flatbotm's 1542 build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Derek! I tried a few different things with the cable but its not the easiest to deal with ( those steering cables are rigid)

I worked on the boat a little more yesterday afternoon. I got the steering wheel and helm installed and the cable installed in the helm. Then I got the tubes installed for the rod holders. What a pain coring out all that foam is. Messy!

photo-178.jpg

photo-179.jpg

Thanks JJ.. I'm trying to figure out the seat height for my driver and passenger seat right now. Pedestals seem to high but going with the seats just off the floor seems too low. I need to build a box like you had in your 1542 to raise the seats 6-8 inches. I didn't want to add any more weight. So I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish this with minimal lbs.

I did a little work on the boat tonight. I built the seat riser that my driver and passenger seat will sit on. Its not finished but mostly done. I can't decide if I want it to open from the top for storage or just be open in the front so I can slide in some of my flat tackle boxes. I also got in my new cables for my johnson shipmaster controls. Heres some pics of the aluminum box I built.

photo-181.jpg

The seat bases will actually sit on top of the sheet metal but you can see what the angle across is for.

photo-183.jpg

I may split the sheet at the angle and hinge it for access from the top. Then I would skin the front as well.

photo-182.jpg

nice work on the seating. I would say hinge from the top, you are not going to want to be on your knees figuring out which tackle box you want.

I like that seat/bench you built. I wish I would have done mine like that. I did mine out of 2x6 skinned with 11/32nds I think. It was kinda heavy. I had plans to re-do it with 15/32nds ply instead of 2x6 as the structure and skinn it with 11/32nds but I sold it.

When I did mine i thought that the 6'' high bench made of 2x6 with another 11/32nd of plywood plus the seat swivel and the seat bring my butt up to a perfect height for driving and riding. While it was fine I planned on making it 8'' high on the re-do. that would have put my butt at the same height as the aluminum bench once the cushion compressed.

How high did you make the bench? 6" was a little low or me.

If your going to make it so you can open it I would make two different access hatches one under each seat so you can open them independantly. It is kind of a pain to make your passenger get up everytime you need to get in there or the other way around.

i can tell you guys one thing i plan on being able to weld aluminum before my next project for sure!!! nice job!!!

Thanks for all the imput guys. Im going to make the access from the top, I see what you mean Derek about fishing out the tackle on your hands and knees. Hopefully my measuring was correct because the seat riser is only 6 inches but my swivel mounts have a 2 or 3 inch rise to them with a spring suspension thing. So I think seat height was around 13 inches but I'll have to remeasure when I get to work this afternoon.
I planned the riser to make my seat height close to that of the stock bench since that is what the console was designed for. I was thinking of maybe some cup holders in the center as well.

I got the skins for the riser cut today. I should be able to finish it tomorrow.
photo-184.jpg

just WOW!!!

=D> =D> =D>

awesome looking build.

one of those last pictures of the T&G completed my first thought was the weight as well. while the comfort of everything decked and having storage is nice, being able to high tail it and have a great plane is higher on my list. I have a welded 1448 with a Merc thunderbolt 20hp, and about 30" of front deck out of plywood. its a good bit of weight. enough for me to consider against decking the floor at all. I'm still on the fence though. two people, and two full ice chest (ice, food, drinks, and a box full of a days limit), a few batteries, plus a livewell and gas tank: at 6-8lbs per gallon. the weight adds up quick.

I also have a 99 TJ. not near a "built rig" but it enjoys rocks and such.

I am going to look at the same 1542 today 850 boat and trailer. Is the quality of the good on yours and is the metal thick enough? I have a 14' v hull 72 richline that is super thick metal it seems. thinking about upgrading to a 15' which is the max that will fit in the garage. Will yours take rough water well?

Thanks kunasbob! I'm not too worried about the weight. I can always trim the deck back and replace areas with aluminum. I could also build some floatation pods if need be. It is pretty much going to be a two person boat. One of my buddies wheels a tj. Great jeeps!

Jay d. If you want a boat that deals with rough water well don't buy a flat bottom buy a deep v. Flat bottoms plane quick, travel in shallow water, and are stable to stand and cast.

I finished up the seat riser tonight. I decided to omit the door for now access was too hindered with the seats in place so I decided to leave it off possible permanent. The seats also sit real close to the rear deck so much that they only move from side to side 3-4 inches. I will probably notch out the part of the deck that overhangs to make them pivot more. Other than that Im happy with the height and the leg room.

photo-187.jpg

photo-186.jpg

photo-185.jpg

Tonight I built the mount for my teleflex steering cable. I found a piece of tube that fits the steering cable perfectly threaded on one end. I built a mount for the transom that will house the tube that the steering cable locks into. The tube will be held by three set screws which will give it some adjustability I welded the transom mount out of 1/4 inch plate and a piece of 3/8 aluminum tube that the tube that the threaded tube will lock into.
Here are some pics of the mount. My motor was a tiller so rather than buy the expensive adapter for the steering I built one for near free.

photo-188.jpg

photo-189.jpg

photo-190.jpg

I can move it up or down from here.
photo-191.jpg