My winter project...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Brightside Interlux which is a Polyurethane... I sprayed it on in 3 thin coats and it worked awesome, but I used zinc chromate as the base primer after etching the boat up a little bit. I've scratched it up pretty good on the bottom because of all the rocks where I fish, but it's holding up well everywhere else.

On the inside I use spray cans of paint in a metallic black. I was going to spray it too, but I got a head of myself and started installing decking with carpet before I realized what I was doing. It looks good and I only put one coat on... it hasn't started scratching or peeling yet, it's pretty durable.

You can see the process I used HERE

got the frame all done for the front deck and roughed up for the rear. The rear is on hold for the moment until I can convince santa to let me have my gas tank early so I can figure out how everything will sit back there... but here are the pics of the front....

all the pieces of the puzzle after being sealed sitting in my kitchen as the temp was sub freezing last night, and yes, I went to bed with a nice head ache because of it...
n1253654379_199697_475.jpg

All put together...
n1253654379_199698_2290.jpg

n1253654379_199699_3902.jpg

n1253654379_199700_5565.jpg

n1253654379_199701_7398.jpg

very awsome. ive been pondering on how to cut my seats out and deck the hole thing but still keep the rigity of the boat. im sorry, but i beleave im going to copy you :mrgreen:

The storage containers are the bottom parts of the old bench seats that housed the safety foam. The idea came to me out of nowhere, like the stereo-typical image of the light-bulb going off in my head. I was just happy that i didnt have to build more stuff out of wood. The back storage bin isn't gonna happen now though as the gas tank ended up being bigger than expected. Instead, the tank will be under the back deck off to the left of the driver in front of the livewell and bilge. Then, on top of the deck above the gas tank will be a section angled up to the gunwale where all my switches, gps, and fish finder will be. Behind the driver will be a hatch for the rear anchor and should be enough room for the 2 life jackets and throwable. Then I was thinking maybe putting some kind of drawer style storage under the drivers seat... funny how much a plan changes as the project progresses. I'll get a kick out of the comparison of my original concept drawing next to the final image when its all said and done.

but i beleave im going to copy you
haha, thats always nice to hear! :mrgreen: . So far the frame seems to be sound. I've gotten up and walked around on it and it feels solid. There are a few spots where some posts dont quite hit the floor (like 1/16th inch) but when you stand on it theres enough flex so it will meet the floor and help distribute some weight. The only thing Im slightly concerned about is the possibility of it vibrating and rattling like an SOB when the OB is running. We'll see [-o< ...

Next step I think is to get the pvc tubing for the rod storage set up under the front deck along with any plumbing/ wiring... I decided to dump the toilet flusher idea b/c it sat too low under the deck, instead, i will run some tubing into the hole thats now there and y connect it down with the drain tubing so it acts as a spill hole incase I forget to shut off the pump :oops:

I'll try and keep the pics coming!!!

Was looking over your pics and thread....I noticed one thing that'll you'll def want to fix if you haven't already thought of it. On your "Livewell/Cooler" the black hose...make sure you can empty it out enough that you don't have freezing problems in the winter. Hate to see you have to tear up your decking to fix a cracked hose.

JON

Well it has been a while since I've updated the thread [-X ... my apologies. My digital camera continues to act funny and I haven't been able to get any pictures of my progress :evil: . I havent done all that much anyways. I have the floor and side panels cut and in place along with the rear deck. I am at sort of a stand still right now as Im not sure where I want to go from here. I need to get the electrical done before anything else, however Im not sure how I want to approach a console with my switches and mounts for the GPS and Fish Finder. I'm leaning toward mounting everything to the side pannel on the right, we'll see what happens. I may have to go to the shop and just sit there and stare at it for an hour until it comes to me.:roll:. In the mean time, I drew up a wiring diagram for everything. Im no electrician so maybe someone could give me a heads up of any mistakes or problems I'll run into if I go this rout (such as can I daisy chain the lights like that? or do i have to wire each one individually?). let me know what you think.

n1253654379_236347_3943.jpg

Also, Im considering using a second battery (small lawn mower type) solely for the electronics and leaving the big one just for the TM. Wise move? or would it not really be necessary? The only thing i see running the whole time is the fish finder, well I guess the lights too if Im having a hard time removing myself from the lake on a nice summer evening... would one of those lawn mower batteries be enough to run some electronics? or would I have to get a whole other full size battery? (they're just so **** heavy!)

A smaller battery would be helpful to run electronics and lights.I'm not sure I'd go with a lawn tractor battery,unless it's a larger one with a high amp hour rating.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with a small lawnmower battery.
There small and I wouldn't have to worry about any interferance on the screen doing it that way.I'm pretty sure there would be way more then enough power to run a fishfinder,they only draw about a quater amp,tops.
A reason you might want to think of another "big" battery,is because if your other battery gets weak you can use the other battery to run your trolling motor or even start your outboard in a pinch.
Nice job on the electrical diagram,I'm no electrician either.Thats why I have this question,is there a way for just your stern(all around)light,to go on by itself?I probably just don't understand the diagram.

How come I can't get the words on paper that are in my head.

No the stern light is in circuit with bow/nav lights controlled with one switch. the switches have 3 prongs on them (think except two): positive negative and load. I think because they have little led lights in them. Im gonna use the lights in the other circuit as my general purpose, lookin around for stuff / tying knots lights.

Although I've never fished at night,around here at night when anchored there has to be an all around(stern)light on.I'm not sure of the regulations where you are at.So they wire the bow/stern lights like this to do it:navLampsGeneric635x494.png

Theres other switches out there as well,maybe where your at it is not needed?
Think of the 2 sidelights as your bow and the all around is the stern.

im pretty sure, in ma at least, youre always supposed to have both running- that way it makes it easier for other boaters to know which direction your boat is facing, thats why I put them both on the same circuit/switch.

I got some pictures today using the girlfriend's camera. I'll post em tomorrow, its past my bed time tonight. :wink:

White one is called anchor light. It is to be on whenever the boat is in the water at night. The bow one is the nav light. It is to be on supposedly only when underway, as nobody needs to know what way you face when anchored. However, it really matters not whether the bow one is on or off while at rest.

Latest posts