For those that store outdoors, cover on always?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
So I have 1990 that's in pretty good shape (in my opinion) as far as very minimal UV damage goes to the interior parts. I store the boat outdoors and keep the tonneau cover on when not in use to prevent any further sun damage. I noticed that the boat gets a bit musty smelling when keeping it covered.

For those that store outdoors, do you always keep it covered? Do you let it air out every now and then? Should I just febreeze that bad boy? There's no mold or mildew or anything like that on the interior. I should probably clean the carpet though.

Mine is always outdoors in the carport, with a cover on it. The amount of dust and dirt which accumulates on the cover over the off-season is ridiculous, and I live close to water, in a rain forest, so one would think the dust would be minimal...

For air, my cover not only has rear air vents, but I leave it high enough that it doesnt come down over the transom, so the back of the boat has ventilation. I also put a couple of those cheap Home Depot buckets, stacked, midship and in the bow to elevate the cover and let more air flow.

I tried building a couple of those frames to raise the cover with small-diameter ABS piping, but that didnt work very well.

There is no perfect solution. If you seal it up too tight you get mold and standing water. If you leave it too open and breathing you'll get mice and other vermin..... I have this problem constantly with tractors and equipment left outside. My tractor has been taken over by fire ants.... The only real solution is regular opening.. cleaning... inspections... I know that's not what you want to hear...

I keep the cover on year round. But, I don't put the tent poles up unless it is rainy season. So most of the year the cover is pretty loose and not even tied down. It gets plenty of air circulation.

My biggest problem is my boat is spending too much time under the cover and not enough out on the lake.

+1 on the air vents. I made mine by pushing a hot nail thru the sunbrella (about a 4 x 4 inch area). Then sewed a tent lean-to over the holes.

I store my pontoon outside under a partially enclosed cover that is open on both ends. It does get dusty but I haven't had any problems with mildew or odors. This may sound a little goofy but I used to get mice trying to set up house on the boat but at my wifes suggestion we use those fabric softener sheets in the compartments on the boat and under the seat cushions. So far it's worked great, no mouse nests, poop, or anything. When we're don using it we usually take it to the car wash and wash the carpet off well. I occasionally vacuum it off also to remove the leaves and what not that accumulate. So far so good and the boat is going on 20 years old. No sun fading or rips and tears in the upholstery yet.

I used to cover it every time I got back home. It was a pain in the tush. I keep the transom plug out, and keep the trailer tipped to drain. I really don't care if it gets wet in the rain. The only stuff I worry about is the electronics on my side console. I've got a chart plotter/sonar unit, an VHF radio, and a switch panel.

To make life easier, I sewed my own side console cover. I bought the same fabric that's used for boat covers or T-tops. I measured carefully, made a pattern out of newspaper, fit the pattern onto the boat and figured out where I screwed up. Created a new pattern and sewed it myself. I even put in the grommets that tie it down.

I'm going to add a couple of stainless steel D rings to anchor it to. It's just tied down until I get that done. So far, it's much easier than taking a cover off and putting it back on after every trip. I'll probably use the cover over the winter when it's sitting for several months.

boat_side_console_cover.jpg

boat_side_console_cover_2.jpg

maintenanceguy said:
I used to cover it every time I got back home. It was a pain in the tush. I keep the transom plug out, and keep the trailer tipped to drain. I really don't care if it gets wet in the rain. The only stuff I worry about is the electronics on my side console. I've got a chart plotter/sonar unit, an VHF radio, and a switch panel.

To make life easier, I sewed my own side console cover. I bought the same fabric that's used for boat covers or T-tops. I measured carefully, made a pattern out of newspaper, fit the pattern onto the boat and figured out where I screwed up. Created a new pattern and sewed it myself. I even put in the grommets that tie it down.

I'm going to add a couple of stainless steel D rings to anchor it to. It's just tied down until I get that done. So far, it's much easier than taking a cover off and putting it back on after every trip. I'll probably use the cover over the winter when it's sitting for several months.

Great idea, I was going to do something similar for my front seats. During the winter they get pretty wet just towing the boat through the fog, much less the rain. Because the cushion sits on a plastic molded seat bucket, it takes a while for them to dry out. Luckily, I found some ready made covers for my specific seats at a great price. I was ready to try making them. If I had done the sewing I doubt mine would have looked as good as yours.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like there's no perfect solution, but I may try to keep the cover looser to let more airflow through. I take the boat out at least once or twice a week, so it's not like it's sitting that long anyway.

maintenanceguy said:

Before I had my shop, my boat was stored outside with a cover. I tried tenting the cover but no matter what it always collected water and sagged and became so heavy I sometimes had to siphon the water out where it collected. I came to the conclusion that the water wasn't a big deal... my main concern was UV damage/fading and leaves and pine straw. I never got around to doing it, but I was thinking some type fine mesh, like the stuff they cover greenhouse areas with but tougher, would block most of the suns rays and keep out the trash but allow water to pass through and drain out.

The sunbrella-type fabrics breath pretty good but won't pass water. Vinyl faced fabrics don't breath at all.

I got generic sunbrella online & sewed the cover with an old singer. Cost me about $150. I used carpet tape to hold the seams together while sewing, worked good.

wmk0002 said:
Before I had my shop, my boat was stored outside with a cover. I tried tenting the cover but no matter what it always collected water and sagged and became so heavy I sometimes had to siphon the water out where it collected. I came to the conclusion that the water wasn't a big deal... my main concern was UV damage/fading and leaves and pine straw. I never got around to doing it, but I was thinking some type fine mesh, like the stuff they cover greenhouse areas with but tougher, would block most of the suns rays and keep out the trash but allow water to pass through and drain out.

That might be a million dollar idea. I'm not especially worried about UV fading but leaves and pine needles are a pain. My boat gets out about once a week and it always takes me 20 minutes with a shop vac to get that junk out before we head off to the ramp.

With the shortened New England boating season (mid-May to Oct, or later if/as I can) my skiffs and the 20+ others are out on the boat dock 24/7 in the full sun with saltwater exposure. With that said, I don't cover the boat but anything material or plastic that the UV could destroy gets covered, e.g., seats, controls, console, OB motor hood (if newer motors), etc.

I get maybe 4-5 seasons out of those cheap Taylor $13 polyester folding seat covers and find they last the longest by washing lightly in the washing machine at the end of the season. I even take an old t-shirt and wrap it around the side control box to keep the sun off the black and red levers. People who don't do this, their levers are sun-baked white, lol!