Lithium Battery Question - 50AH LiFeP04 for a 55# thrust Minn Kota?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update on my Epoch 50AH in my 1436 Jon. I have an Edge 45 trolling motor. I have fished over six hour and still show 80% remaining capacity. My speed on forward 1 is almost too fast for me now. Forward 5 is very fast. Losing 40+ pounds and hiding the battery under the casting deck has been a win.

I've had the 24volt 50ah in my cart for a while now. I just can't pull the trigger knowing my current batteries are still good! I may just do it to end my misery.

Just an update on my Epoch 50AH in my 1436 Jon. I have an Edge 45 trolling motor. I have fished over six hour and still show 80% remaining capacity. My speed on forward 1 is almost too fast for me now. Forward 5 is very fast. Losing 40+ pounds and hiding the battery under the casting deck has been a win.
Do I understand you are getting more actual speed from your motor with the lifepo4 battery at each speed setting ?? If so, that is great !!! Hadn't heard anyone mention there actual speed was faster !!

Do I understand you are getting more actual speed from your motor with the lifepo4 battery at each speed setting ?? If so, that is great !!! Hadn't heard anyone mention there actual speed was faster !!
I have the same results. With led acid I would use the 3 setting on my Edge 55 most of the time to fish along a shoreline. When I switched to ionic Lith 3 was too fast, cut back to two and now same speed as three setting.

I have the same results. With led acid I would use the 3 setting on my Edge 55 most of the time to fish along a shoreline. When I switched to ionic Lith 3 was too fast, cut back to two and now same speed as three setting.

This is really good stuff. I would have missed this had @airshot not circled back around.

I've had the 24volt 50ah in my cart for a while now. I just can't pull the trigger knowing my current batteries are still good! I may just do it to end my misery.
Wait on it. Lithium batteries are only getting cheaper and cheaper and better and better. Might be able to buy 200ahr for the same price as 100 now in a few years.

Has anyone measured how much there top speed improved just by switching to a lifepo4 type battery ??
Well my assumption would be the reason for the added speed on tm would be the same reason I gained 2.5 mph using my 9.9. I lost 148 lbs in batteries. I have not measured tm speed but making the boat that much lighter has to add speed. So with that in mind, speed gain might depend on weight loss gain.

You will get a better top speed on any setting
Because your DRAFT is less..
Because of the weight difference.
I replaced 3 27 group batteries
Each weighed 60 lbs
Put the weize lifepo4 on the precision scale
12 lbs each..
I bought the WEIZE 50 ah
They have been in the battery business a long time…
And the were less money
And probably better built than some of the new guys who just jumped on the band wagon.

I have a Terrova 24 volt and some places are saying that I two 100 amp hour,and others two 65 amp hours. And at roughly $800 each or more, I'm very leery of dropping that kind of money. But I did get a 12 volt 33 amp hour lifepo for my electronics at$249.99 and I consider that a good deal. Some places are just trying to get as much money as they can before the prices start to drop significantly.

Draft is part of the reason but not all. The other reason you're getting more speed is theLiFePO4 is higher rest voltage and has less voltage drop under load. The graph below is for 48V, but it looks the same for 12, 24 or whatever, just at different scale. Higher voltage = higher speed. (Note: This graph isn't created from actual data but is rather a representation of the difference. There's a lot of nuance that isn't covered but that doesn't matter for this discussion and if you're a big enough geek to care you probably either know already or have gone to look it up yourself.)Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 5.08.16 AM.png

Wait on it. Lithium batteries are only getting cheaper and cheaper and better and better. Might be able to buy 200ahr for the same price as 100 now in a .

Wait on it. Lithium batteries are only getting cheaper and cheaper and better and better. Might be able to buy 200ahr for the same price as 100 now in a few years.
Yeah I keep telling myself that, just like it is with electronics. I did find the Roypow 24v 50ah on sale for $399 (regular $599) and I ordered it but they removed the discount code from my cart and I tried to call them and no one answered. This was a place called the official Roypow store. I called the factory in Texas to see if that was a legitimate retailer and it said no one is available to take my call. I finally got someone to answer when i selected the billing option but she gave me an email address and I never got a response. The official Roypow store respond later by email but i had already canceled the order. I just got a funny feeling that the customer service might be an issue. I know Epoch has Roypow stamped on the battery case but from what I've read the customer service is good.

Last edited:
I'm still burning up my wet cells but I'd love to have my 36v Ulterra powered by lithium. It's just too expensive for me right now but I'd love the performance boost and weight savings. When I do I will definitely be buying with Jeff from Amped Outdoors. He helped me when I built a battery box for powering my ice house. Between my 3 group 31's for the troller and my 2 house batteries I am probably at almost 400lbs in batteries and on board chargers alone.

I have been told the battery meter built in the head of an electric motor and standard lead acid battery meters will not work with this battery. What battery meter are you using.