Can a battery be too high in a boat??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03sp500

Reaction score
Ok stupid newbie question coming at ya.

I am adding a Trolling motor to my 14 foot sea nymph. I want to put the battery (group 27) in the bow to offset the my fat A$$ when im out solo. I am also at the same time adding a small compartment to the front of the boat for the battery and some dry storage area. to keep the battery up in the very front the only way I can find that it will fit because of the angle of the bow is on a shelf in the compartment which is about 4 inches off the floor of the boat. these are the mock ups. The question is would the battery being off the floor cause any handling problems, like plowing in turns or anything else? these are just mock ups to see what it looks like any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys

having it off the floor will not be a problem just be sure to secure it to the floor of the shelf you don't want it bouncing around while running

the shelf looks good

Really looks nice, but how much foot-space are you giving up? Looks from image like it might get pretty tight up front.

Thanks everyone I didn't think it would be a bad thing but just wanted more minds looking at it.

Kismet it does cut some space out but I have 15 inches from the edge of the seat to the front of the wall of the cabinet that will be there. so It should be ok. Plus I ride in the back and have the whole ctr section to fish from. Front seat rider will have a little area but I think it will be ok, there is another large section behind the front seat as well.

Thanks all for the compliments on the mock up. I will update the post when its done.

I dont' think it will be an issue having the batter that high, I had a deck on the back of my old boat about the same height in the front and the battery was stored under the seat pedestal. I never had a problem with it.

I often thought about doing a similar mod. I already have a covered bow, so I would need to construct a shelf underneath. Would love to see pics as you progress with your mod. Thanks for sharing.

I have a 14' V and have thought of placing the battery up front for weight. I have a heavy tiller motor and I am not too skinny either. The biggest problem I have is choppy water shakes the battery up like a can of soda and does not seem like it will ride well up front. If I get a gel cell or agm battery, I might revisit this. Just my 2 cents.
Good luck.

I have been pondering a battery relocate project. I like your design. A lot better than anything I have come up with.

Can you post a close-up picture of those rod holders, please? A friend of mine just bought a tinboat that we are going to mod and we're looking at rod holder ideas. Those look they might be just the thing.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345126#p345126 said:
HOUSE » 16 Mar 2014, 19:41[/url]"]Can you post a close-up picture of those rod holders, please? A friend of mine just bought a tinboat that we are going to mod and we're looking at rod holder ideas. Those look they might be just the thing.

I got some pics at home I'll try top post tonight after work.