Modifying my boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmowery2333

Reaction score
I am painting my boat next week, but I want to make sure to get the right kind and apply it the right way. I want to paint the outside silver and the inside either a darker green or brown color. The only thing is, I need help on what type of paint to use (spray can or brush) I would like to use brush cause I don't spray paint much and don't want to get runs in it. Also, my boat is aluminum so I am not sure the type of paint to get and where to find it. I am also going to paint my trailor black, but I think I will just spray paint that because it's an older trailor and anything will make it look better. What type of spray should I get for that? Looking to use all flat colors. Sorry this is so long...any suggestions? Thanks!

Pics will be added soon of what I am starting with.

Howdy, to start off, if your going down to bare aluminum anywhere on the boat, you must first apply self etching Primer. IMO Rust-oleum makes the best stuff. Either home depot or lowe's should have it. You can get it in spray cans in most stores. Then you can use many types of paints that are rated for outdoor use. I would personally go with something like rust-oleum oil base if your brushing it. You can achieve a decent finish by putting a heavy coating on using a foam roller, then tipping off with a natural bristle brush. Here is a good example, click below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVVjzbA72U#

Or this one..................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3UCEbGZmz0&feature=fvw

Thanks. Can I also get the rust oleum at Lowe's? I am new to this site and can't believe how many cool ideas are on here. Got me modivated to get my ride looking better. I plan on puting a deck in the front level with the front seat, and floor decking in the middle sections. This will be my first attemp at it, so it should be interesting [-o<

jmowery2333 said:
Thanks. Can I also get the rust oleum at Lowe's? I am new to this site and can't believe how many cool ideas are on here. Got me modivated to get my ride looking better. I plan on puting a deck in the front level with the front seat, and floor decking in the middle sections. This will be my first attemp at it, so it should be interesting [-o<

Yes, Well................ the lowes in MI has it anyways. Let's see some pictures of that rig. Playing with these ol' tins is fun.... you'll like it around here.

perchin said:
IMO Rust-oleum makes the best stuff.
I second that. I found it in the automotive section at wal mart, NOT the paint section.

For the boat you want an enamel, not a latex. Also, clean your hull with acetone before applying paint or primer.

Thanks guys. Here is what I am working with...don't know what kind of boat it is....just that its a 12' semi v I guess. If anyone can identify it, please let me know...thanks again. Having trouble uploading my pics....let me see if I can figure it out!!!

Here is the link to see my boat...can't figure out how to add pics...any help?

https://s628.photobucket.com/albums/uu1/jmowery2333/?action=postuploadshare

Thanks for the compliments....it seems now a days that kids want to sit around and play video games more then anything, and I feel it's real important to keep youngersters interested in the outdoors!

Picked up my primer and semi gloss black paint for the trailor. I have decided to paint the boat hunter green throughout. Saw one on here that I really liked, and I think I am going go with that color. Hoping to start painting tomorrow....at work now, and don't have off until thurs and frid. I will add pics as I go.

jmowery2333 said:
Thanks for the compliments....it seems now a days that kids want to sit around and play video games more then anything, and I feel it's real important to keep youngersters interested in the outdoors!

Picked up my primer and semi gloss black paint for the trailor. I have decided to paint the boat hunter green throughout. Saw one on here that I really liked, and I think I am going go with that color. Hoping to start painting tomorrow....at work now, and don't have off until thurs and frid. I will add pics as I go.

That's the truth. I have problems keeping my 9 y/o son involved in outdoor activities. I have to take away his games just to get him to go fishing with me. :?
Can't wait to see updates on your boat.

Loggerhead Mike said:
finially somebody on here with the same rig as me =D>

look'n forward to seeing the progress

Don't expect too much, this is my first attempt :D

I think I might be taking the middle seat out but I am not sure yet...how hard is it to get them out? Haven't really looked at it too closely yet.

Oh, I forgot to ask some of you guys that know a little more about boats then me? What do you think the max horsepower motor is that I could use for this boat? I can get a heck of a deal on a 9.9, but I am not sure if it would be legal....the tag is faded on the boat and I can't tell what max horsepower is....any clue?

If we do have the same rig its pretty thin aluminum. I wouldnt take the seat out unless you replace it with some kind of supports for the sides.

a 10hp would be good. i had a 7.5 and it wasnt enough to get it to sit on plane. I'd make a few more brackets for that transom if ya go w/ the 10. Cant help ya on the hp limit mine didnt have the tag either

Loggerhead Mike said:
If we do have the same rig its pretty thin aluminum. I wouldnt take the seat out unless you replace it with some kind of supports for the sides.

a 10hp would be good. i had a 7.5 and it wasnt enough to get it to sit on plane. I'd make a few more brackets for that transom if ya go w/ the 10. Cant help ya on the hp limit mine didnt have the tag either

Yeah, I didn't even think about that. Maybe I will just leave the middle seat in...don't know enough yet to mess with that.

I have a 6hp right now, and my neighbor said he would trade me straight up for his 9.9hp and it's even newer than mine. This may sound dumb, but like I said, I don't know a whole lot about boats yet...what would the brackets do? and where would I put them...any pics of what you are talking about?

I think I know now what you mean Mike....I will put a bracket on each side of the one that's all ready there. Just one question...how do I fasten it to the bottom of the boat...I don't want to drill throught it...not sure if I have the equipment to do it...any help would be appreciated...thanks.