 3/4 tongue and groove bead board or alluminum to finish out the rest of the boat? Is there any reason for foam under the floor besides support and the little floatations it provides? I am thinking of not putting the foam back under the middle floor section. Any other benefits to foam. It had some bluish foam under the wood and carpet.

photo-140.jpg

I did a little work tonight on the boat. Its been raining here every afternoon when I get off work so its been hard to get anything done. I laid down some of my t and g bead board tonight. I didn't get quite finished hopefully tomorrow night. Yesterday I picked up some 1.25 square tube and a partial sheet of 3/16. I plan to re do the doors on my front deck out of aluminum to shave a little weight. After I finish the bead board I'll stain it the same as the front.

photo-142.jpg

=P~ alright boys you've got me droolin now! i love wheelin and i miss it a lot! i used to have a CJ-7 with IH Scout dana 44 axles, mild 350 mill, turbo 400 trans, dana 30 gear drive transfer case, 5:38 gears, locked rear, trac lock front, tube cage all tied to the frame, hydraulic front steering, 2" ski-jacker soft-ride lift, spring over perch conversion all ridin on 40" swampers.
i used to belong to the local club and man we had some fun

dang i miss that jeep ](*,) sorry i don't have any pics on my computer

oh and your boat is comin right along flatbotm