Tinboats Tournament June 25th-RESULTS post #219 (pg15)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found another map of Lake Waubesa. In the spirit of competition. You'll have to find it on your own. :mrgreen:

Hint:
https://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/maps/DNR/0803700a.pdf

:beer:

Just so y'all know... I heard tell (from a friend who has a friend that fishes there quite a bit), that there are currently limits of Walleye being taken after the sun goes down. I would imagine that a few are taken around sunrise as well. Not sayin' the bite will be hot for them in late June though.

Costs-

Been reading through the last 6 pages trying to calculate costs, excluding gas, food, beverages, and bait.
$60- Campsite- 2 nights + reservation fee
$24- 4 day non-resident fishing liscense- Friday evening, Saturday, and Sunday morning.
$24- Boat launch fee, $8 per day.
$20- Tournament entrance fee.
$30- Firewood ($3 per bundle) Not unusual for me to sit around the campfire till the wee hours of the morning. Plus I generally cook all my meals over the campfire. Total= $158

Missing anything besides food, gas, beverages, and bait?

You are ALL welcome to join me, bring a campchair and a beverage. I'll be reserving site #28 this weekend.

Popeye said:
Did you buy your Lake Access permit yet? Is that the same one sold on line? Can you buy it at the park?

I beleive the 'lake access permit" is the same as the 'boat launch fee". Quoted from the city webpage " Lake Access Permits (formerly Boat Launch Permits) are required year-round at City of Madison and Dane County launching sites." It is only $8 a day for both residents and non-residents.

Only one month to go!!!

Sounds right, but was wondering if I need to buy it on line or can I buy one at the park? Hate to find out on Friday afternoon I can't get one up there. As a matter of fact, I need to buy one for this Friday so I can scout out the lake.

For Friday, weather.com says:

Partly cloudy
66/50
10% chance of precipitation

Accuweather says:
Partly cloudy
65/49
4% Thunderstorm probability

Friday night Accuweather says thunderstorms and weather.com says showers.

Do you know something they aren't telling?

Hanr3 said:
I have site #28 reserved.

Who's up for a meet and greet Friday night?

I'm figuring on getting up there between 1:00 and 2:00pm. Plenty of time to set up camp (takes about an hour). Not sure if we're gonna go out in the boat that afternoon or not. Other than that, a meet and greet sounds good to me.

Since this is a fishing and camping outing I figured I would need to look over the lake to see what I could see. First off I heard tell there was some good Walleye action near one of the bridges. Not a bad place to cast to from shore, but by boat... Narrow openings in the people walkway, very low (remove the butt seat from up front and crouch down in the cockpit low). Then the river is so shallow after the bridge, I had to tilt the main motor up and readjust the trolling motor so the motor was just barely submerged. Spooked a couple eyes going in, didn't get anything though. Motored out to the main lake body and looked around. Not having a clue where to start, I looked for other fishermen. Saw a couple boats going up one shore line so I motored over that way. Nice break from 10 to 25 feet and some marks on the sonar just above the bottom. Worked an area to the North of the other boat and soon enough in 25 FOW, I had a solid hit and I set the hook. Nice strong fighting fish and when I got it to the surface, she opened her mouth and swam away. Never hooked a Walleye that deep before so I guess I either overestimated my hook setting ability or I underestimated the water's resistance on my line. Not planning on making that mistake again. Drifted/trolling motored through the area a couple more times and another hit. Hard hook set and brought a nice Walleye aboard. this one was at least 3" shorter than the first one and this one measured 17". Missed a 20"! One more drift before setting off to investigate more of the lake and I boated an 11.75 White Bass. While I was stowing the rod, the other one had some action and I brought up a little Smallie. Released that and motored around. Saw a small flotilla working one corner of the lake and after watching for a while, decided they were after Pan fish. This was confirmed when I saw a couple of guys with a small basket of Crappies at the dock when I recovered my boat. After watching for a while I went and worked the break on the other side of the lake and had no action at all. Decided to head in and home.

They are serious about invasive species up there as there was guy at the ramp reminding me that I needed to dump my minnows in the trash, drain all water from my boat and inspect for plants that may be hung up on the boat or trailer.

Picture time:

White Bass
11_75-inch_White_Bass.JPG

17" Eye
17-inch_Eye.JPG

20" Eye
20-inch_Eye.JPG

Told ya it got away...

Hey, guys... I've been away and missed a ton of messages. I still want to join this outing with my own boat and was given permission by WA Silvers.

Is there an updated list of expected attendees available? rich

richg99 said:
Hey, guys... I've been away and missed a ton of messages. I still want to join this outing with my own boat and was given permission by WA Silvers.

Is there an updated list of expected attendees available? rich

Updated as of 5/18 in post 1

Well...Unfortunately I am not going to make it this year. Someone is taking off work that same week so looks like I'm out. Maybe next year.

Anyone know where is a good place to buy small minnows up there. I bought mine at Gander Mountain in Kenosha the night before I went up there. Rather not do that for this trip but sice I will be driving past there on the way I suppose I could. Don 't think this will affect anyone but me, but the bridges over the Fox Chain on RT 173 are single lane only and with the amount of traffic, that means long delays. That's why I'm going North to HWY 50 before I turn West.

ITGuy said:
Well...Unfortunately I am not going to make it this year. Someone is taking off work that same week so looks like I'm out. Maybe next year.
Bummer, hope you can make the next one!