My winter project...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DryFlyRy said:
Im no electrician so maybe someone could give me a heads up of any mistakes or problems I'll run into if I go this rout (such as can I daisy chain the lights like that? or do i have to wire each one individually?). let me know what you think.

My drawing isn't as pretty as yours, but I think my circuits are sound. Lights should be wired parallel, not in series. Also, I didn't see any fuses in that diagram, if your panel doesn't have any I would add them. For example, if your wiring shorts out on a circuit, even if it doesn't cause any other damage it will melt wiring all the way back to your battery and drain the battery in a hurry if not worse. Here's my corrections:

wiringfb4.jpg

VERY nice! How much weight would yo estimate that you are adding there? I am curious. Looking at something like that, there is no doubt in my mind that it would not be a problem removing a bench seat if you are going to add structure like that.

haha, weight is something im trying hard not to think about. :-$ from all the forums i read on here, it seems like im not going to have to worry about her sinking the first time out. I may sacrifice an mph or two but im not out there to race...

Looking at something like that, there is no doubt in my mind that it would not be a problem removing a bench seat if you are going to add structure like that.
yea, it seems like it would be extremely ridged, the way i saw the whole frame from the first time i saw the boat was through the aluminum bench brackets. the posts just sit on the floor or over the ribs via a notch i cut with a circle saw and just help to take some of the load off. I would assume the brackets are whats taking most of the weight.

Quick electrical question. It was mentioned before about fuses... for what I have set up, what are the appropriate fuses for each of my components? My fish finder's instructional oragami crossword puzzle, err, booklet, :roll: said a 1 amp for that, any idea for the others? where can I get these for inline? not sure if i remember them last time i was at home depot...

To figure the fuse size take the watts and divide by 12 volts= amps, fuse size.

If your running a 7.5 watt navigation light (red/green light on the bow), divide that by 12 = .625 amps, less than one amp fuse. Since your wiring your anchor light ( the white all around light in the stern) into the same circuit as the nav light add the two wattages together and divide by 12 volts (12volt battery, 24 volts if using 2 batteries in series).

Typically your fishfinder is 1 amp, most pumps are 3amps (pumps recommend not using more than 5 amp fuses), and you will have to add up the lights. This is where LED lights come in handy. They draw a fraction of the power of regular light bulbs.

One last thing to consider is the wire, what are your plans on wire size?

PS.
Nice work. I'll be doing something similar to a 14' soon. I will also be using the same Coleman Cooler as my livewell. I've had my cooler for 20 years, time to get a newer model for camping. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info on the fuses, that'll be a big help... I wired everything but the lights, added my carpet to the back deck, floor and side panels and all the hatch doors... Next steps are to finish the electrical, put in those fuses, mount the transducer to the transom, secure the drain/hose in the livewell, make a template for the front deck, transfer the template to wood, carpet the front deck, install pedestal and seat, and then just adding all the finishing touches: rod holders, decals, touch up the paint... So still a ways to go, but I gotta say I'm lovin how things are coming out so far! :lol:

Forogot to add the most important part!!!! :postpics:
:mrgreen:

n1253654379_258581_5057.jpg

n1253654379_258582_6843.jpg

The way the frame was built under the deck, I ended up drilling my holes to mount the seat a little further back then I would have liked, So if I go to swivel to my right I get stopped by the bilge discharge hose. Not too big of a deal, cant really think of y I would want to turn too much in that direction anyway, and i suppose if i did I could always just pull the hose off and stuff it under the deck and just hope I dont have any split second bilge emergencies :roll:
n1253654379_258583_8475.jpg

Misc storage under the back seat. could throw a life jacket or two in there... or a bottle of black berry brandy. :wink:
n1253654379_258584_104.jpg

Rod & oar storage hatches on each side of the livewell underneath the front deck.
n1253654379_258585_2669.jpg

Looking over this thread, the work looks nice, Thee is one thing that I may be overlooking but it appears that no provisions were made to vent the fuel tank area. Shouldn't there be an air in and out to prevent fumes from building up in the enclosure?

i never even gave that any thought :oops: the last thing i would need is a spark from the livewell pump to ignite a wooden box full of gas fumes... anyone else have issues with this?

livewell pumps are brushless and are normally ignition protected. this means they will not be making sparks. but . you do need to vent the fumes.

would a simple hole capped with like a mesh grate suffice? or would I actually need to go as far as putting a 12v fan in there to blown the fumes out?

More Progress - More pictures:

Venting solution: Front of the enclosure - air "in"
n1253654379_263804_1706.jpg

On top - air "out"
n1253654379_263805_4440.jpg

Night lights
n1253654379_263806_6870.jpg

Rear hatch(es) lit up
n1253654379_263807_9551.jpg

Live well lit up
n1253654379_263808_2066.jpg

Front hatch lit up
n1253654379_263809_4844.jpg

Nav nights
n1253654379_263810_7389.jpg

All together now!
n1253654379_263811_144.jpg

Russ, Im getting the images. Dry, That looks fantastic, love the lights and a great idea with the vent.

Looking good! One tip to maybe stay legal. In Texas, a boat like yours is REQUIRED to have a fire extinguisher IF the gas tank is in an enclosed compartment. You may check your state regs if you don't already have an extinguisher on board.

Henry Hefner said:
Looking good! One tip to maybe stay legal. In Texas, a boat like yours is REQUIRED to have a fire extinguisher IF the gas tank is in an enclosed compartment. You may check your state regs if you don't already have an extinguisher on board.
Nope, not a Texas requirement. US Federal requirement.

I thought about a vent like yours when building my rig. Here is why I didn't go with something like that. Fuel fumes are much heavier than air, so they will find their way to the bottom of the hatch, rather quickly, and not really vent out. Instead, what I did is get a piece of cheap .25 inch tubing, and a nylon fitting with threads on one end, and a barb on the other. Unscrew the vent cap in the tank, and thread this in. Then, put your hose on, with a quick release fitting of your choice somewhere past the tank, for easy removal, for filling. Have it vent somewhere away from your enclosure, and just point the end down, so rain can't collect in it.

Latest posts