True flat bottom or modified v?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zseverns

Reaction score
Ok so I have the size down to a 1548 but I'm not sure if I want a Modified V or Flatbottom. Right now I mostly duck hunt with my boat but my son is getting bigger and loves to ride in the boat. Also now that I have a bigger boat (currently have a 1977 loweline1542 Flatbottom) my wife like to ride in it. So the price is about the same but what are some pros and cons of both or is it just personal preference? Both will be setup the same.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,328
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,328
Mod v cuts through any chop better than a flat bottom and also cuts through current a little better. How much better depends on what degree mod v you are looking at. A true flat bottom will draft slightly less and be slightly more stable. I run a 1648 mod v with a 6deg hull and love it. Plenty stable to walk around in without feeling tippy drafts about 6" and handle waves pretty well for a small boat.

Mod v. I have flat and it barrels through the chop.

Definitely the mod "v". Smoother. Drier ride too since it won't bounce quite as bad. Total flat will draft a tiny bit shallower (we're talking maybe at the most 1/4") and will be a tiny bit more stable at rest. Under way, the mod "V" blows it out of the water in all aspects. Flat is cheap to build and that is the main reason they're still made.

Latest posts