Today may be the day... Xpress 1546D

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey russ,I think i see a couple spots of dirt on your new boat.
Maybe you could plant a garden in it:)
Nice boat...
Never know,the fishfinder may work,wipe it down,put it in a dry spot for a week or so,give er a try.
My boats a 1652 and weighs 367lbs,you should be able to handle your new boat just fine,especially after that soaked up wood is gone.
Your boat shouldn't be much over 1000lbs once modded,pretty sure your truck should handle it maybe add a trans. cooler.
Nice find.

would a soggy sheet of carpeted marine grade plywood weigh that much?

Do you think I should open up the front deck and take out the styrofoam? I wasn't planning on touching the front deck really...

Honestly, the only thing I had planned on doing was extending the front deck back about 20" to have storage and place my 2 batteries. Then extend the rear bench about 20" forward to house the livewell and add a little more storage. I might cut the top out of that bench for more storage, but I haven't had a chance to really study or take measurements since it's not at my house yet.

I'm trying to keep this one as light as possible... we'll see how that one turns out.

The foam maybe water logged from sitting in the weather.After a while some foams act like a sponge and absorb water.I would check it to see and replace it if it is and make battery well(s) in the deck.

think a MinnKota Maxxum 101 would be too much for this?? or should I stick with a 71# thrust or 55#

russ010 said:
think a MinnKota Maxxum 101 would be too much for this?? or should I stick with a 71# thrust or 55#
Not at all. I would probably go with 2 101s, or 3 70s, were it my rig, and I were going electric only.

well I was talking about bow mount maxxum 101...

but as for the rear, I'm going to sell my 2 TMs on the back and get me either a Motorguide 101 or 82 to put on the rear... I hear they run circles around the minnkota for pushing

well I called today and it looks like I won't be able to get it anytime soon... this thing is about 2 hours from me, and they've been having a lot of rain so I can't get my truck in there to get it out... then again, I couldn't get it out even if it was dry because of the hill I would have to pull it up.

I just called and she said she is trying to get one of her friends with a winch to come and get it out... man, I've got a lot of patience, but I can't wait to get started on this thing! I keep changing the design in my head, so there's no telling what is going to end up.

here are my plans...

If you can think of anything that might make it better, please by all means give me your suggestions.

1 - extend the front deck back about 2'. I think that is a 42" deck, but I didn't measure and I'm going from looking at the photos. I want to put 1 battery on the left and right, then put a middle storage. I want to keep life jackets in that cubby hole under the front pedestal seat. I even thought about leaving that space open as a walk down and then extend the battery compartments down the side of the boat a little for my plano boxes with baits.

2 - scrap the rod box.

3 - extend the rear deck foward about 2' for storage and a place to put a livewell.

4 - the livewell.... I'm thinking I can get a big plastic box and make my own, or keep the cooler and just fix it so that it can still be removable.. BUT, I want to put a pump in the back to fill it up, a recirculation pump on the actual cooler, and then rig up a bilge to pump water out. I've got the plans in my head, I'm just scared to death to drill into the boat. Does anybody see any problems with putting the drain hole on the side of the boat? I've seen one other boat done this way at one of our tournaments, but I didn't look at it closely enough to see how he did it.

5 - batteries in the rear. I think I'm just going to deck over that space, but leave compartments on the side to store anchors, and any other nonsense.

6 - wiring... I think I should run all the wires under the flooring, but I'm wondering how well the boat will still drain. I could run the lines down the sides of the boat, and I'm actually thinking of putting 1/4" ply walls up and incorporating some type of storage.

russ010 said:
Does anybody see any problems with putting the drain hole on the side of the boat? I've seen one other boat done this way at one of our tournaments, but I didn't look at it closely enough to see how he did it.

If the rain will allow me to go fishng this weekend, I will snap pictures of the factory livewell setup in my boat. My drain hole is on the side below the waterline at rest and it works fine.

The only time that I will have a problem is if the hose from the drain to livewell leaks. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen, ever.. let alone anytime soon.

can you still drain the livewell while you are out on the water with it below the water line?

I was thinking of putting the drain above the water line and using a bilge pump to push it out...

I haven't given it a great deal of thought, but to me it seems like you would want the drain above the water line.

Russ Congrats man!! I had a Nissan p/u I used to tow my boat with, and I towed a 15ft. fiberglass with a 50hp motor. I'm not saying my truck liked it, but its a Nissan! You can abuse it ,and it doesn't mind. You'll be fine towing that boat. Now as to getting it out of the yard... that's another story.

I'm wondering if you can register it, then if you have AAA they can come tow it out to your house, or if it's over 100 miles, just to the road for you to trailer.

Not sure if it would work, but if it's your vehicle, they should do it for you.

ober51 said:
I'm wondering if you can register it, then if you have AAA they can come tow it out to your house, or if it's over 100 miles, just to the road for you to trailer.

If it were my yard, I wouldn't have a problem with that... but if I don't hear from her by Saturday, I'll take my bro-in-laws Rhino out there and pull it out with that... I'm just trying to be patient.

But I don't have AAA either... I have USAA auto insurance and Road Side Assistance is free, so no need for me to have AAA - But, that was a good thought.

russ010 said:
ober51 said:

If it were my yard, I wouldn't have a problem with that... but if I don't hear from her by Saturday, I'll take my bro-in-laws Rhino out there and pull it out with that... I'm just trying to be patient.

But I don't have AAA either... I have USAA auto insurance and Road Side Assistance is free, so no need for me to have AAA - But, that was a good thought.

Yeah, just trying to help ya out. Good luck, should be a sweet rebuild!

Got any friends that fly the Blackhawk? :LOL2:

crap... I am gonna have to get my boat finished painted and get the sprayer back to you!!!

I just got the inside to do, should be done this week Russ...

Jyphotography said:
crap... I am gonna have to get my boat finished painted and get the sprayer back to you!!!

I just got the inside to do, should be done this week Russ...

No rush man... I haven't got the boat yet and it's going to be a little bit before I start modding. But I'll have to paint it first. Either way, I've got drill this weekend so I won't have it until next week unless I get the magic call one night this week to go pick it up!

russ010 said:
can you still drain the livewell while you are out on the water with it below the water line?

I was thinking of putting the drain above the water line and using a bilge pump to push it out...

Once you get on plane, I think the live well will empty with the drain below the water line...

Status
Not open for further replies.