front deck framing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick k

Reaction score
I know there's probably a lot of posts about this but I can't seem to find any. I have a 70's Starcraft 14 foot Superduty that I would like to add a front deck from the front seat to the tip of the boat. How do you support the front of the framework at the tip of the bow? Could somebody direct me to some posts that would show this? Thank you in advance. Rick (new member)

Hi Rick, welcome aboard!

On my 14’ Mirrocraft I used 3/4” plywood with a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 Board screwed/glued to the rearmost part for extra support.

This is sturdy enough to hold my voluptuous self without flexing and gives the screws a lil extra to bite into.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to cut a brace to fit in the groove that runs the length of the boat on both sides at the front of the bow and then run two braces from the seat to it and cover it with 3/4 inch plywood. Hoping that will work out. Thanks again.

Here's a couple photo's of how I did mine without punching any holes in the hull. I laid this into the front section and riveted an L bracket to the front seat and a screw into the wood to keep it from moving. Then slid the deck ontop of the old bench brackets.

REVAMPBOW.jpg
bow.png

rick k said:
Thanks for the reply. I am going to cut a brace to fit in the groove that runs the length of the boat on both sides at the front of the bow and then run two braces from the seat to it and cover it with 3/4 inch plywood. Hoping that will work out. Thanks again.

Found a pic of my deck.

file.php

FWIW I've just pop-riveted high sheer (1/4") aluminum angle or 'L'-channel to the sides up front, using 1/4" rivets. Could even use SS fasteners, insulating the SS fasteners from the tin. Done, simple ...

Ahh sorry I believe I misunderstood! I also put a small deck on mine just out of aluminum and bolted it straight to the gunwhales! Added a good amount of stability to my boat.

Good luck on the project!