To be named... 1436

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Team Cornmeal said:
Definitely go with the high density styrofoam. If water gets in the boat the pink stuff will absorb the water and become waterlogged. Even though the HD can get water logged if left under water. example leaving plug in while boat is sitting outside in a rain storm. The HD will release water and dry out faster.
If you remember back in the day, most floating boat houses, duck blinds had the HD foam under them. Even the some metal pontoons where filled with the HD foam.

Carpet: I agree, Lowes and Home Depot has a great selection of outdoor carpet. I prefer the Gray color due to the fact that when it fades it still looks good vs a dark color like blue or reds.

Just my thoughts
I have always like the dark gray with the army green or any color. I just think it looks sharp 8)

I meant to add that I did pick up a sample of darkgray at Lowes the other day. Im hoping to get to go to HD today to go get some 5200 and look at their carpet. Tractor supply is on the way so hopefully I get to go.

Just got done power washing it. It dosent really look like it but I got ALOT OF CRAP out of it. Pics will be uploaded tommorow.

Ok. I went to tractor supply and the guy said they do have foam, but they get their shipments in on Wednesdays and they had already threw it all away. :? So im gonna make a trip their wednesday. And instead of using 5200 since once you put it on you cant get it off I am going to just use a tube of silicone.

I have a bunch of holes just on the sides and tops. There not under the water line. What could I use to fill these that way I can sand it down and paint over it.

Here are the pics. And like I said I got a TON of junk out. Is there a way to remove the transom without taking the rivets out? Its not the end of the world if I have to but a rivet gun but just trying to save some $$$

Attachments

• Power wahsed center.jpg
    Power wahsed center.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,322
  • Power washed bow.jpg
    Power washed bow.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,322
  • Power wahsed transom area.jpg
    Power wahsed transom area.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,322
  • IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,322
I was having some trouble drilling out the rivets... any tips?

BTW I picked up my trailer tonight! Got a couple of things im gonna do to it and paint it. The only pic I have is from when I picked it up. Ill take some more tommorow.

Attachments

• Boat trailer.JPG
    Boat trailer.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,454
i like that trailer! has potential!

as far as the rivets go... i have only had very few come out easily! use the right size drill bit (i used 1/4in) and make sure the bit is sharp! when all else fails use a grinder, a hammer, a pry bar, and whatever else you can throw at it!

I had to remove a decent amount of rivets from my transom. I drilled the heads then popped them off with a flat head screwdriver. Then I punched out the rivet body with a hammer and punch. First few went rough, but once I got the hang of it the rest came out pretty easily. I'm thinking it would have been easier to grind off the back end (mushroomed) then popped the body out with a punch. I'll be trying it this way when I remove my middle bench seat rivets.

I was trying that but since theres not a hole to put the bit in it was swimming so I couldnt stay in the center. Im gonna try a little harder tomorow though. I was short on time. I also tried using a crow bar and hammer but wasnt getting far. I tried my dremel but its one of the cheaper ones. It wasnt doing anything.

I know there is 50 ways to skin a cat but I used a 1 1/2" old antique wood chisel to cut my rivets. Similar to the one pictured here: https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photography-antique-framing-chisel-image10736752

Just make sure it is flat against the boat so when you smack it with the shop hammer it doesn't gouge the boat. I literally did all the rivets on my transom in under 2 mins! Popped em right off.

Well went out stripped down and powerwashed it. Took alot of pics but found out about the move when I got back on. #-o O well it will be bigger and better!

mcateercustom said:
I know there is 50 ways to skin a cat but I used a 1 1/2" old antique wood chisel to cut my rivets. Similar to the one pictured here: https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photography-antique-framing-chisel-image10736752

Just make sure it is flat against the boat so when you smack it with the shop hammer it doesn't gouge the boat. I literally did all the rivets on my transom in under 2 mins! Popped em right off.

That's how i removed my rivets too :)

Lol works great for rivets! Not so well on caulk and bondo Took me three hours to get that junk sanded off!! :x

Ive been sanding down the trailer for the worst part. I think ive decided to bed liner it. 1.Because I really like the looks of it. 2.Its not as expensive as I thought. 3.Not as much prep work :)

On the other note I havent really worked on the transom but still cant get the rivets. :oops:

Is there any way to get a new capacity plate? mine is pretty tore up.

I'm going to bed liner my interior too. I love the stuff. Gonna go with a dark gray. It looks so clean! What kind are you doing? I would also like a capacity plate as mine is not there lol! Have you tried a chisel on the rivets? May not work for everyone. If you go that route just try and make sure your only cutting the rivet and not the hull! Great boat BTW!

I found out my neighbor has an angle grinder! So after grinding all of the heads off and punch a couple out I found out they werent what everybody calls rivets. They were something else but I dont know what. My neighbor knew the name and called them something... There harder to punch out cause there hollow and they just expand.

Are they called brads?

Tommorow I will try to get the rest of them punched out. There tricky! I went to walley world and got some stuff from rustoleum to prep the trailer. Im pretty sure Im gonna use the black bedliner in the rattle cans. Any body know roughly how much I would need? I want to do a decent layer.

Heres some pics of the trailer...

you think anybody would want the jack in Member Karma if I put it in there?

Attachments

• IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,423
  • IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,423
  • IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 1,423
  • IMG_0903.JPG
    IMG_0903.JPG