Tinboats Tournament June 25th-RESULTS post #219 (pg15)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did see the ramp by the park, thought that was part of the park and you would have to register with the park to use it. Looks like at least two ramps for the lake then.

wasilvers said:
FishyItch - If all else fails, one of us might be able to tow it to the lake for you.

That's a nice gesture, but I don't think getting the boat to the launch will be the problem. Thanks, though.

The problem is that I live in Madison and my boat is located at my parents' house an hour to the northwest. Getting up there to work on the boat is just such a pain without a car! Right now I think I'm just planning on a record breaking speed-mod during Memorial Day weekend. (Or at least just getting it temporarily fishable.)

sorry that i don't know the names of the roads but i can tell you that the lake farm boat launch is free IF you have a wisconsin state park sticker but it is $8.00 otherwise , or goodland park is $8.00 too i think

Getting stoked.

Anybody want to give a quick rundown on the lake?
Where abouts does the channel run, any submerged trees, what kind of bottom, that type of info. Looking for basic lake info. I wont be able to pre-fish.

I only know where one big rock is , almost hit it once , that one is about 150 feet before you go under the railroad bridge it is off to the left , if you make a straight line from the lake farm boat ramp to the bridge you will miss it.

go to the wisconsin DNR website and you can get lake maps for free , while you are there you might want to get maps for mud lake/upper , lake monona (look for 2 triangles on that one , wink wink nudge nudge) , mendota and of course waubesa.
that should give you a pretty good idea. Invest in a cheap compass too , it is easy to get "turned around".

I posted this question on lake-link last year and got these responses. I feel I can share them here because no one seems to be giving away any honeyholes...

"the lake is 35' deep, so it does not get choppy like Koshkonong. Pleasure boaters take over the lake most weekends in the summer by 10-11am, but you can get in several good hours of fishing from 5-11am. Prevailing heavy winds here come from the west and south west, and the east shore of Waubesa has plenty of good fishing spots sheltered from prevailing wind directions... "
"From mid April to mid June fish green weeds in the 6' range in towards shore to 4' of water. Use a small ice jig and red worms set below a small bobber so you bait sits just above the weeds and let the wind move your bait along the weeds. End of May into June the gills will go uo on the gravel to spawn/nest. After spawning they will move back out to the weed edges before going deep for the summer. I hope this helps you feel free to call if you need more info. 262-719-6331 Tom (Mr. Gilly's guide service) "
"The last four years I spent a majority of my fishing trips on Waubesa. First off, it's an excellent panfish lake, especially bluegill. There are some nice crappie and perch, but not in nearly in the numbers like bluegill. The gills are perfect eating size - ninety percent of what I catch are 7.5"-8.5", but I've caught a few in the 9" as well as one 10" female last spring."
"With the way the lake is oriented, with a strong S or SW wind, it can be difficult to find a good place to fish and be out of the wind. If there's a large W component, out in front of Christie's or Hog Island should be fishable. Likewise, if there's a string E component, Babcock and Rockford Heights and the Bible camp are decent. If there's a strong North wind, just South of Hog Island is about the only option, especially in the summer. In spring, the North side of the lake holds most of the fish until about end of May. "

Looks like I may get up there for a days fishing next week. Any recommended places to eat lunch there? Probably going to contain my venture to Waubesa and not venture into other lakes. Too much water to try and figure out for a one day trip.

Some maps of Crib locations (some GPS confirmed and some not) of Waubesa and the other lakes up there. I guess with this much information, if I can't find a fish, I need to buy hotdogs.

Front_Page_-_Waubesa_-_Final_09-02-02.JPG

Front_Page_-_Monona_-_Final_09-01-02.JPG

Front_Page_-_Mendota_-_Final_09-01-02.JPG

Front_Page_-_Kegonsa_-_Final_09-01-02.JPG

On the map that Will posted in the first post there is a phone number for the DNR Fish Manager. Being that I have a mild aversion to talking to strangers on the phone, I used Google to look up the number and found the guy's email address. I emailed him and asked if he had any information on cribs on Waubesa, and he sent me those maps. Also some information on how there are built and general Crib information, which if anyone wants the whole file (9 pages), pm me your email address and I'll fwd it to you.

Thats a fun lake to fish. Thats when I went and got myself a lake book for Wisconsin. I was on that about 4 years ago, I only live like 45 min from there. To bad I cant go to this, I'll be in Missouri. :cry:

Hey Popeye, your map doesnt show upper mud lake at the very northern tip. You have to go under the rail road tracks to get to it.

I just found it funny the map they gave ya shows mud lake and not upper mud lake. I only found it it because I bought a best fishing lake map when I was up there. Last time I was there I pulled some bass from there. But that has been a few years and I dont know what its like anymore.

Like I said, it has been a few years. I know it wasnt very deep when I was in there last time and yes weedy.

Latest posts