too much motor? - - - - - - - lots of pictures

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Country Dave, I don't think the extra HP is going to make that big of a difference. I think the problem if any would be when you couple the extra HP with that much added weight on the transom. If you were to add some decent size pods to the boat, that would negate the added weight and solve any potential problem. But without the pods being added, I'd like to watch. :shock:

1436 alumacrafts are rated for a 15hp.. You are putting more than double the HP on a pretty small boat. I don't think that would be safe at all, that is a lot of weight to compensate and way to much power/speed.

LOL life is short. It’s ok to have a little fun.

Last year I attended an amazing workshop called Coach for America led by former NFL player (and now coach and Minister) Joe Ehrmann. Joe mentioned something that truly changed the way I think about my life. He referred to a study of older people who were in the “twilight” of their lives; and the study asked these wise elders a powerful question:

“What do you wish you had done more of in life?”

1) Left More of A Legacy.
2) 2) Reflected More.
3) 3) Taken More Risks.

Now let me be crystal clear about this lest I be misunderstood. There is a definite distinction between reckless abandon and tacking a little risk. As long as you don’t recklessly but someone else in harm’s way, live a little. Take more risk. I was in the military; I drove motorcycles since I was old enough to get on one. I drive on the crowed highways and byways of the country and I fly often.
We take risks every day, so why not take a little risk now and then so that we might enjoy life a little. Have a little fun and not have the regret of those who are in the twilight of their life looking back and wishing they took more risks.

Country Dave said:
LOL life is short. It’s ok to have a little fun.

Last year I attended an amazing workshop called Coach for America led by former NFL player (and now coach and Minister) Joe Ehrmann. Joe mentioned something that truly changed the way I think about my life. He referred to a study of older people who were in the “twilight” of their lives; and the study asked these wise elders a powerful question:

“What do you wish you had done more of in life?”

1) Left More of A Legacy.
2) 2) Reflected More.
3) 3) Taken More Risks.

Now let me be crystal clear about this lest I be misunderstood. There is a definite distinction between reckless abandon and tacking a little risk. As long as you don’t recklessly but someone else in harm’s way, live a little. Take more risk. I was in the military; I drove motorcycles since I was old enough to get on one. I drive on the crowed highways and byways of the country and I fly often.
We take risks every day, so why not take a little risk now and then so that we might enjoy life a little. Have a little fun and not have the regret of those who are in the twilight of their life looking back and wishing they took more risks.

X2

MrSimon said:
If the motor really only cost you $500 and it runs fine, then simply sell it .... get a proper motor for the boat .... and pocket a thousand dollars.
that would be the smart thing to do, but i never was very smart

catmansteve said:
Check out my build link in my sig if you need ideas for how to brace the transom,
exactly what i was looking for, ideas like this! thank you

i don't plan on needing or wanting to go full throttle alone in this rig. what will be nice is to have 2 passengers & still be able to make good time on the long ride up the river from the boat landing to the duck hunting spots. each minute faster i make that journey is another minute i can sleep in! :mrgreen:

after much consideration & research, i'm going for it

i read the specs on the hull, it's rated for 600lbs or 3 persons with a 135lb motor 15hp or less. factor my motor into the equation (~215lbs) & i think this is well within the "safe enough" zone provided that my transom is properly supported, & the extra stern weight is properly counter-balanced on the bow. i have decided against removing the center bench, it's not worth the extra work or structural risk for the minor benefit. i'm going to build it like this MS paint:

1436top.jpg

pictures to come once construction begins

for now:

images

lol you will be flying for sure my buddies valco with the 35hp is pretty quick and is hella fun we haven't even fished out of it yet haha to busy cruising all around the lakes and rivers and what not everytime we go out with it

nick4203 said:
lol you will be flying for sure my buddies valco with the 35hp is pretty quick and is hella fun we haven't even fished out of it yet haha to busy cruising all around the lakes and rivers and what not everytime we go out with it

i hope so, i know 35hp isn't too much with proper caution from the operator because i've driven a 30 2 stroke on same hull, and have seen plenty with 35s & 40s on same hull...but my main concern was/is the integrity of the transom, and the rest of the hull itself for that matter, because of how unbelievably heavy honda made this motor. there's so many rednecks like myself around here, i won't have a problem selling it if i can keep it afloat [-o<

JMichael said:
Like Country Dave, I don't think the extra HP is going to make that big of a difference. I think the problem if any would be when you couple the extra HP with that much added weight on the transom. If you were to add some decent size pods to the boat, that would negate the added weight and solve any potential problem. But without the pods being added, I'd like to watch. :shock:
by "pods" i am assuming you mean adding flotation of some sort. problem is, adding flotation only helps when the hull is full of water which is hopefully never. i could fill the entire hull w/ closed cell foam 6' high & it would float no different than if i took all the foam out if there was no water inside the hull. my buddy has a fiberglass boat w/ a 25hp that he left tied to his sailboat for a month or so, it had a slow leak + rain, it filled up w/ water. i went out to check it for him & it was floating 6" or so above the surface perfectly level despite being so full of water it looked like it should have sank. that's what the flotation "pods" are designed by the manufacturer to do. they float the hull level so it can be salvaged. that's why they put the flotation mid, fore, & aft. or in the case of boston whaler, throughout between the floor & hull bottom.

i do plan to add flotation, i have closed cell foam in a can from west marine with which i could fill rear pods if i deck the transom to rear bench reinforment. & i'm already going to put foamboard under the flooring

chevyrulz said:
nick4203 said:

i hope so, i know 35hp isn't too much with proper caution from the operator because i've driven a 30 2 stroke on same hull, and have seen plenty with 35s & 40s on same hull...but my main concern was/is the integrity of the transom, and the rest of the hull itself for that matter, because of how unbelievably heavy honda made this motor. there's so many rednecks like myself around here, i won't have a problem selling it if i can keep it afloat [-o<

JMichael said:
by "pods" i am assuming you mean adding flotation of some sort. problem is, adding flotation only helps when the hull is full of water which is hopefully never. i could fill the entire hull w/ closed cell foam 6' high & it would float no different than if i took all the foam out if there was no water inside the hull. my buddy has a fiberglass boat w/ a 25hp that he left tied to his sailboat for a month or so, it had a slow leak + rain, it filled up w/ water. i went out to check it for him & it was floating 6" or so above the surface perfectly level despite being so full of water it looked like it should have sank. that's what the flotation "pods" are designed by the manufacturer to do. they float the hull level so it can be salvaged. that's why they put the flotation mid, fore, & aft. or in the case of boston whaler, throughout between the floor & hull bottom.

i do plan to add flotation, i have closed cell foam in a can from west marine with which i could fill rear pods if i deck the transom to rear bench reinforment. & i'm already going to put foamboard under the flooring

Floats Pods

Attachments

• Pods-Main.jpg
    Pods-Main.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 504
  • mediumpods.jpg
    mediumpods.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 504
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    352.8 KB · Views: 504
Edit: What he said ^
He's talking about pods or float boxes that mount on the outside of the transom, on either side of the motor, they add buoyancy to the rear of the boat at rest but don't interfere with planing. Google "float pods" or "step pods", should give you the general idea

its got a lil room on each side lol i think that might be the best solution if you were dead set on that motor. id sell it and get a 2 smoke 35 hp to save valuable weight imho

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Flotation pods aren't going to help. Were would he put them? The motor is wider than the transom.
The motor is big on the top end, it has a typical size lower unit for other motors close to it in hp.

JMichael said:
RiverBottomOutdoors said:
Flotation pods aren't going to help. Were would he put them? The motor is wider than the transom.
The motor is big on the top end, it has a typical size lower unit for other motors close to it in hp.

Have to factor in the travel of the motor from side to side when turning. It has to fit between those pods.

after seeing this 17' with a 125hp:

photobucket-9774-1325433482601.jpg

i'm not worried at all! lol

thanks for the education y'all, i didn't know those steps were called flotation pods.