Lithium Battery Question - 50AH LiFeP04 for a 55# thrust Minn Kota?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right about that, Sonny.

I just looked at some other videos, and some other batteries don't smoke when short circuited, so I take back what I said before. I'll have to go back and edit or delete my previous comments.

This has been a great informative thread for those interested in Lithium batts for our TMs.

I am now considering Epoch, TimeUSB, and VMAX.

I'll be running a MK Terrova 24V, 80# TM that states 56amp max draw. Tracker 16' SC (60hp) with common on board gear, troll with 1-3 people aboard, at 2mph, for approx 6 hours total through out day.

For those running 24V/80# TM....are you going with (2) 12V/50AH; (2) 12/100AH, or (1) 24V/100ah?
What made you decide on your decision?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of these configurations?

Thanks!

The max. draw listed for the TM is not the normal working load draw you will see in use. It’s going to be much lower. That 56amp number is if you are on full max. power and your prop gets caught up in the weeds. It will draw that momentarily……..and your circuit breaker or fuse will trip. My xi3 listed amps as 52. My circuit breaker to the TM is only 50 amps. It has never tripped……..

My results from this morning show that at max speed setting under a good load my 55lb drew 10 percent of the battery (6.5 amps) in about 30 minutes. That would make that draw 13 amps and not 52 as listed in the specs.

Moral of the story……you don’t need 56 amps per hour of run time.

Another LifePO4 battery to consider is LiTime, previously called Ampertime. They have Grade A cells and are UL certified. I watched a few videos from solar enthusiasts that do not accept free products for review and they were impressed with the construction and electrical characteristics of the BMS. They also have the mini footprint if space is a problem. I've been using an Ampertime for about a year and no problems so far. Not the cheapest, but fairly inexpensive.

This has been a great informative thread for those interested in Lithium batts for our TMs.

I am now considering Epoch, TimeUSB, and VMAX.

I'll be running a MK Terrova 24V, 80# TM that states 56amp max draw. Tracker 16' SC (60hp) with common on board gear, troll with 1-3 people aboard, at 2mph, for approx 6 hours total through out day.

For those running 24V/80# TM....are you going with (2) 12V/50AH; (2) 12/100AH, or (1) 24V/100ah?
What made you decide on your decision?
What are the advantages/disadvantages of these configurations?

Thanks!
While I’m years away from needing to replace the two lead-acid batteries that power our Xi3, it will be with two 100ah 12v LiPoFe ones.

I think the 50ah is borderline for our full day fishing outings. Unlike the LA batteries, the Li BMS will shut-off vs just weak performance. Also, if over night charging is not available, can go most of the second day.

It is my understanding that you don’t want to expose them to freezing temps. So, for our early spring and late fall fishing will have to remove/install them. Handling the two 12v would be easier than a large 24v one. They physically fit our console config, vs rearranging for the 24v. Also current charger can do 12V Li, vs buying a new charger.

The 50lb weight savings will be welcome in the jet boat. Anyway, some of my rationale that may/may not apply to you.

Another LifePO4 battery to consider is LiTime, previously called Ampertime. They have Grade A cells and are UL certified. I watched a few videos from solar enthusiasts that do not accept free products for review and they were impressed with the construction and electrical characteristics of the BMS. They also have the mini footprint if space is a problem. I've been using an Ampertime for about a year and no problems so far. Not the cheapest, but fairly inexpensive.
I see LiTime just came out with a new 12v 100ah TM battery specifically for trolling motors. Upgraded BMS, extra vibration protection. Moisture proof case they claim and low temp shutoff. I would consider them if they had a 24v 50ah.

Last edited:
While I’m years away from needing to replace the two lead-acid batteries that power our Xi3, it will be with two 100ah 12v LiPoFe ones.

I think the 50ah is borderline for our full day fishing outings. Unlike the LA batteries, the Li BMS will shut-off vs just weak performance. Also, if over night charging is not available, can go most of the second day.

It is my understanding that you don’t want to expose them to freezing temps. So, for our early spring and late fall fishing will have to remove/install them. Handling the two 12v would be easier than a large 24v one. They physically fit our console config, vs rearranging for the 24v. Also current charger can do 12V Li, vs buying a new charger.

The 50lb weight savings will be welcome in the jet boat. Anyway, some of my rationale that may/may not apply to you.
Some can operate down to 0 degrees F. It’s the charging you don’t want to do while below 32 degrees f. More updated features actually include battery warners on board…….

Some thing I haven't heard about is warranty claims.....all these ten and eleven year warranties sound good, but has anyone actually researched about how easy/ difficult it is to get a warranty claim ? Another idea would be the number of returns per hundred sold or something like that. What good is a ten year warranty if there is no place to return it...has anyone checked the shipping costs to return one of these lipo batteries ?

Some thing I haven't heard about is warranty claims.....all these ten and eleven year warranties sound good, but has anyone actually researched about how easy/ difficult it is to get a warranty claim ? Another idea would be the number of returns per hundred sold or something like that. What good is a ten year warranty if there is no place to return it...has anyone checked the shipping costs to return one of these lipo batteries ?

Good catch. I hadn't thought of that. It would be another reason to go with a well established brand.

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the TimeUSB 100AH battery:
https://www.amazon.com/Timeusb-LiFePO4-Lifetime-Off-grid-Applications/dp/B0BBZL5BPR/
It has some really good reviews and was only $279 shipped, which is less than many of the 50AH batteries. If it works great for my 55# Riptide, I'll buy a second one to use on my bigger boat with a 24V motor.

Supposed to arrive next Wednesday. I'm looking forward to some long-lasting power on the water.

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the TimeUSB 100AH battery:
https://www.amazon.com/Timeusb-LiFePO4-Lifetime-Off-grid-Applications/dp/B0BBZL5BPR/
It has some really good reviews and was only $279 shipped, which is less than many of the 50AH batteries. If it works great for my 55# Riptide, I'll buy a second one to use on my bigger boat with a 24V motor.

Supposed to arrive next Wednesday. I'm looking forward to some long-lasting power on the water.

Good man! I wanted a 100ah battery, but couldn't justify the cost with my TM only tinny...for now. lol

Keep up posted on how it works out. (y)

Epoch has a no-hassle 36 month warranty. Need to use their charger and register it on their website as soon as you take delivery though. I don't have Li-on charger anyway, so it worked out. 🤪

Pro-rated after the 36th month for 11 yrs. I figger if I actually take care of the battery and use it, I expect 5 years out of it at basically full tilt. After the 5 years, if I get 80% for another 5 years; for $377 all-in, I'll call that a win. lol

It's my opinion the warranty is all about marketing. In 5 years the technology would have changed drastically, as well as price decreases. We're seeing it now, but will accelerate. I saw a recent announcement Toyota is developing a solid state battery for cars than can re-charge in 10 minutes and will allow a range of more than 700 miles. Production isn't scheduled until 2027. This is just one example of the changes.

Some can operate down to 0 degrees F. It’s the charging you don’t want to do while below 32 degrees f. More updated features actually include battery warners on board…….
So the ones with heater pads come on when below 32 degrees while charging or running? But not otherwise?

So the ones with heater pads come on when below 32 degrees while charging or running? But not otherwise?
From what I gathered, just for charging. They were talking about it in the realm of ice fishing. That it would run out on the ice in frigid temps, but in order to charge it, the battery needed to be heated.

I just hope my battery lasts as long as they are supposed to. If it makes it 6 years of solid performance, I'll be happy.
I normally kill an AGM in about 5 years…If my Lithium last that long, at the current pricing, worst case is breaking even but with reduced weight and faster charging. Still sounds good to me.

I just hope my battery lasts as long as they are supposed to. If it makes it 6 years of solid performance, I'll be happy.
I think that as long as you follow proper charging practices and keep it from freezing that you'll be happy. I still kept a relay on my setup since the battery can provide a lot more amps than the TM motor can take. Good luck!