too much motor? - - - - - - - lots of pictures

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyrulz

Reaction score
well since i'm hoping for pictures, i may as well share some of my own. here's my flats boat on the last day of duck season:

img1360ti.jpg

we shot 2 teal that day, should've had more ducks in the boat, but we need more target practice apparently...yep we hunted out of a white boat. do it all the time :lol:

it's an '01 15' backcountry proguide 151 (rated for a 60hp), powered w/ an '05 Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke. not as fast as you'd think 45mph on GPS trimmed out w/ 1/2 tank of gas & just me on board, but could be propped more for speed, guy w/ same setup told me he hit 67mph on GPS using a lab'd prop (26 pitch?...i forget)

& some more the day i bought it:

img1358re.jpg

img1355rj.jpg

img1353t.jpg

chevyrulz said:
1436 Alumacraft ('94) + 35hp Honda 4-stroke ('94)

motor weighs 200lbs, i will reinforce the transom, & only trailer w/ transom saver

main concern is will it float lol

after i attach the motor that's way to **** big for this hull, then i need to counter the stern overweight problem by adding a deck up front[/img]

So you are going to fix the weight problem by adding more weight? Nice motor and nice boat, but not a good combo. If the motor runs, I'd keep it and look for a bigger boat. I'm sure you'll do what you want, but that looks like a recipe for disaster :shock: Not sure I could afford the lawsuits if something went wrong w/ that set up.

Ictalurus said:
So you are going to fix the weight problem by adding more weight?
that's the plan, lol. i won't be over the hull weight capacity, but it won't be balanced if i don't put weight up front.

Ictalurus said:
Nice motor and nice boat, but not a good combo. If the motor runs, I'd keep it and look for a bigger boat. I'm sure you'll do what you want, but that looks like a recipe for disaster :shock: Not sure I could afford the lawsuits if something went wrong w/ that set up.

thank you

i am looking for a bigger hull, but my money is tied up in this perfect condition 1436 so i might just see how it turns out :mrgreen:

the motor runs like a top & looks brand new under the hood

i keep envisioning my motor stalling out, & the boat being swamped over the transom as it comes to an abrupt halt, then bubbles as the whole rig sinks to the bottom. but then i've seen worse setups on the river plenty...falcons & bug busters with 70hp on the back ya know? or similary overpowered tinboats, hoping for some positive results from someone that's successfully done this, but i'm expecting a lot of warnings [-X

Enough people have seen me do foolish or stupid things over the years so you'll get no warnings from here. :lol: I would like to see a video of the first launch and subsequent events leading up to getting it on plane. If it was designed for a max of a 20hp 2 stroke, that motor is surely going to test some limits and I wanna watch. :mrgreen: This has all the potential of being equivalent to one of those "hold my beer and watch this" moments.

I tend to be a little on the cautious side and to me that is not a good boat/motor combo. Fine on their own but not together. I have the perfect solution. Trade my 98 25 merc for yours!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361390645887.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361390645887.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,885
i'd hate to know i sent a $4000 motor to the bottom of a river because i couldn't read and follow the manufacturer's recommendations on the hull. You're setting yourself up for disaster physically and financially with that setup. you need at least a 1548 with that much of a fourstroke. But hey, its your money... I'm sure it would float and probably be really really fast, just be careful slowing down

JMichael said:
Enough people have seen me do foolish or stupid things over the years so you'll get no warnings from here. :lol: I would like to see a video of the first launch and subsequent events leading up to getting it on plane. If it was designed for a max of a 20hp 2 stroke, that motor is surely going to test some limits and I wanna watch. :mrgreen: This has all the potential of being equivalent to one of those "hold my beer and watch this" moments.
o yea, that's exactly why i want to do this so bad, i'll be sure to get on the youtubes if it's a total disaster

hoosier78 said:
I tend to be a little on the cautious side and to me that is not a good boat/motor combo. Fine on their own but not together. I have the perfect solution. Trade my 98 25 merc for yours!
looks like a great motor, unfortunately, merc is the ford of the boating world in my eyes plus you're pretty far away up there in yankee land, no offense tho :mrgreen: :beer:

erictetterton said:
i'd hate to know i sent a $4000 motor to the bottom of a river because i couldn't read and follow the manufacturer's recommendations on the hull. You're setting yourself up for disaster physically and financially with that setup. you need at least a 1548 with that much of a fourstroke. But hey, its your money... I'm sure it would float and probably be really really fast, just be careful slowing down
hence the thread, & I was also thinking i need wider & longer hull. hmmmm...decisions, decisions. i want to do it, & then list it for sale, just so i can play with the **** thing while i try to keep it off the bottom of the river :twisted:

Ictalurus said:
Chevy

Yep, no doubt that thing will fly and I'd also love to see a video.
10-4

Paul Marx said:
You're not overpowered , your over weight for the back of that boat . Nice motor though . I think Honda is the heaviest motor made.
exactly what i was thinking, i see 35 2 strokes on 14s all day, but they have 100 less pounds with 1 less cylinder than my honda. heaviest motor i ever tried to carry, that's for **** sure

hoosier78 said:
looks like a great motor, unfortunately, merc is the ford of the boating world in my eyes plus you're pretty far away up there in yankee land, no offense tho :mrgreen: :beer:

I drive a ford truck:grin: I know what you are referring too on the yankee land but up here in God's country we prefer the St. Louis Cardinals.

sell it and get a 2 smoke johnny/rude 35hp save alot of weight off the back

I like it.
As for the tongue weight you can bolt some weight directly to the trailer.

I can't really scold you, since up until a few weeks ago I was running a 40/28 Johnson jet on a 1438 Fisher, pot calling the kettle black, knowutimean? :mrgreen:

That being said, my boat had a wide beam, almost 60", it was a mod-v bottom so it cornered better, I had remote steering, and with the jet I was only putting 28 hp to the water. The fastest I ever got on gps was 33 mph, I imagine that thing would easily top 40...

Beefing your transom up is pretty straightforward, the most important part is bracing from the top-middle (where the motor hangs) up to the gunwhale on an angle. You could use a piece of angle or tube like I did mine, or a bigazz corner gusset like they use on high-hp jet boats. This (hopefully) prevents the torque from takeoff from ripping the transom free at the top corners...

Honestly though, my biggest concern would be the boat just flat out going too fast to be safe. With such a lightweight hull, and especially being a flat bottom, all it would take is hitting a wave wrong or a big gust of wind and she goes skipping like a rock...

Check out my build link in my sig if you need ideas for how to brace the transom, and if you go through with it, be careful man. Nobody wants to hear about a fellow tinboater being injured! Alright, I'll get off my soapbox now, have fun and don't forget to post some videos when you run it!

chevyrulz said:
1436 Alumacraft ('94) + 35hp Honda 4-stroke ('94)

boatmotor.jpg

This is a joke, right?!?!

You can't seriously be considering running that motor on that boat. You would be a fool many times over to do so.

If the motor really only cost you $500 and it runs fine, then simply sell it .... get a proper motor for the boat .... and pocket a thousand dollars.

like catmansteve said "Honestly though, my biggest concern would be the boat just flat out going too fast to be safe. With such a lightweight hull, and especially being a flat bottom, all it would take is hitting a wave wrong or a big gust of wind and she goes skipping like a rock..."

my buddy has a 14 foot valco semi v with a 77 2 smoke 35hp johnson and it hauls, with both of us (220 160)plus some gear,motor not dieled in it hits 30 in a heart beat and definitely feels like if you hit a wave or something weird happened could send you out the boat real easy. if your not horsing around and trying to jump waves its not to bad but that motor weighs a lil over 100 pounds if i remember correctly, he didnt do any thing to his transom yet just running it stock and the valco can take the force but for how long im not sure

i say get a lighter 2 stroke 35 would be your best bet and pocket the extra cash or put it in to the boat 35 hp is nice but can be dangerous oh and his valco was rated for 20hp aswell

I don’t think a 35HP on a 14 Jon is anything to get crazy about. It’s probably rated for a 25HP I was running a 25HP three cylinder on my 14 and it worked great. If anything the issue would be with the weight. I’m guessing it ways 200lbs give or take a pound or so. Nothing a couple of float pods wouldn’t take care of.

Latest posts