Hand ControllTrolling motor handle. What do you use?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccm

Reaction score
Last year when my dad upgraded to a Minnkota Fortrex foot control I was fortunate to get his modified Pro Kontroll handle. I gives 360 steering to my hand controlled Motorguide; combined with two T&H Marine foot switches it almost cant be beat for precision boat control. I just wanted to share this because I thought it was cool enough to do so. I haven't seen these used much outside of bass fishing so I was wondering what anyone else has fabed up or found/bought.
ProKontroll001_zps08caddf3.jpg

ProKontroll002_zpsca4c88cd.jpg

ProKontroll003_zps758db66e.jpg

the original straight extendable handle was lost on the hwy so this is what was created to replace it. I think it works better!
ProKontroll004_zpsdaf6468c.jpg

ProKontroll005_zps47019ab0.jpg

I've seen those in Bass Pro catalog but haven't seen one in use. The kind I had was just an extension for the Trolling motor handle. How does that one work?

The half U or L bend stays stationary attached to the shaft of the trolling motor while the handle can move 360 degrees. Using a push and pull method of steering you can move the trolling motor 360 degrees in one motion from anywhere you can reach the handle. Other extendable handles only give you 180 degree steering.
ProKontroll2001_zpsdace83b4.jpg

ProKontroll2002_zps26d3b47f.jpg

ProKontroll2003_zps24264b22.jpg

I hope this helps explain how this thing works better.

:D I like that!The handle I had just extended back, and like you said only turned 180.

looks pretty dang slick! How do you turn the motor on/off/speed up/slow down when you are a ways away from it? Looks like it would really be handy when alone so you can sit in the middle. How does it work if you want to fish stop-n-go-style?
Scott

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343878#p343878 said:
fish-n-ranch » 05 Mar 2014, 20:57[/url]"]looks pretty dang slick! How do you turn the motor on/off/speed up/slow down when you are a ways away from it? Looks like it would really be handy when alone so you can sit in the middle. How does it work if you want to fish stop-n-go-style?
Scott

I had a dimmer switch on mine. It is wired into the trolling motor hot lead. You can get them from Bass Pro, Gander Mountain or any marine dealer. I set my trolling motor on one speed and turned it off and on from the dimmer switch mounted on the deck of the boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=343878#p343878 said:
fish-n-ranch » 05 Mar 2014, 20:57[/url]"]looks pretty dang slick! How do you turn the motor on/off/speed up/slow down when you are a ways away from it? Looks like it would really be handy when alone so you can sit in the middle. How does it work if you want to fish stop-n-go-style?
Scott

I had two T&H Marine foot switches mounted to the front casting deck. Whenever I wanted to go just press the button with my foot; just take your foot off of the button to stop. when I want to change speeds I just turned the knob on the motor up or down. I use a bow mount because my transom wasn't wide enough to accommodate a trolling motor + outboard. I Currently run a MotorGuide Brute 550 45lb's of thrust; it's wore out but works well enough to pull my 14ft v hull around + my dad gave me his old Gator II mount and helped me devise a mounting area on the bow.