What is a Jon Boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
Don't laugh. At least 3/4s of the boats I see listed as a Jon have a V hull of some sort. For it to be Jon, I thought the front had to be squared off. Am I wrong?

I'm with the traditional jon boat having a flat bottom and squared off front. An overall rectangular shape.

I have a 1648 Mod-V Jon, that has a pointed front and a shallow deadrise. The G3 CCJ has a pointed front, but flat bottom. It is still a Jon Boat.

When looking at used boats, I see allot of people calling any small alum boat a Jon Boat. Many were what I call a Semi-V boat. A sharp, deep angle hull at the bow that tapers out to a flat or near flat at transom. Ie the tradional row boat.

I suspect the definition has drifted over time to accommodate colloquial speak as well as hybrid constructions...
..but..

In my world, It's either a jon or a v-hull based solely on construction.
(both being "utility" boats - which speaks more to function than construction)

The v-hull being constructed of two definite panels in the bow seamed together in a centered keel. The keel reaching all the way up to the bow's peak.
The jon being constructed of a flat bottom reaching full length of the waterline - necessarily creating a squared bow.
The flat bottom being key allowing a jon to ride over a wave (while the v-hull cuts through a wave) giving the jon the ability to reach more shallow waters.

I thought maybe it would be worth seeing if there are any "authoritative" definitions online. Not really. Of the dozens I looked through, all said small and flat bottomed. Most said lightweight. Some (about half, give or take) said square bow and stern. Fewer said specifically aluminum, others said usually aluminum but other materials too, and a few (that seemed to be trying to be comprehensive) said aluminum, fiberglass, wood, or polyethylene. A very few talked about them riding over waves rather than cutting through them.
For what it's worth, I'd say the vast majority of these are no more authoritative than the people posting here, but it was worth seeing if there was anything.

I agree, many people don’t know boats types so every small boat is a “Jon” boat to them.

There is a local ad on FB for a “Joan” boat. Guess a fisherwoman is selling it…
I was just looking for the ad and found another ad for a “John” boat. Perhaps the John and Joan boat will hook up an have a little Johnny boat.

Last edited:
Us older guys understand the square nose idea, but the younger generation has accepted the flat bottom idea. Just shows how little information is being passed down to the younger generation now a days !!

In my lay opinion, a Jon boat is a small aluminum flat bottomed hulled boat with a squared off bow. Plastic ones, while essentially the same, don't qualify IMO. Perhaps a wooden boat will but there just aren't many around to even discuss anymore. If it has a V at the bow, it's not a Jon, if the hull has a deadrise of more than 2 degrees, it's not a Jon boat. That's my take on it all.

And then, there's the (for those who recall the plywood boat kits from Sears-Roebuck) the 8 foot PRAM.
And if the Jon or "V" (usually, but not always with a steering wheel or helm) and smells like salt water, it's a skiff.

For what it's worth, I've done VERY, VERY well, looking for typos when searching for my next project boat. "John" has served me well, now I'm going to start looking for "Joan" too.

Typos often get zero attention, as they don't show up in searches. I've found awesome deals, and people often tell me that I'm the only one who has shown interest.

Latest posts