Tinboats Tournament June 25th-RESULTS post #219 (pg15)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW - I went out and caught 32 fat n juicy crawlers in the rain last night. Added them to the 12-15 or so I had left over and we should have some good gill bait for Saturday. :D

Bringing my underwater ice fishing camera and a pair of Motorola Talkabout T6510 radios. If someone else has a pair of radios we could use them to keep in touch while on the water. More for a safety thing as I'm not sharing my hotspots. :LOL2:

Popeye said:
Mini mites with an added waxie for gills. Crawlers on a crawler harness for Walleyes

Thought I was the only one to use Mini-Mites. :mrgreen:

Will,
Yep, plenty of camping.

Camping | Campground MAP
There are 17 Class AA campsites, 286 Class A campsites and 5 Class B/S campsites at Clinton Lake with showers and almost all are adaptable to either tents, trailers or motor homes. Each site is equipped with a grill and picnic table. Reservations will be accepted using the Reserve America website starting July 7th, 2010. All of camping loops H, I, J and K are alcohol free. The wooded area along the lake provides the perfect setting to turn in after a long day of fun. A group camp area for adults or youth groups has room for 75. It provides a secluded wooded setting and has a large shelter with electricity, three RV pads with electrical hookups, toilets, tables, grills and water there are no shower facilities at the group camp area. Portions of the Class AA, A & Class B/S and the group camp are wheelchair accessible. Please reserve the group campground ahead of time by contacting the park office. The shower buildings are closed by November 1st (may be earlier if bad weather) and reopen May 1st (may be earlier - weather depending).

https://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt/parks/R3/cll/CLL_campmap2011.pdf

Hanr3 said:
Popeye said:
Mini mites with an added waxie for gills. Crawlers on a crawler harness for Walleyes

Thought I was the only one to use Mini-Mites. :mrgreen:

Dang it, minimites were my ace in the hole. Guess I'm going mini mite on the back of a small spinner just to look a little different :D

BTW, I bought a map today (price was right) for Waubesa. I went to plug in the coordinates of the fish cribs and found these maps on my fishfinder. Gotta love the ONE foot contour lines! And the docks show up real nice too. (The blue shading is from last friday fishing. Locally I found the bass in 10-12 foot range (edge of weeds) in the clear water of a local lake.)

2011-06-22waubesa2.jpg

2011-06-22waubesa1.jpg

No, it's part of the northern chip I bought when I first got the fish finder. between the two maps,theres lots of good info.

That's awsome detail. Which map company is that chip from?

When its all said and done, I'll still have the biggest bags of fish for the day. :mrgreen:

I've got a "Hot Spots" northern chip that doesn't go that in detail. It does show the same info as the Hot Spots map I bought for Waubesa/Kegonsa. You using Lowrance or Humminbird?

Popeye said:
I've got a "Hot Spots" northern chip that doesn't go that in detail. It does show the same info as the Hot Spots map I bought for Waubesa/Kegonsa. You using Lowrance or Humminbird?
It's a navionics northern "premium hot maps" that includes 1000 "exclusive high definition lake maps with up to 1 ft contours". So 17000 lakes and only a few have this detail. This will be the second lake I fished that has that detail,it didn't help me catch any more last time :)
And it's in a humminbird fish finder.

Considering upgrading from my Lowrance LMS-522c iGPS to either a Humminbird SI or sticking with Lowrance and their Structure Scan. This will happen after this fishing season though.

Popeye said:
Considering upgrading from my Lowrance LMS-522c iGPS to either a Humminbird SI or sticking with Lowrance and their Structure Scan. This will happen after this fishing season though.
I bought the Humminbird 798 last year for side imaging, don't really know how I fished without SI before. It's small, but works well enough. When I was purchasing, the HB was cheaper for entry level side imaging, and more importantly the customer service was ranked really high -and I used it once to fix the card slot,it was all repaired in a week, no questions asked. Lately I've heard good things about Lowrance customer service, so I think they leveled the playing field a lot. I like my hb cause it's fairly intuiative to use. But I'm sure I would swear by Lowrance if I had one. It would be interesting to test them side by side.

I'm almost giddy here! I got a package from JDBaits of some 'leftover' pours to give out. He put some fatboys, stickbaits, tricks, frogs, mudbugs, etc - it looks like a little of everything he makes - TWO gallon bags full of good stuff! The are all dark colored so it should work AWESOME - you'll want to make sure you pick some of these up before you go out Saturday.

The only problem I have is deciding which bait to go with, the dinero worms from Get5lures or the JDBaits. I'm for sure going to throw one of the frogs for a while - they look like real fishkillers! Thinking my coangler and I will flip a coin to see who throws what.

Please remember to support the sponsors here! They do some awesome work and have been very helpful. I offered to buy the giveaways, but they were willing to give them to us - even covered postage.

https://www.jdbaits.com/index.htm
https://www.getfivelures.com/
https://www.buildyourownbaits.com/

wasilvers said:
I'm almost giddy here! I got a package from JDBaits of some 'leftover' pours to give out. He put some fatboys, stickbaits, tricks, frogs, mudbugs, etc - it looks like a little of everything he makes - TWO gallon bags full of good stuff! The are all dark colored so it should work AWESOME - you'll want to make sure you pick some of these up before you go out Saturday.

The only problem I have is deciding which bait to go with, the dinero worms from Get5lures or the JDBaits. I'm for sure going to throw one of the frogs for a while - they look like real fishkillers! Thinking my coangler and I will flip a coin to see who throws what.

Please remember to support the sponsors here! They do some awesome work and have been very helpful. I offered to buy the giveaways, but they were willing to give them to us - even covered postage.

https://www.jdbaits.com/index.htm
https://www.getfivelures.com/
https://www.buildyourownbaits.com/

Good luck with em, can't wait to read the results! There's also some of everything there except 3" sticks, I planned for them on the 2nd stick batch but time ran short and wanted to make sure they got there in time

Popeye said:
I would love to spend a little time with you checking out how it works if you wouldn't mind.

Absolutely. I really want to use it to find the cribs. I've never fished over cribs before and think it would something different to try.

I updated the first post with whose coming - you'll have to interpret the pictures. We're back up to 5 now. Should be a good time!

The second annual WI/IL Tinboats tourney is in the books! Here is an extended writeup of the trip. If you just want to know who won, scroll fast!

Teams wasilvers, Hanr3 & Popeye arrived Friday within about an hour of each other and setup their campsites. Popeye’s better half drove this into camp, and we knew we had a challenge on our hands keeping her out of the winners circle!
2011-06-24Popeyes_Brides_truck.jpg

Hanr3 brought a huge ‘dining fly’ which provided much appreciated shade. Two of the teams did some pre-fishing since it was our first time on the lake. Hanr3’s son caught 2 or 3 bass, one being really nice – they figured they had found their honeyhole for tourney. That first night was spent comparing maps, sharing observations, and even some location sharing. It was great to see fishermen sharing to make the experience better for everyone! My daughter (coangler) could hardly sleep that night! Morning came early with a 6am start and boat prep took priority over breakfast, coffee, & making lunches
https://www.silversstars.com/forumposts/2011-06-25Popeye-goodmorning.jpg[img]

We watched most boats unload, but without BYOB this year, there was no real show to speak of (had to work that in there :twisted: )
[img]https://www.silversstars.com/forumposts/2011-06-25_launching_boats.jpg

After passing out doorprized to all the anglers participating ( A HUGE THANKS TO JDBAITS AND GETFIVELURES FOR THE AWESOME PACKAGES THEY SENT!!! – everyone recieved an assortment of JDBaits plastics and one or two packages of dineros from GetFiveLures. All were very thankful for the sponsors support! Also thanks to BYOB for painting a SPECIAL LURE for the winning team. Special group of sponsors we have here - please support them!)
We blasted off at 6am. The weather had cleared overnight, so not a cloud in the sky and a 5-10 mph wind. Beautiful conditions – for pictures….

The fish decided to take the day off. In the first 5 minutes I caught a 13” bass (bass have to be 14”) and thought it was going to be a GREAT day. 2 hours and no bites later, I realized I was in trouble. We used topwaters, frogs, spinnerbaits, crankbaits, etc. I tried 0-2, 2-4, 4-6, and 12-14 feet of water. About 10am with the sun beating on us, we went to fish docks. Tried some jigs and got zilch, tied on my favorite lure, a 4” grub, and got bit on my second cast, another 13” bass :? . About noon we went really shallow and had 4-6 blowups in the slop we could find, but couldn’t connect with any of them. Tried white, yellow, black and green, guess they didn’t like any of those colors enough to get a good hook in their mouth. After another run across the lake, we were just about out of gas, literally and figuratively, and just fished within sight of the ramp. Missed another 3 blowups on topwater in the shallows, then started seeing perch. So we switched about 1pm for panfish. In the next 2.5 hours we caught 5 panfish. At least we’d have something to contribute to the fish-fry. We were getting bites, but not always connecting, after a while, my daughter noticed that all the bites had stopped. I got an idea and tied on a red and black spinnerbait. Second cast netted this northern..
2011-06-25small-pike.jpg

About 10 casts later I caught a MUCH bigger northern. So big, I couldn’t net him and was really hesitant to bring him in the boat. Did the release of grabbing the spinnerbait and trying to work it loose. In hindsight it would have made a great picture – my daughter did snap this…
2011-06-25biggerpike.jpg

We got back to the ramp for weigh-in excited to see the big bass and crappie pulled by the master tinboats anglers.
Unfortunately, it turns out we were one of the lucky teams to actually land fish. Team trrads was the only other team to bring fish to the weigh-in. Here are ttrads winning bass
2011-06-25winning-bass.jpg

I did get a picture of my gills and perch
2011-06-25winningpanfish.jpg

We grabbed a few photos of members- Team popeye called it an early day and had pulled their boat and had already been back to camp.
2011-06-25teampopeye.jpg

Team truckhuntfish was the only team to fish by themselves. Something about a guy with a truck and boat that gals can’t resist (check out the ones over his left shoulder checking him out!) I wonder WHY he didn’t catch any, maybe a few distractions???
2011-06-25teamtruckhuntfish.jpg

Team Hanr3 ran all over the lake looking for fish. They ran out of gas and were nearly out of battery power by the end of the day. The battery wasn’t the only thing tired after that day…
2011-06-25teamhanr3.jpg

With the lack of fish, the fishfry was put on hold till next year. We did have dessert though
2011-06-25toasting-marshmellows.jpg

I really enjoyed the trip, camping next to Hanr3 is always a learning experience. He has so many tips and tricks – I think he could write a book! Now if only we could tell the fish when to bite, it would be a perfect weekend :D

First off, the trip was great. Meet some great people, camped with some new friends, and had a great time camping. It was awesome to have the sites next to each other.

For those concerned about towing with 8" trialer tires. I towed my boat 200 miles each way @ 65 mph, hubs were still cool to the touch. No problems. I have no concerns about a 8hour trip with them. I did grease the hubs before the trip, first time since last spring. I like the "bearing buddies".

I also replaced my trialer lights with LEDs, and made a new winch post, both worked great. I'll update the respective threads.

Food was great, had venison steak both nights.

Onto the fishing report, nothing to report.
Friday night my oldest son catches a nice 16" Bass, pic below. Hooked into a couple more, but failed to land them. We found our spot for the tournament.
Saturday we head back to the spot, I cuaght a 4" bass, pic below. Caught a clam, photo didn't come out. Then we didn't catch a thing other than salad the rest of the day. Nothing, not even a nibble. Burned 5 gallons of gas checking every spot we could think of. Ran out of gas 50 yards from the boat dock. Trolling motor was on high but we were barely moving. Drained the battery trolling though all the weeds during the day. The lake was in full algi bloom. We constantly fought weeds and algi all day long. I was marking fish, changed lures a million times, yet nothing. Smae story from most other anglers I talked too during the day.
I'll let WASilvers post up the tournament results. :mrgreen:
Suffice to say, we didn't place in the money, however it was a great time and I look forward to the next tournament.

Attachments

• TinBoats 2011-6-25 001.JPG
    TinBoats 2011-6-25 001.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 648
  • TinBoats 2011-6-25 006.JPG
    TinBoats 2011-6-25 006.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 648
  • TinBoats 2011-6-25 003.JPG
    TinBoats 2011-6-25 003.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 648

Latest posts