Vinyl

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmcscrap

Reaction score
Has anyone used or looked into the old billboard vinyl for use as flooring or as a boat cover?

Something like this:

https://billboardtarps.com/product-category/new-vinyl-tarps/

Thoughts?

Since you asked for thoughts: I wonder if it only comes in black or white. Those might not be the best color choices for a boat floor. Looks like it could be less expensive than boat floor vinyl. It is thinner than boat floor vinyl. They offer it for gym floor covering so it must have some durability.

LDUBS said:
They offer it for gym floor covering so it must have some durability.
Yet is used inside ... I'd worry more about UV damage, even though sold as UV-proof.

Whilst marine vinyl might be a tad more expen$ive (but not by much) it is thicker and has a traction-surface built in for secure footing. And yet it cleans up easily too, plus recall that my rig was 24-years old when sold and it still looked GREAT! Carpet would look like sh#t when that old, LOL!

DaleH said:
LDUBS said:
They offer it for gym floor covering so it must have some durability.
Yet is used inside ... I'd worry more about UV damage, even though sold as UV-proof.

Whilst marine vinyl might be a tad more expen$ive (but not by much) it is thicker and has a traction-surface built in for secure footing. And yet it cleans up easily too, plus recall that my rig was 24-years old when sold and it still looked GREAT! Carpet would look like sh#t when that old, LOL!

I agree totally. I don't really know anything about this product. But I do know my boat floor vinyl has great wear-ability, and is about as maintenance free as it comes.

Jmcscrap said:
What would you recommend for flooring on a small budget?
Deck paint with fine 'beach' sand throw/sifted over the paint while wet ...

A shop vaccum will pick up any excess sand, only after fully cured though and try not to have the nozzle hit the floor (a brush type nozzle works). We do that on fiberglass decks all the time for non-skid, or we add phenolic micro-balloons, but that's an added expen$e you're trying to avoid.

If a wood deck, seal the edge grain really WELL! You might need to top-coat or refresh it every ~3 years or so depending on use/wear.

Latest posts