too much motor? - - - - - - - lots of pictures

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey this is what I am talking about.....my friends boat is like this one.....it really hauls the mail too.

Attachments

• Spotlight--Rogue Jet-Butte 2 (2).jpg
    Spotlight--Rogue Jet-Butte 2 (2).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 469
this is a perfect example of people asking for advice and then ignoring it when they get it. The issue isnt the hp, its the fact that you are going to have a heavy 4 stroke, a gas tank a person and possibly a battery in the back of a narrow boat with low freeboard. There is a big difference between a 17' which is at minimum 12" wider than yours thus displacing more water and having a higher freeboard plus it has a 2stroke on it. A 1436 with that much weight is just dumb. Anything bigger than a 6" wave is going to swamp the boat. Im not against overpowering a boat, but at least dont be so dumb about it

I'm with T Man. This is just a stupid idea. I would prefer to keep stupidity off the waters that I fish. At the very least, I don't want to be inconvenienced by the salvage crew or rescue crew coming to pick up the pieces.

Overpowering a boat and overloading a boat are two compeletly different things. Good luck. Hope you wear your lifejacket.

Ok boys let’s play nice,

I read through this thread and I didn’t see a question mark after any of chevyrulz sentences. In other words he wasn’t asking for any advice as it pertains to the boat motor combination. He did inquire about the bench seat but not the motor. Besides just because someone asks for advice or an opinion don’t get all butthurt if they don’t follow your advice. This is his boat not you all’s.

Seriously calling someone a fool and such because they don’t agree with you is pretty arrogant I think. There may be some legitimate safety concerns having a motor that heavy on a small boat but unless you’re the tin boat police give the kid a break. If you are supper conservative as it relates to boat weight and max HP hey good for you. If some of us are a little bit more adventurous hey get over it, relax go have a cold bear or a class of wine.
Life is **** short, have a little fun lest you turn in to a grumpy old man. :LOL2:

Country Dave said:
Ok boys let’s play nice,

I read through this thread and I didn’t see a question mark after any of chevyrulz sentences. In other words he wasn’t asking for any advice as it pertains to the boat motor combination. He did inquire about the bench seat but not the motor. Besides just because someone asks for advice or an opinion don’t get all butthurt if they don’t follow your advice. This is his boat not you all’s.

Seriously calling someone a fool and such because they don’t agree with you is pretty arrogant I think. There may be some legitimate safety concerns having a motor that heavy on a small boat but unless you’re the tin boat police give the kid a break. If you are supper conservative as it relates to boat weight and max HP hey good for you. If some of us are a little bit more adventurous hey get over it, relax go have a cold bear or a class of wine.
Life is **** short, have a little fun lest you turn in to a grumpy old man. :LOL2:
I agree with almost everything you said........ except in the title of this thread it says "to much motor?"

Very astute hoosier78,

I said I read through the thread not the title. :LOL2: I’m thinking that was as much of a statement as it was a question. However I think my points are valid and relevant and I’m glad you see it the same way.

hoosier78 said:
I agree with almost everything you said........ except in the title of this thread it says "to much motor?"

This

Country Dave said:
Besides just because someone asks for advice or an opinion don’t get all butthurt if they don’t follow your advice. This is his boat not you all’s.

Dont ask a question you dont want answered honestly.

Country Dave said:
Seriously calling someone a fool and such because they don’t agree with you is pretty arrogant I think.

Its not a matter of arrogance, and its not like there is anything to debate about it either, putting close to 600lbs (conservatively) on the back 4' of a 1436 aluminum boat is foolish and a really good way to swamp a boat. (200lb motor, 80lb battery, 40lb fuel, and a 150lb driver) Like I previously said, there is a big difference between overpowering a boat and overloading one. I had a buddy swamp his 1836 during duck season here this year because he was overloaded. All 3 guys got lucky. Its nothing to fool with.

I would say have it on private water. If you're launching this on public waterways, closed waterways especially...it's not a matter of live and let live in my opinion.

My last one on this.

T Man said:
hoosier78 said:

This

Country Dave said:
Besides just because someone asks for advice or an opinion don’t get all butthurt if they don’t follow your advice. This is his boat not you all’s.

Dont ask a question you dont want answered honestly.

Country Dave said:
Seriously calling someone a fool and such because they don’t agree with you is pretty arrogant I think.

Its not a matter of arrogance, and its not like there is anything to debate about it either, putting close to 600lbs (conservatively) on the back 4' of a 1436 aluminum boat is foolish and a really good way to swamp a boat. (200lb motor, 80lb battery, 40lb fuel, and a 150lb driver) Like I previously said, there is a big difference between overpowering a boat and overloading one. I had a buddy swamp his 1836 during duck season here this year because he was overloaded. All 3 guys got lucky. Its nothing to fool with.

I respectfully disagree, or I could just say you’re foolish because I have a deferent opinion than you. If I understand you’re logic that would be ok with you because, if someone does not agree with someone then they are foolish.

The point here is not whether or not the boat is overpowered or over gross that’s a given, save not safe or somewhere in between it’s irrelevant. The point I was making and stand by is “Its arrogance to call someone foolish and insult them because they don’t take your advice or they disagree with you.
You say “Dont ask a question you dont want answered honestly.” Really :LOL2: I think what you mean to say is, don’t ask questions if you don’t agree with my answers

i definitely made the thread to hear & heed advice. picked up some diamond plate cheap....might have time for pictures eventuallly

Have you put it in the water and try'd it out yet w that heavy motor? I think it is a disaster waiting to happen and would only be marginally safe in glass calm water, a deathtrap in any kind of chop or navigating bigger boatwakes. That heavy motor will also amplify/prolong the boats rocking w any type of waves hitting the sides of the narrow boat. If you do your proposed mods and remove the floatation from the boat you will have a 12' self propelled, quickset anchor waiting to happen.

I have to say if you have to ask yourself the question if it will float then it isn't a good idea. Long story short the hull of your boat is only designed to go so fast, and anything after that speed will result in porpoising. Trust me I had a 12 footer with a 25 merc on the back of that thing and the only thing it did was porpois anything above 20mph. I had to add trim tabs to keep the bow down, and even with that the water was about 4 inches front the top of my transom with me on that back bench even on glass, and I only weigh 170!!! Gotta say though the thing was fun while I had it even though I almost sunk it at the sandbar because of chop, and almost killed myself a handful of times because if I turned to hard I would get thrown out of the boat or I could not slow down in time to avoid what was in front of me I.E a down skier, tuber, or a stopped boat. Oh and i dont even want to tell you about the time i hit a huge wave and let go of the tiller. All I am tring to say is that you may think your plan looks good on paper, but in life everything looks good on paper. I just hope you have fun with your project, and be safe.

You know what they say everyone has an opinion......with that said, I think you got a great deal on the motor. IMO that boat is too small, but you could always upgrade it......flip that boat and trailer and get a good sized boat in the 14-16 foot range. The problem with small 4 strokes is their weight......yea that thing would probably fly, but by the time you mod the transom and install all your stuff you got a bunch of money tied into a small boat. I would find a smaller 2 stroke for the above boat, and buy a bigger boat for the honda.

T Man said:
there won't be 600lbs on the back. 735lbs is the total capacity of the hull rating for motor & passengers (600lbs for passengers & 135lbs motor). my motor is 215lbs, so i'm only 80lbs over the motor weight rating. that's a heck of a lot to be over i realize. but i'm no 300 pounder either, i weigh 160. plus my plan doesn't involve cutting out the bench any more, i 86'd that idea for obvious reasons. the gas tank and battery will be up front, i have the smallest marine battery i could find from walmart it weighs prolly 40lbs. & i have a 6 gallon gas tank. i may have found a trade for a 30 2-stroke, cross your fingers for me! lol

I really like this thread and I’m glad we all are able to give and get opinions on this forum.

“This is mine.” If you want to give that boat motor combo a try, do it. I would try and do it before you made any mods. If you think that combo is going to work for you then move forward with your build/mods. Prudence says it’s too much motor for the boat. Your best option might be keeping the motor and getting a little bit bigger boat. That’s an option, and options are good.

The boat manufacture determines max HP and weight recommendations for their hulls. Now I know they error on the side of caution and we might even agree with that. But you can easily exceed max recommended HP by 15 to 20 percent and never have an issue. This is not my opinion; this has been my experience with many repowers. However a bunch of weight at the stern is the bigger issues by far.

My issue was and is, just be kind to each other, no need for name calling or cut downs because someone doesn’t agree with your recommendation or opinion. Bottom line the boat is overpowered and may be unsafe, but if you’re ok with it, if you like it, go for it. I won't call you a fool or stupid or anything like that. I will call you adventurous. :LOL2:

Latest posts