Adding Gunnel Track to Inside of Gunnel...?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LDUBS said:
wmk0002 said:
I have thought about adding a t-track too but my boat has the basic round gunnels most jon boats have. I haven't devoted too much time to researching what others have done but figured there must be a way to either heat and bend a standard t-track to match the boats contours or to install it in sections.

Anyone have any insight as to how boat manufacturers do it for a new hull where it's a standard feature?

Insight? No. Wild guess? yes! Maybe a roller bender machine?

Definitely worth a try. I was thinking that it may want to buckle the top and bottom where it's bending a lot and mess up the tracs functionality but I'm probably overthinking it. There is a local fabricator I'm going to get to so some welding work done on mine so I may see if he has some ideas and see if he will try to do some test bends for me if I can get some stock lengths.

wmk0002 said:
LDUBS said:
wmk0002 said:
I have thought about adding a t-track too but my boat has the basic round gunnels most jon boats have. I haven't devoted too much time to researching what others have done but figured there must be a way to either heat and bend a standard t-track to match the boats contours or to install it in sections.

Anyone have any insight as to how boat manufacturers do it for a new hull where it's a standard feature?

Insight? No. Wild guess? yes! Maybe a roller bender machine?

Definitely worth a try. I was thinking that it may want to buckle the top and bottom where it's bending a lot and mess up the tracs functionality but I'm probably overthinking it. There is a local fabricator I'm going to get to so some welding work done on mine so I may see if he has some ideas and see if he will try to do some test bends for me if I can get some stock lengths.

IDK, maybe a long sweeping curve is doable. I hope you come back and let us know what your fabricator thinks.

You know sometimes I stray off the path with wacky ideas. I'm thinking someone could get some 3/16' or 1/4" alum bar stock and bend a pair to match the sweep of the gunnel. Then just mount them parallel to each other with a connection to the hull or gunner every 6" or so. Of course would need some kind of spacer at every connection so they would stand off enough to allow a bolt head or fixture. It would be kind of tedious, but Viola! Custom T-track!

So I purchased the railblaza pontoon square rail mount. It is made for 1 1/8" - 1 1/4" square rails. My gunnel is 1 3/8" square. Interior side of my gunnel is the side of the boat so it is not a complete square as in a pontoon rail.

I used my bench grinder to take down the plastic on areas that needed it for fitment. It worked! It fits securely and is a clean install. No holes drilled and can be placed anywhere along gunnel...bow to stern.

What I learned:

The bench grinder does remove plastic quickly....too quickly. It melted the plastic. Some the areas are not flat due to rounded nature of grinding wheel. I cleaned it up with Dremel rotary tool.

Next time I will use the Dremel tool start to finish. Better control and should avoid melted plastic.

NOTE: I did clean up the edges where you can see the melted plastic.

Click on pics to see them as intended....

Attachments

• IMG_3462.jpeg
    IMG_3462.jpeg
    78.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3463.jpeg
    IMG_3463.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3464.jpeg
    IMG_3464.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3465.jpeg
    IMG_3465.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_3466.jpeg
    IMG_3466.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 105
Nice job on the track system.

The Railblazer track system is interesting. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like they have any Scotty compatible bases. I use Scotty on my other boats and have collected more Scotty rod holders and accessories than needed. Anyway, I won’t be throwing an odd ball base into the mix at this point.

Even thought of this idea since my gunnel is square but a little larger than the specs of this one. This one would have to be enlarged, if possible, to fit....
Doesn't your Tracker Pro Guide have a rail system for mounting things?