lights for my bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
i know there are some legality issues with using lights mounted to your bow, but i'd like to get some for my 1542.

i don't want to spend very much, and heard you can use baja style automotive lights. which kind should i try to find at the auto parts store?

My son uses the Baja style on his boat. Keep in mind that the things require a lot of power. You'll need a good battery. If I was going to do it I would try to find led spot lights. Led's are going to cost more. I guess it depends on how long they need to be on.

I bought a set of 55watt light at walmart. I use them when duck hunting.

Check out this site https://www.oznium.com/marine-led-lighting, I bought some for my boat nav and floor lights that work great, and it looks like they have affordable spot/flood lights too (if you can figure out how to mount them).

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320203#p320203 said:
yareelohim » Today, 20:44[/url]"]What are the legal issues?
Many states prohibit or severely restrict the use of any outward lighting except the anchor and navigation lights. Typically the restriction allows use for docking or maneuvering around a marked hazard to navigation. The issue is that careless use of high candlepower lights can confuse or blind other operators.

+1. The only lights you should have on your bow are red/green navigation lights. Boats are not cars. They don't have head lights, blinkers, or break lights. In fact, using "headlights" is quite dangerous not only for yourself, but others on the water, not to mention the legal violations you may run into. Instead, you should allow your eyes to adjust to any night time conditions. If you must use some light in the boat, use red to prevent strain on your eyes and so as not to disturb anyone else on the water.

"The only lights you should have on your bow are red/green navigation lights. Boats are not cars. They don't have head lights, blinkers, or break lights. In fact, using "headlights" is quite dangerous not only for yourself, but others on the water, not to mention the legal violations you may run into. Instead, you should allow your eyes to adjust to any night time conditions. If you must use some light in the boat, use red to prevent strain on your eyes and so as not to disturb anyone else on the water."

I run on the lower Mississippi, and early morning/late evening runs without a light is not possible. floating debris as big or bigger than your boat (as in whole trees caved off the bank) is commonplace. So this idea of allowing your eyes to adjust isn't just silly, it's dangerous advice.

Fixed mount lights aren't the best answer as they are subject to the angle of your bow. A handheld spotlight or console mounted spotlight can be aimed precisely where you are heading. The console mounting helps avoid arm strain. I like rechargeable LED lights as they are cheap, bright, and last, though I also have a 12v outlet to use for lighting or recharging as well.

Unless you are running very close to shore or on a body of water with lots of exposed obstacles, you'll find that "headlights" are pretty much worthless on the water.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320259#p320259 said:
Quackrstackr » 28 minutes ago[/url]"]Unless you are running very close to shore or on a body of water with lots of exposed obstacles, you'll find that "headlights" are pretty much worthless on the water.
Your right on there. They only somewhat work depending on what angle the boat is. That angle changes depending on the speed. Bugs love those lights too and sometimes add to the frustration of not being able to see.

Why do so many duck boats come with head lights if they are illegal? I'm in California and it seems like every duck boat has head lights. Where could I find the law code on this for California?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320344#p320344 said:
yareelohim » 46 minutes ago[/url]"]Why do so many duck boats come with head lights if they are illegal? I'm in California and it seems like every duck boat has head lights. Where could I find the law code on this for California?
Hey, California has regulations for everything. Try a marine dealer, DFW, marine board, or just ask Mr. Google. I'll bet there is even a required boaters' course.

rickybobbybend said:
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320344#p320344 said:
yareelohim » 46 minutes ago[/url]"]Why do so many duck boats come with head lights if they are illegal? I'm in California and it seems like every duck boat has head lights. Where could I find the law code on this for California?
Hey, California has regulations for everything. Try a marine dealer, DFW, marine board, or just ask Mr. Google. I'll bet there is even a required boaters' course.

Thanks for the references.

I checked as much as I could and there seems to be no laws stating what most say here concerning headlights, at least not in California.

If someone has a law they can quote, that would be much appreciated. Virtually every duck boat I see in California runs head lights.

The only restriction I found was:
1) cannot obscure vision of other boaters.

2) cannot cause the Nav lights to be mistaken or obscured.

I suppose our duck hunters use lights because we like to go out when there is no moon and pitch black on the water.

Again, if someone can quote a law instead of hearsay or opinion, that would be great! If your a person who says its illegal, please send me the legal code where it states that.

I don't want to be cited if its illegal.

Thanks!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320246#p320246 said:
kfa4303 » Yesterday, 10:18 am[/url]"]+1. The only lights you should have on your bow are red/green navigation lights. Boats are not cars. They don't have head lights, blinkers, or break lights. In fact, using "headlights" is quite dangerous not only for yourself, but others on the water, not to mention the legal violations you may run into. Instead, you should allow your eyes to adjust to any night time conditions. If you must use some light in the boat, use red to prevent strain on your eyes and so as not to disturb anyone else on the water.

Guessing you've never ran a river at night...

I have one of the stanchion mounted Go Lights with the remote that I use at night. It works fairly well, but I supplement it with a 3 million candle spotlight with things get hairy.

Not true. Born in raise in FL, so I've spent a little time on the water. Again, boats are NOT cars. With very few exception "headlights" on boats are not only virtually useless, but they're also quite dangerous. They actually blind on coming boaters, make it difficult for others to see your red/green nav lights and they actually decrease your night vision. Why do you think pilots and the military only use redlight in their nighttime operations? The fact that others may have them doesn't make right, proper, or legal. As far as the river, if you're regularly on water with floating obstacles as large, or larger than your boat, you need a bigger boat. Don't believe me? Ask anyone you know who works on the water for living what type of "headlights" they use. After they stop laughing at your, they'll tell you the same thing I have.

Hard mounted fixed headlights on a boat for normal navigation are "as useless as tits on a boar hog", to quote a saying my grandfather used often. The only time they would be of any use for navigation would be extremely small bodies of water or running flooded timber in a backwater situation. The attitude of the bow of a boat between idle speed and on plane causes a huge point of aim difference, not to mention that if there aren't objects closeby for the light to reflect off of, you will only see water illumination about 10 feet around your boat (or less).

Setting decoys, loading/unloading, docking, navigating backwater or small channels... those would be a good use of a stationary headlights. Otherwise, the brightest spotlight that you can afford would be a better source of light.

I average 40+ nights per year in a boat and have for over 20 years.

Fixed lights are great if you run at a given speed for a duration of time - like 20 miles on plane or 2 miles at idle. I don't know anyone who uses fixed lights exclusively. Most supplement with a handheld spotlight. Doesn't matter if you use a handheld or a fixed light....you turn it off when approaching another boat....duh.

I'd love to see your night vision on a new moon night in a river that is only about 30 yds wide, gets as shallow as 2 inches, with rocks and logs as hard as rocks. Or, some of the other waters I fish after torrential rains bring 5,000 lb logs down stream.

I run shallow water with rocks and logs. A "bigger" boat wouldn't make it off the trailer at the ramp. Not everyone fishes the same water types as you. So, what seems like a stupid idea to you, makes absolute sense to me based on my needs.

This is what happens running at night WITH lights....you won't make it out without them, even someone who's fished their entire life in FL.
all_fixed.jpg

i use my quark light for spot light / headlight use on my boat

best $60 i ever spent (but it looks like they're up to $75 now...)

bought it from here: https://www.foursevens.com/products/QB2L-AE

pic_quarkturbo-qb2l-lg.jpg

i probably burn through 4 sets of batteries in a duck season. any time i go out camping or hunting or whatever, this light & a spare set of batteries go with me. i like that it's small & fits in my pocket, and has adjustable brightness. the max output setting is so bright, it dwarfs my Q-beam spotlight, and the lowest output setting is so dim you can use it & not be seen by others. i just click it on to see ahead of me then click it off, it helps me keep my bearings & not run aground or into any trees & whatnot

these lights are comparable to surefire, streamlight, etc, except @ a much better price, plus they're made right here in the good ole USA state of Georgia. now they do use chinese LEDs, but so does every other flashlight manufacturer out there...

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320392#p320392 said:
chevyrulz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:47 pm[/url]"]now they do use chinese LEDs, but so does every other flashlight manufacturer out there...

If I'm not mistaken, Cree (LED chip manufacturer) is located in NC. I don't guess that means that they are actually manufactured here, though.