Howdy, new member need ideas on new 15' jon i just bought

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swayne

Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a new 15' alumnacraft jon boat. I would like to modify my boat by adding a carpeted floor and casting deck. My boat is ribbed and I am thinking about covering the rib on the inside wall of the boat with aluminum sheet metal and carpet before I add a plywood floor. Has anyone covered the rib with either carpeted aluminum or thin plywood? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Swayne
Idaho City, Idaho

I think the sheet metal would be a bit of an overkill. If you want to put something under the plywood, use the foam sheets. Itll quite things down a bit as well.

I've seen quite a few boats done like that - if you are talking about covering the sides. One thing you can do then is add some eye hooks and set up bungee cords or bungee netting to hold all kinds of things like rain gear.. I don't have my side walls covered, but I put the small tackle boxes there that hold my hooks and go to plastics held in by flat bungee cords. then I don't have to dig to find the lures I am throwing.

swayne said:
Hi,
I just bought a new 15' alumnacraft jon boat. I would like to modify my boat by adding a carpeted floor and casting deck. My boat is ribbed and I am thinking about covering the rib on the inside wall of the boat with aluminum sheet metal and carpet before I add a plywood floor. Has anyone covered the rib with either carpeted aluminum or thin plywood? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Swayne
Idaho City, Idaho

On my last boat I used 1/4 'luan' plywood, sealed with spar Urethane, covered with carpet and riveted to the sides. Not only did it look nice it will help stiffen up the boat if you have removed any of the seats

On my current build I'm using .05 aluminum for the floor (With 2" closed cell 'blue' styrofoam between the ribs) and on the sides. I start from the middle and rivet it to the floor ribs and use a 4 x 4 (or two 2 x 4's nailed together) to work a bend in it up the sides. I leave the rivets out along the top of the side ribs and I carpet it (One piece from side to side) leaving an extra inch at the top and after the glue dries I tuck in the carpeting along the top and put my last rivets in. No more crack between the floor and the side of the boat for everything to fall into and get lost, and again the boat is stiffened up even more than with wood sides. .05 aluminum sheet is plenty heavy as long as you have the closed cell styrofoam supporting it (Lund boats 12ft and under use .05"), it's easy enough to cut with quality hand snips and shears and get it to bend up the sides. (At least for me but I've also made, cut, and installed miles of galvanized steel HVAC ducts) You end up with 1 1/2" to 2" stiff foam between two layers of aluminum which also strengthens the bottom from denting or 'arching' between the ribs. You'll end up light, tight, and ready for a fight