Jay415's Alumacraft MV1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I think I'll go with everyone else here and say this build is awesome. On the piano hinge you used for the back hatch (where you hid the hinge), what are the measurements for it and where did you get it? I want to do that with my hatch doors on my casting deck, they looked pretty thin as well which is what I'm looking for. The hatch doors on mine are 3/4" plywood. Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your comments!

dettmer13 said:
Yeah, I think I'll go with everyone else here and say this build is awesome. On the piano hinge you used for the back hatch (where you hid the hinge), what are the measurements for it and where did you get it? I want to do that with my hatch doors on my casting deck, they looked pretty thin as well which is what I'm looking for. The hatch doors on mine are 3/4" plywood. Thanks!

Thanks! It's a 6' hinge that I cut down to size. I purchased it from Cabela's. It was a little pricey but well worth it, IMO. They have an Aluminum hinge also, but i went with the SS. I also used 3/4" decking with this hinge.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Aluminum-and-Stainless-Steel-Continuous-Hinges/737100.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3DHinge%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=Hinge

Jay

Lookin' good man. Your livewell setup looks great, I do have one suggestion though. Instead of running two pumps (one fill and one recirc), place enough tubing between your pump and the elbow joint that you can throw it overboard to fill up, when full enough place it back in the tank for recirc. Your existing pumpout will still work just fine. Just a thought/suggestion to keep you from having to deal with two pumps. I did this to a cooler and it works great. Originally I used the fill pump idea and got tired of having to deal with it.

Edited to add pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1135.jpg
    IMG_1135.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,683
Thanks! I thought about that cause the kit I bought was designed to be used that way. But I was concerned about having extra wire and tubing in the tank with the fish. I already have an old pump that I was going to use for the 2nd. So it's not gonna cost me any more. If it becomes a pain I'll come up with something else. Like probably through hull fittings. I just want to see how many tournaments I actually fish.

Yeah, I fugured you had looked at the livewell from every possible angle :wink: Just wanted to let you know that the extra tubing/wiring aren't as big a deal as you would initially think. I usually just buy a Reese trailer wiring kit and cut off what I need. Works well because there are four wires attached together already and it's no problem to submerge it. Great build Jay =D> =D>

rrawhide said:
Jay

What kind of carpeting did you use? 16 or 20 oz? Where did you get it from?

Thanx

rrawhide

I'm not exactly sure the weight, but this is the carpet I used.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Deluxe-Boat-Carpet/701848.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dcarpet%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=carpet&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Thanx Jay.

I ordered my carpeting from another - Cabelas did not have the color we wanted - hunter green.

So, ordered 6x25 hunter green with 2 galons of adhesive.

Also, ordered the 15' Teleflex quick connect steering assembly - since mine is frozen!!!

and the beat goes on and on!!!!

Fun tho

later

rrawhide

I was able to get out yesterday and for a place that looks like bass heaven, I didn't get one bite! Water still a little cold around 42°, but I figured they would be starting to come shallow and feed. I think it's gonna take a few more degrees of warmth for the spring time fun! It was a beautiful place to fish though!

Now for the boat, after mods, full gear and 2 adults I only got 13mph out of the motor and it's not planing out. I was thinking of putting hydrofoil fins on the motor to get the most I can out of it. Stability is awesome! I am very happy with the build! I did however realize some things I want to change. The hatch covers open outward. I flipped them around and I like them better that way. Also the pedal for the bow TM was too close to the seat making it difficult to stand because the seat would press into the back of my leg that was taking all my weight. It was throwing my balance off. I moved it forward and to the right a little and its more comfortable.
No fish yet but here's a few pics of the place I fished. These trees are in 6-18 FOW. But no bass to be found around them! I think I flipped a jig at every tree! Still enjoyed getting out though!

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

The Boat is awesome but it is pretty amazing how these mods weigh these tins down. My boat slowed a lot too after i added my front and rear deck. I was able to get a little more speed by moving some weight from the bow to the middle of the boat. Great job on your boat, I'm sure you'll get things figured out so it suits your needs. Let me know how the hydrofoil works, I've considered one of those as well.

I wondered if planing out was going to be an issue for you with only a 9.9hp. You built your framing out of all lumber which is heavier too......may have to move one of your batteries up front. That's where I put the one for my TM. made it simpler to wire.

The boat slowed, but I can't say I'm unhappy at all. The boat is balanced, very stable and very fish-able. With all additions including the motors, batteries, charger, gas, decks etc. I prob added about 400-450lbs. I went very light on wood framing. I really wouldn't have saved more than 50lbs if I went with Aluminum framing. Most of the weight came from the motors, batteries, decking. The way to save a lot of weight is use Aluminum framing and decking, but weight vs cost is the real issue.

If I need more speed Ill get a bigger motor. The boat still gets around good enough. Took me about 10 min to get from one side of the lake to the other (about 2.3 miles) It tries to plane out and the speed slowly creeps up. That's why I was hoping the hydrofoil would help. I just don't have any experience with them. I'm also not crazy about drilling holes in my cavitation plate. What happens if I take the hydrofoil off? Will the holes be any issue?

Which hole did you have your motor pin in? I would try moving it to a different hole.

Gramps50 said:
Which hole did you have your motor pin in? I would try moving it to a different hole.
I tried every hole from 1 closest to the boat through 5 furtherest from the boat. Definately slower on hole 1&2, 3-5 I couldn't see a difference. So I left it in 3.

awesome job on this, your fish finder cost more than my entire boat haha.

Jay,
How did you secure your batteries? i can see the strap but not how it's fastened.

So far I haven't. The boat doesn't go very fast so I haven't been worried about it. Right now they just sit on a rib and a 2x4 on the other side to equal the height of the rib. Theres not much room for movement. The strap is just holding the battery case closed.

Latest posts